Snow Race at Blue Mountain Cancelled

evolutionbike

Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
Baltimore
NO SNOW NO RACE

*** FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE ***

WINTER DOWNHILL BIKE RACE AT BLUE MOUNTAIN CANCELLED

The 2007 Winter Downhill Bike Race scheduled for Saturday, January 6, at Blue Mountain Ski Area (Palmerton, PA), has been cancelled, due to unseasonably warm temperatures and a lack of snow on the mountain. As of today, there is no snow even on "Raceway" (the trail that the downhill race takes place on), and there are only seven trails (out of 25) on the entire mountain that have snow on them and are open for skiing. The event was to be co-sponsored by Blue Moutain Ski Area, Eastern Schuylkill Recreation Commission (ESRC), WZZO and Ed's Course Designers. Due to these unfortunate weather-related circumstances, this year's race has been cancelled and will not be rescheduled. The annual event will resume in January 2008. We apologize for any inconveniences this may have caused. Should you need further information, please contact ESRC Executive Director Jason Boris at 570-668-2919 or via email at esrcrec@hotmail.com.
Thanks,
~ Jason ~

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
These warm temps are a bit of a bummer as far as snow goes. Wintergreen down the road from me is hurting pretty bad too. I decided to hit the trails myself this weekend.

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
Yea i guess you have a point. Is blue mountain a different mountain then blue knob? If not didnt they have a race over the summer.

Mar 30, 2006
Crofton, MD
You think that these local resorts would push mtb style parks like Diablo or Snowshoe especially in these mild Winters. We'd all be up there, spending our cash and riding. It was 75 degrees on Sat! I don't know what they are thinking.

Send the resorts some emails today...

mike

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
You think that these local resorts would push mtb style parks like Diablo or Snowshoe especially in these mild Winters. We'd all be up there, spending our cash and riding. It was 75 degrees on Sat! I don't know what they are thinking.

Send the resorts some emails today...

mike
Deja vu.... Blue Mtn would be awesome for mtn bking... 1000' elevation... nice woods between the trails... smallish "lower base'lodge" (so they wouldn't need to open the larger upper lodge)... high-speed detachable quad from bottom to top...

We've been having this discussion for years...

Unfortunately, the owners of the mtn are simply not interested.

The snow race in the past was basically held on their boarder-cross course and made entirely from snow. It was fun... but as soon as I was done, I was quite happy to get back on my skis... After all of the runs on the course, it got rutted up pretty badly...