Quantcast

Snow race, so good

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
Hats off to Steven's pass for hosting a fun race. It was all about having fun, and fun it was. The course went through the terrian park; the start was pedaly rollers, little jump, then the ruts. That's when it got pretty crazy. 4 people fighting for the first turn sliding around then a really steep pitch to a 35 to 40mph big ass berm that you could pass on the inside. then from there a high speed off camber corner to a table and the ruts got really interesting from there. After the table a right hander that you could go off the bank if you didn't check your speed just right. Too much brake and your getting passed. From that corner, the straight to the finish with lots of cross ruts and a good size table. There was a rainbow box you could ride too after the finish. 75 racers in all, a pretty good turn out. The wind was brutally cold, but all in all a good time.:thumb:

kinghami3

Future Turbo Monkey
Jun 1, 2004
Ballard 4 life.
I wanted to go watch, but I wasn't sure about the spectator situation. How was that? I hope it was popular enough to happen again next year, maybe I will have a working bike.

trailhacker

Turbo Monkey
Jan 6, 2003
In the hills around Seattle
Mut said:
After the table a right hander that you could go off the bank if you didn't check your speed just right.
I was talking to Brian Bartlett before I left and he said he did just that. He said he ended up about 15 feet down the bank, just short of the trees. Took him a bit to get back up to the top.

sad panda

Monkey
May 5, 2005
I had an awesome time. Stevens Pass was did have some of the confusion as expected (Riders missing heats, no rider meeting as posted, waits), but overall it was a killer time and a pretty good event. I was a little bummed I crashed in the finals, but just about everyone felll once. Congrats to bib 144 who smoked me in the first heat, and we battled in the next few, but ended up taking it for the 21+ class.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
trailhacker said:
I was talking to Brian Bartlett before I left and he said he did just that. He said he ended up about 15 feet down the bank, just short of the trees. Took him a bit to get back up to the top.
In one of the heat races Boe went flying past me like I was standing still right into that corner......then he crashed:) Yeah it was nuts, just about anyone could win. Luck played a big part. Your hauling ass, next thing you know your back wheel decides to take a different line then your front wheel! Out of the corner of your eye you can see your rear wheel coming around and all you can do is hold on!

L

Lightninleana

It was an absolute blast. I had no idea what I was doing, and only started to get the hang of it at the end, but I would definatly do it again. Mad props to Stevens for putting it on.

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
I would have to agree, the race at Stevens ROCKED!!!!!! I was the lucky bib #144. Fortunately i never crashed the whole day, but the race was handed to me in the Main 21+ Mens. I went from last to first in a couple of turns due to Monkeys falling. Sorry about that guys but, guess it goes to the last man standing!! My first ever race was very exciting and memorable to say the least! Again, Thanks to Stevens Pass for a killer race!!! Mike Garrett

Radarr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
Montana
I know there were people up there with cameras, lets get some more pics posted.

BTW, can't wait for the next race. Maybe FSN Latin America will be there again to make my helmet famous in Mexico.

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
yea i flew through the first berm and some dude got it and said "NICE" but i'm pretty sure i'll never see it :-( unless i search like every person in the world's own picture sites

Fast&Smooth

Monkey
Jun 24, 2002
Bothell, WA
i don't suppose you captured any of me? i came in way behind after a couple crashes then crashed right at the finish line going too fast. green bike with camo tape and gray pants/black jacket with grey 661 helmet and blue lens goggles

Tonic

Chimp
Jul 18, 2004
Seattle, WA
Project 529 was out an enjoying the day for sure. Marsh, Ty, and I along with special guest Super Bunny made the trip. As Mut described, the course was a blast and Stevens put on a good time. It'd be sweet if they did a dh winter series...

Where were you Five?!

Grub, with a camera like that, we have new expectations. :)

Five

Turbo Monkey
Mar 8, 2003
West Seattle, WA
Tonic said:
Project 529 was out an enjoying the day for sure. Marsh, Ty, and I along with special guest Super Bunny made the trip. As Mut described, the course was a blast and Stevens put on a good time. It'd be sweet if they did a dh winter series...

Where were you Five?!

Grub, with a camera like that, we have new expectations. :)
Yeah, I couldn't make it. I was at Salty's having brunch.

Qman

Monkey
Feb 7, 2005
Looks like fun. Anyone care to share thoughts on tire choices for next time?

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
I Ran 5 Psi In Front (new Gazzi G), And 10 Psi In Back (old Specialized Roller) And Did Great, Well Considering I Won The Mens 21+....... That Race Was Awesome!

Spectating was pretty good. We were able to walk up the course to the last steep section ansd catch some pretty good action. I was pretty amazed at how fast some guys were going into the last steep left hander...it looke pretty hairy!!! Saw some pretty good crashes, but everybody got right back up.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
It was a great day. I wanted to get more footage from further up, but had to stay close to the truck to charge my tiny batteries for the camera. The bateries didnt like the cold, thanks Paul for lending me snow pants. Big-a batteries are in the mail, of course I should get them today, just a bit too late.

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
Everyone should email Stevens pass on how much of a good time they had. I was talking to Munley at the race, and guess Stevens pass put in there 20 year plan to the forest service. They mentioned in detail in the proposal how they want to open for mt.bikes in the summer, and have man made jumps and stuff just like Whistler. And they actually reffered to Whistler in the plan. So everyone email STEVENS PASS!!

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Wow holy crap that looked totally fun! How come i didn't hear about that?! That looks like it would be a blast to ride!

Hey Mut did that upper half of Little Bald Mountain ride we did help prepare you for this race? haha.

Also do we have an email address and a name to email. That way our requests and promises of attendance goes to the important ears...

Mut

Monkey
Dec 23, 2004
Renton, WA
I sent an email to info@stevenspass.com I titled it mt.bike race. So hopefully it will go to the right people. I was actually told that we should email them by one of the promoters to show support for Mt. Biking. Skook, yeah that ride totally helped. Bigger tires for next race though.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
Fatty tires and a low CG. I'd say lower that seat. After watching vid from the race, most of the faster riders were using their body to control thier center of gravity. Others were skiing on their feet but were on their tip toes instead of on the soles.

ggrubb

Monkey
Jul 3, 2002
Endub Empire
elRey said:
that bunny is pretty much the steeziest thing ive seen ever
Ive seen spandex, mullets, tutu's........ BUT, I must say, the Bunny takes it.

Can you imagine battling it out, and in the final straight away looking over at your competition and he has this look on his face, and you know that you are beaten............

MotoXmg

Chimp
Mar 7, 2004
Hood River, Oregon
ggrubb said:
Fatty tires and a low CG. I'd say lower that seat. After watching vid from the race, most of the faster riders were using their body to control thier center of gravity. Others were skiing on their feet but were on their tip toes instead of on the soles.
HEY, GGRUBB......YOU MENTIONED WATCHING VIDEO. DID YOU RECORD THE WHOLE RACE? I WOULD LOVE TO GET MY HANDS ON A COPY! EVEN WILLING TO PAY FOR IT.... LET ME KNOW. THANKS, MIKE

RFR

Chimp
Dec 19, 2005
Los Banos
I sent an email up to Stevens to thank them and let me them know that alot of folks would love to ride this again.

The guy who organized the event for Stevens is Matt Gromley and his email is mgormley@stevenspass.com. Shoot him a quick thanks if you have a chance.

-kevin