Quantcast

>>>snow bike riders unite<<<

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
So over the past couple winters I've seen various posts and threads by the local snow bikers on here. I say it's time we establish ourselves.

so who, where, what...and when do you guys ride?

also, it was brought up in the stevens snow dh thread that perhaps we could have our own snow bike category for the race. that would be epic, and probably one of the 1st of its kind.

thoughts, comments, questions?

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
How cheap could I get a snow bike for, used.

I have been skiing for the last 25 years, but I think it would be fun to ride a snow bike somtime. Maybe someone has a extra one they would let me ride for a day????
I have a pass at snowqulamie....

Liquid10

Monkey
Nov 25, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Isn't there a conversion kit out there for MTBs that replaces the wheels with skis and the cranks with pegs? I'd be interested in that for my old bike:lighten:

Also I heard they rent snowbikes at snoqualmie, is this true???

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
oh man I want on now.

I think ima make one out of some old skies and Skateboard trucks I have from my boardn days.
Ive seen it done before.

If I like if, maybe ill try and buy a bike like the one above :-)

Does stevens pass allow ski bikes?

Sep 8, 2004
That looks like a blast. I haven't really tried skiing/snowboarding yet, but that looks like a fun alternative. Is crystal open to it as well, or just snoqualmie?

-James.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah crystal and snoqualmie are according to the site.

I think, having skied all my life...and getting into freestyle skiing, that these bikes would be sick...for 100 bucks id buy one.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
seeing as how this "sport" if you will, passtime, recreation what ev...is so new, as of now all i know for sure is that snoqualmie and baker allow full access for them.

and it doesn't matter if you think snoqualmie is lame for skiing, this is snow bikes we're talkin, and it's a f*ckin blast.

Well if you guys really wanna check em out now is the time to do somethin about it!

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
hanson ski bike kit, formerly winter-x converts the bikes to ski-bike,
looks cool but its like 130 for just the conversion without ski's...
skate trucks sounds interesting but you would have to figure a way to allow pivoting...

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
well for the skate trucks Id just take a spring for both ends like they have in the conversion kit...and since i have old skies ill just cut them down to size.

I know it can be done, i've seen pictures before.

And its alot cheaper then buying a conversion kit only to find you dont like the sport.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha dont think there are any.

but my bikes almost done, gana finish it this weekend.
Granted its not a real snow bike...but a damn good start till i get money...assuming I really like it.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
oh an by the way, do places that allow ski bikes allow converted bikes too?
a...actually im not sure on that. snoqualmie allows ones with crash cords.

it's so when you fall off, your snow bike (in your case, a 50 pound snow bike) doesn't slide off on its own and kill a whole family.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
haha actually its more like 25-30ibs.

Its my old XC bike with everything taken off.

This is the bike, its not much yet...but the skies will go on this weekend. *notice the pegs for my feet :-)*

kona-ryder

Monkey
Jul 18, 2006
Above you on the podium.
Dude I have that same bike, except mine is like the moab xcr (xc race) version. Tell me how that conversion goes and what it cost. I was thinking about transforming my moab into a snow beast.

You might want to wrap an old tire around those pegs to avoid nuttage on crossbar. Not a good mix.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Well Im basically doing this because I have everything I need, and I trashed all the parts on the Schwinn from jumping it, so I couldnt get any money for it.

I have old skies, wood, and pegs lien around...
I did go to the hardware store to buy some stuff to attach the pegs, my main problem was that I put rubber inbatween the washers and the frame *for the pegs* but I went I started bunny hoping the bike around...I didnt notice it, but at the end the pegs were bent at a 45 degree angle to the ground.

The rubber ripped off into the BB and I just tightend the bolts inside the pegs like mad...it works great now.

But yeah, if anyone wants, when Im done Ill write a "review" and instructions on how to do it.

http://www.instructables.com/id/EIPRYOA60REV2Z4M07/?ALLSTEPS
^I just found this...hes got the right idea.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
hmmmm. well that's cool. but from what i've noticed, 80% of slope action is all about image and fashion, so yeah. i wouldn't have the balls to rock that.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
Wow how have I missed this thread?

