Quantcast

Snooks Nose: MTB Friendly - Yes or No?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Hmmm...think I found that answer. Believe this weekend I'll have a little ride on it.
http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/GoogleMaps/Biking/Mountain/SnooksNose.html

Edit: To the old schoolers and lurkers...this was the ride known as "Fred's Deathmarch Frozen Shuttle in 28 degree weather on 45lb DH bikes climbing a paved road in the snow for 8 miles uphill and pedaling 5 miles on pavement at the end because we were stupid and had left cars at the bottom of Kitsuma" day.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Hmmm...think I found that answer. Believe this weekend I'll have a little ride on it.

Edit: To the old schoolers and lurkers...this was the ride known as "Fred's Deathmarch Frozen Shuttle in 28 degree weather on 45lb DH bikes climbing a paved road in the snow for 8 miles uphill and pedaling 5 miles on pavement at the end because we were stupid and had left cars at the bottom of Kitsuma" day.
I remember that ride that day. I was on Eddie’s old Fose Wesel. The ride down was fun, but I also remember it being a hour+ shuttle too?

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Hah hah...I know how to incite response.

But seriously, look at the map I posted. It's an easy shuttle if the FS road is not closed. The day we did it, we drove up a paved road (Lake Tahoma Rd) 4 miles East past this dirt road and drove up to the Parkway from there. The Parkway was closed because of the incoming snow storm. (Boy...wasn't that foreboding!)

From the Parkway we rode West on the closed Parkway for 6 miles before crossing Curtis Creek Rd (shown on the map).

All we gotta do is park at the base of Curtis Creek and drive up (or climb)the dirt road. It is the equivalent of doing Kitsuma twice.

If you scroll to the bottom of the map, it shows the elevation profile and the distances. It's 8 miles from the bottom to the top. Distance to ride down...4.5 miles!!!
It's not a benefit to shuttle it if we had to drive all the way to Lake Tahoma Rd, then back on the Parkway..only if the dirt road is open.

Look here;
http://www.carolinamtnclub.com/Profile/254-CurtisCreek-SnooksNose-GreenKnob.pdf

http://facstaff.unca.edu/mcmcclur/GoogleMaps/Biking/Mountain/Kitsuma.html

It's 4.5 miles from the Old Fort picnic ground to the parking lot for Kitsuma, 5.5 miles total climb counting the climb from the parking lot to the pinnacle. It's 3 1/2 miles of descending on Kitsuma and only 1400 feet of elevation change.

Snooks Nose is 4.5 miles of descending and TWICE THAT in elevation!!! 2800 FEET! :D:D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
I am game... I guess one ride like that is ok once a year.

Another fun ride would be at Wilson’s Creek. From the top of Raspberry down to the dirt road 5 miles, climb the dirt road to the hwy 2.5 miles, cross the Hwy to Green town, drop down Green town 3.5 miles, climb up to Bee Hive 3 miles, and then drop down Dee Hive 4+ miles.

That’s like 12.5 miles of down hill. Will only take 25 mins to setup the shuttle.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Having to build up frequent rider miles over the holidays by putting in lots 'o' family time to be able to do more shuttles that far of a drive away. I can get to the base of Curtis Creek in 45 minutes. Did the "shu" Sunday afternoon with two newbies and burned alot of my miles up there. Newbie had 2 rear flats thanks to his "urban assault" thin casing tire and xc tube on his hardtail....newbie...

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Having to build up frequent rider miles over the holidays by putting in lots 'o' family time to be able to do more shuttles that far of a drive away. I can get to the base of Curtis Creek in 45 minutes. Did the "shu" Sunday afternoon with two newbies and burned alot of my miles up there. Newbie had 2 rear flats thanks to his "urban assault" thin casing tire and xc tube on his hardtail....newbie...
Jeremy’s tube blew out on the climb up to the top of Black Mt. Sat. Matt and I thought it was a hunter. About a mile up we both stopped and was like were Jeremy? Road back down and saw him on the ground working on his tire. At first we though he was shoot. Then realized it was his tube that blew on the climb and not a gun. All in all it was a good ride. Matt got rid of his demons, Jeremy laughed his way down the mountain like always, and I had a little spill on the sketched section of BM ¾’s of the way down.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Another fun ride would be at Wilson’s Creek. From the top of Raspberry down to the dirt road 5 miles, climb the dirt road to the hwy 2.5 miles, cross the Hwy to Green town, drop down Green town 3.5 miles, climb up to Bee Hive 3 miles, and then drop down Dee Hive 4+ miles.

That’s like 12.5 miles of down hill. Will only take 25 mins to setup the shuttle.
Let me know if you plan on hitting that loop. I'd be down.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC

That sounds like a fun ride. Who would of ever thought of that? :lighten: :lighten: :lighten:

IN!

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
See post #4 of this thread.
Climbing a 45 pound M1 with an 8 inch Risse Champ, a 46 tooth ring and a road cassette 9 miles up Mt. Mitchell.
Yes that did have to suck!!!! I just remember Eddie's bike being way to small for me and had a very steep head angel like a BMX bike. No wonder he quit racing from flipping over his bars all the time.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
See post #4 of this thread.
Climbing a 45 pound M1 with an 8 inch Risse Champ, a 46 tooth ring and a road cassette 9 miles up Mt. Mitchell.
hey...you mean 6miles ! I pedaled your bike the last 3 miles for you...in a different brand of cleat that wouldn't let me click into your pedals so I just slipped around on those damn road pedals of yours.

That ride was a cake walk compared to the following day when Chris Warren talked Fred into taking me, Ken Lee and Chris's friend on a "DH" run off the parkway in the snow. It was so cold that ice packed up in all our pedals and turned them into solid blocks of ice!!
We couldn't put our feet on the pedals so we all had to sit on the seat and ski-foot the bikes. Worst part was that a good 50% of it was on flat or uphill. Nobody could walk. It took 2 hours to go something like 2.2 miles of trail!!!