Quantcast

Snow riding?

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
Does anybody here ride in the snow? We just got 8+ inches of fresh snow today. All I can think about is going to ride on one of the local DH trails. I just wonder if it will be worth while??

For those that do ride in the snow high or low air pressure? The only snow riding I have really done is on groomed ski hills with studded tires. I think I am going to try no studs tomorrow since it is just snow and no ice.

Yes, I know I must be sick in the head. Fresh snow and I am thinking about riding my bike and not going skiing.

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
Snow riding can be a blast as long as the snow isn't so deep or heavy that you can't ride in it. No need for studs unless its icy, for lots of snow big tires so you ride on top, for small amount of snow small tires so you dig through :thumb:

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Winter riding rocks!

I wish I had 8" of snow. Here is just cold and windy, no snow at all. Supposed to snow tomorrow though...

MOTODH

Turbo Monkey
Mar 28, 2005
CT
dhmtbj said:
Snow riding can be a blast as long as the snow isn't so deep or heavy that you can't ride in it. No need for studs unless its icy, for lots of snow big tires so you ride on top, for small amount of snow small tires so you dig through :thumb:

awesome pic. could not imagine djing in the snow, I can barely do dj's on dirt

dhmtbj

Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Boston
MOTODH said:
awesome pic. could not imagine djing in the snow, I can barely do dj's on dirt
haha ya it was a bit sketchy till some tread marks were made...I was rocking semislick tires too:blah:

DHCorky

Monkey
Aug 5, 2003
Headed to the lift...
I just spent the afternoon slipping...sliding..and crashing my way down the hill. Damn it was fun. I have never enjoyed that "oh ****" feeling as your start to go over the bars like today. I guess knowing that I was just going head first into knee deep snow takes the fear away. I made four runs, the first two just trying to clear a path. The last two I was finally able to cruise through some sections. I felt like a beginner again, So many unseen obstacles under the snow deflecting your tires in every direction, it was great!

The jeep road down to the trail was a great place to get the feel of letting the bike slide through corners. The hardpack snow surface was slick but forgiving.

I can't wait to go back tomorrow.

FBTMILF

Monkey
Aug 27, 2005
Colorado
That sounds fun. Too bad that we don't have any snow yet, plus it's so freaking cold that you can't steep out of the door with out having something wet freeze within 5 minutes.