My name is Duane I live in Vancouver WA and have been ski biking for years. We ride at Hoodoo and in the mount Hood and St. Helens back country....also enjoy back country snowcat ski'ing at Anthony Lakes

I manufactured my own mounts and my brother has a Xbike kit.
There is only about a dozen kits left then they'll be gone for good.
For new and used skibike equipment check out Randy at http://www.skibikefun.com/

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
"bcd"
Parabolic ski's work very well, and the wider the ski the better it works in powder. But the wider the board the harder it is to set an edge and you have got to be able to get the ski on edge or your not going to have a very good time on the bike :banghead:. Old school straight cut ski's work well in groomed or packed (icy) conditions and moderate powder, and do actually have a couple of advantages, they are faster when letting the bike run in a straight line and you can actually hold your ski's on edge and run the bike in a straight line where parabolic ski's want to carve and turn by nature when put on edge.

When set up correctly a ski bike can handle deep powder very well.
There are even a few resorts (www.anthonylakes.com) that allow ski bikes on back country snowcat trips.:clapping:

We had an unbelievable day at Hoodoo yesterday. Near perfect conditions and it was just a beautifull day to be shreddin the mountain and bringing in the New Year...
Here is a pic of my bro with his Xbike equipted ski bike on the summit of Hoodoo.

The NYE party was cool but after shreddin the whole mountain all day with little to no lift lines, once they closed all the lifts but one and turned on the lights and 20min wait in the lift line for a min and a half run under the lights was kind of a let down.:huh:

Duane

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
sweeeet. i'm going to bring mine out for the stevens dh race on sunday, i'll be shooting vid but atleast have the ski bike around to show people.

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
sweeeet. i'm going to bring mine out for the stevens dh race on sunday, i'll be shooting vid but atleast have the ski bike around to show people.
Hey I am going to be skibiking next weekend with a guy from Bothel WA, along with guys from BC and other towns around the PS area and Phoenix. We are meeting to do Mt. Hood on Sat and Hoodoo on Sun.:monkeydance:

Have a great winter and get on the skibike
Duane

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
Hey I am going to be skibiking next weekend with a guy from Bothel WA, along with guys from BC and other towns around the PS area and Phoenix. We are meeting to do Mt. Hood on Sat and Hoodoo on Sun.:monkeydance:

Have a great winter and get on the skibike
Duane
that's funny, i'm in bothell right now.

too bad you guys don't come up here?

Cathrine Ann

Chimp
Dec 21, 2011
A, A
I just started snow biking because I have no cartilage in my knees and I LOVE IT!!! However...only Sun Peaks and Lake Louise allow snow bikes (I live near Vancouver, BC) when I live like an hour away from Whistler and they don't allow snow bikes there!! I saw a list of places that allow snow bikes on this website and now I can't find it....:confused: Anyway, there must be a way to get snow bikes on every mountain!!!!!

deweydude

Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Washougal Washington
I just started snow biking because I have no cartilage in my knees and I LOVE IT!!! However...only Sun Peaks and Lake Louise allow snow bikes (I live near Vancouver, BC) when I live like an hour away from Whistler and they don't allow snow bikes there!! I saw a list of places that allow snow bikes on this website and now I can't find it....:confused: Anyway, there must be a way to get snow bikes on every mountain!!!!!
Hey Cathrine welcome! Wow talk about digging up an old thread. Here is that link to skibike friendly resorts,
http://www.ski-bike.org/ski_areas.html do you ride a traditional skibob with footski's or a pegger bike?
More resorts are open to skibobs than peg bikes I suggest calling any resorts near you and check their policies.
If you get a doctors confirmation that you are unable to ski or board traditionaly the can't deny you access under an adaptive program, at least here in the U.S. I am not sure about Ca though!
If you are a facebook user there are a couple good skibike groups on facebook check them out!

Last edited: