Quantcast

snow biking / "snow moto/bmx"

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
so winter will soon be upon us. maybe. this usually means less biking for myself. i have never gottin into skiing or snowboarding and have felt like it's a bit too late for me to want to, considering all my friends have been doing it for years.

i have known for awhile about bike contraptions inabling your mountain bike to have skis instead of wheels. that has always looked kind of sketchy and is expensive.

then i came upon www.crighton.com to see their product.

it's basically about the size of a large bmx or cruiser, kind of like a street mtb size. pretty beefy lookin. steel main frame, bmx bar, real headset.

then i found one on ebay for a killer deal. they retail for $240 which still doesn't seem to bad, but i got it for $140 new in box.

The website says that snoqualimie and baker allow open access for these things, so i geuss they maybe have seen some sort of bike ski devices before on our passes. it does not list stevens tho. if stevens did not allow them it would say no access, but they just aren't listed. so hopefully they havn't even heard of them yet and may allow them.

but anyways i wanted to see what the local scene here thinks of this sort of thing. it looks really fun to me, should ride similar to a bike too.

so, who's with me?!?

(looks like they can take a pounding)

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Doesn't look like much to put your feet on....:think:

OTher than that they look cool. I would pad that bad boy up because I would be eating it regularly...:think:.....no different than DHing I guess. :D

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
oly said:
I'd like to try one....

PS, snowboarding is easy to learn.... do it while your still young.... haha
yea i should have learned in back in the day when everyone else did. now i want to avoid the couple year learning period while everyone else knows what they are doing.

this way i can perhaps haev even more fun, considering the balance will be just like a bike, then progress faster from there. all while looking super oh-ridge-on al-yo.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Actually, some version of that has been around for about 10 years now. Walking through the SIA show in Vegas, you'd see all kinds of stuff from China or Europe for sale. Oddly enough never from the US. One year, we had some french guys with their version in the booth next to ours.
They were doing crazy stuff in the promo video I would never think of and breaking bikes left and right. But, those guys could party....
Snocrummy actually rented them for a few years. Might still do it.
Always looked like fun but rarely saw anyone else using them.

For $140 it's probably even worth it for the local golf course if we get any snow. but, yeah, I'd pad it up full ghetto style because you will crash.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
HenryTheHammer said:
I wonder if they would let you on the lift with that thing?
the bottom side of that seat there slided on top of the seat of the lift, then you can either sit over it or above it. you could even still hang onto the bars.

if their arguement is that it can come off and hit someone below, then they should know that it is attatched to you via crash cord.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
downhillracer said:
I got all my friends and i sponsored by crighton
so we'll be going up to snoqualmie pretty much every saturday this winter to rip it up
for serious?

please eleborate.

also sent you a PM

please respond

Bldr_DH

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
NO BO CO
Hey, awesome to see some more Crighton riders. I've been riding mine for two years now. Fast&Smooth, you should join the forums on the site.

Downhillracer, since you're sponsored, I'd imagine you're on the forums. What are you/your friends' usernames? I'm Yosei.