Quantcast

SNow BoaRDing

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
So i've just started and have been to SouthLake Tahoe the last 2 Christmases and want to go to another place.
I was thinking about Whistler but it's a little(lot) expensive and my buddy doesnt wana go through the trouble of getting his wife a visa (russian.)
So where in north america is 'the' place to go? It needs to have some bunny slopes for his wife, she's never done it and is 'frail.'

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Whistlers iffy...I went and the snow sucked ass while I was there...and there were a ton of euro's in aspen suits...but the mountain was f'n incredible...so if you live there, you're stoked cuz when a storm hits you're in like flynn...

I mean iffy if'n y'all're plannin a trip...you plan, you pay, you may not get good snow.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i would say you need to go to summit county CO, there are so many options...i went there for a week last winter and hit Vail,Copper,A-Basin,Beaver Creek and breck. All of those are within about 20 min of each other...go in late feb and you should be :thumb:

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Salt Lake City has some of the best snow I've seen going up the valley. And you've got a bunch of choices of resorts.

I second the iffy Whistler bit. We planned, we paid, snow (slush) sucked. But I hear it's great when there is good snow.

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Another vote for SLC. Brighton has to be one of the coolest places Ive ridden. ALso, its not all that far from where you are (compared to east coast) and has alot of options Very close to the city.

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
Yeah if it's "best place in North America" definitely hit up somewhere in the rockies. If you're already out west, try Mammoth, but the Sierra Nevada snow sucks compared to Rockies snow.. or so I've heard.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Scarpa said:
Yeah if it's "best place in North America" definitely hit up somewhere in the rockies. If you're already out west, try Mammoth, but the Sierra Nevada snow sucks compared to Rockies snow.. or so I've heard.
anyplace is close becuase i'll have to fly.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
1 vote for Big Sky / Moonlight basin / Bridger bowl -- all 30 mins - 1 hour from Bozeman (BZN) Montana airport.

Not as much to do (shopping/entertainment-wise), but if your 'frail' friend tires of skiing, she can take a snowmobile tour of old faithful, or try x-country skiing...

Palilla

Monkey
Jul 20, 2004
If your going to CO, check out Copper Mtn, it has a good snowboard seen, plus the park there is pretty crazy.

If you want big mountain, a ton of good woods runs and nothing too crowded check out Kirkwood at Tahoe.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Palilla said:
If your going to CO, check out Copper Mtn, it has a good snowboard seen, plus the park there is pretty crazy.

If you want big mountain, a ton of good woods runs and nothing too crowded check out Kirkwood at Tahoe.
yea kirkwood had snow last year when southlake didnt, we might end up there. f*** houston had more snow than heavenly did (while we were there. It started snowing the morning we left and i believe it just quit last month.)
SkaredShtles that's on our list too.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The Toninator said:
<snip>
SkaredShtles that's on our list too.
Colorado is a huge crapshoot at Xmas, but even if they haven't gotten "real" snow, Vail will have made $hitloads of the fake stuff.

And if you're lucky, Xmas could look like this. (This was actually T-giving, but you get the idea):

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
merrrrjig said:
Colorado, but theres a lot of rich people, utah, tahoe, mammoth. Ive only boarded mammoth, but colorado and utah seem like theres a lot to do!
Utah is definitely tops if you're going specifically for the skiing. If you want skiing *and* nightlife, you need to head to Vail.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
The Toninator said:
a quick re-read of the original post will answer that question.
you said you went to south lake,, i asked what resorts??.. kirkwood's good. northstar, heavenly is big too, but lots of skiers

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
id definatley stay out west. up here in new england the real snow doesnt start to fly usually until january. while the big places, killington, mt snow, attitash, etc all make snow in november, its all ice until the real stuff comes down

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
luken8r said:
id definatley stay out west. up here in new england the real snow doesnt start to fly usually until january. while the big places, killington, mt snow, attitash, etc all make snow in november, its all ice until the real stuff comes down
And then it's all ice 2 days after the real stuff came down. :p

Scarpa

Chimp
Aug 31, 2005
Felton
The Toninator said:
I've only done heavenly.
I'm sorry. :(

Check out Kirkwood for sure next time you're in Tahoe. Not the biggest mountain but killer terrain and it's a little higher than the rest of the Tahoe area resorts so the snow is better. Been my "home" mountain for the past 5 seasons.