Quantcast

Snow Report - Downieville

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Well, after a hard day of trail work on Big Boulder, we shuttled to Packer Saddle ourselves.

First of all Yuba Expeditions, who sponsored this trail daze, has some new vans this year, and they are very plush. We also had the coolest driver, Metal Mike, spinning the tunes.

But the closest we could get to the summit was about a mile down. There were snow banks everywhere, and we spent about an hour total pushing our bikes to the junction of Butcher and Pauley Creek.

However, the lower part of Butcher was rough but fun, and the Divides trails are in pristine condition.

The estimates are about two weeks before majority of the snow melts and the shuttles start up in full force.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Thanks for the report.

I haven't been there in a couple years and I recall that they changed it up a bit. I'm so tempted to take my DH bike, but remember that there was alot of pedaling involved.

Will an older Enduro with just 4" in the front and 5" in the back be good still? I would prefer a 6"and 6", but unfortunately all I have is the 4"/5" and 8"/9"(overkill from what I recall).

Thanks.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Monkeybidnezz said:
Thanks for the report.

I haven't been there in a couple years and I recall that they changed it up a bit. I'm so tempted to take my DH bike, but remember that there was alot of pedaling involved.

Will an older Enduro with just 4" in the front and 5" in the back be good still? I would prefer a 6"and 6", but unfortunately all I have is the 4"/5" and 8"/9"(overkill from what I recall).

Thanks.
I ride a Kona Dawg (the older one with only 4 in the back) and my buddy a Blur XC, and he passes people all the time.

I do like my VP-Free there, but it is overkill. But I chuckle at the pressure suit people. That is way overkill and a little sweaty on the climbs. I usually just wear leg and arm armor.

Monkeybidnezz

Turbo Monkey
Dec 16, 2003
Pac NW
Yeah, that's what I was thinking would be good...Thanks. I sure hope the snow melts up on Butcher by early July. We only got 1 run in there, but it was a lot of fun.

jmeperu

Monkey
Jan 20, 2005
Santa Cruz
last time i went i was going to hit northstar the day after downieville so i brought my V10. it wasnt as bad as i thought it was going to be. i still passed people on the climbs and i shuttled it twice that day. definitately bringing my heckler this time tho.
i cant wat for that damn snow to melt.

North* Dher

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
Colfax
we spent about an hour total pushing our bikes to the junction of Butcher and Pauley Creek.

Are you sure? Were you able to pedal at all?

A couple of years ago it took us about two and half hours to hike the big ass hill, and then down to the trailhead of Butcher.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
North* Dher said:
we spent about an hour total pushing our bikes to the junction of Butcher and Pauley Creek.

Are you sure? Were you able to pedal at all?

A couple of years ago it took us about two and half hours to hike the big ass hill, and then down to the trailhead of Butcher.
We pedaled on and off, probably 50/50. There was no snow in spots where there was direct constant daylight.

It is melting quit a bit, and there are shuttles running.

P.S. Love your avatar. Does it have something to do with riding a long time ago?

North* Dher

Chimp
Jul 23, 2002
Colfax
sanjuro said:
P.S. Love your avatar. Does it have something to do with riding a long time ago?
I used to be real active on this board, the new site wiped out my post count. I ride North* about 30 days during the summer.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
sanjuro said:
I ride a Kona Dawg (the older one with only 4 in the back) and my buddy a Blur XC, and he passes people all the time.

I do like my VP-Free there, but it is overkill. But I chuckle at the pressure suit people. That is way overkill and a little sweaty on the climbs. I usually just wear leg and arm armor.

Leg and arm armor is almost overkill