Quantcast

Snow shoe lodgeing?

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Any suggestions?

Minimum of 6 people. With bikes and gear. Dates August 8 - 11.

I am looking for somewhere to reserve during these dates. We would prefer for it to be close if not on the slopes. We have never been before so I am not sure how the area is laid out.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
http://www.sprucerealty.com/

Check the rental link on the bottom. Snowshoe is an upside down resort, meaning the resort is on top of the mountain. Really no bad places to stay. You can ride to the trails within 5 minutes of where ever you stay.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Thanks guys. I will look into both. I can't freaking wait to get up there!!
None of the people going have done anything like the stuff up there, so it will be a weekend of growth and diaper changing due to sh!ting ourselves. lol

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
How is Camp Four in reference to the lifts? The Realtor there said it was about a mile from lift access to the peak?

Post up again before you go. I'm sure you can line up some "guides" to show you around.
I definitely will, thank you!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
How is Camp Four in reference to the lifts? The Realtor there said it was about a mile from lift access to the peak?
You can ride right out of camp 4 straight into the basin trails. It is about a 5 minute ride to the western side where the long DH trails are.

Also check out Treetop. Right next to the village, bike shop, pool and easy accsess to the trails.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Got a group of 8 to 10 + others in NC not with our group coming up for opening weekend. Gotta place at Whistle Punk reserved already, can wait!!!!!:biggrin:

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
You can ride right out of camp 4 straight into the basin trails. It is about a 5 minute ride to the western side where the long DH trails are.

Also check out Treetop. Right next to the village, bike shop, pool and easy accsess to the trails.
Camp 4 are very nice units and relatively new to the mountain. Before you drop down to the basin trail call the MAC (Mountain Adventure Center) and confirm the lift is running. It's a 860ft climb back home. There is a paved path that runs the ridge from near Camp 4 (North Mountain) all the way to the Top of the World (South Mountain) with the Village in the middle.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Yeah you can get away for cheap if you have a group your size. Also if you do go through spruce see if they still offer the 4th night free if you pay for 3.
Yep 4th night is free. Our group only allocated 2 days for riding, but I am feeling a 3rd baby :D.
It sounds like the thought of a possible "guide" or someone from the area to point us in the right direction is a great idea.
The word is spreading through the group now so I will probably put a contract on somewhere next week.
Just realized that it's only 4 months away. I need to start working out more lol.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Oh BTW. Don't count on using your cell phone up there. I think AT&T and Alltel are the only ones that work up there and that's spotty at best. Verizon quits working about 40 miles from the mountain.

There is a radio telescope in the valley to the east at Greenbank that keeps the rf emmissions to a minimum in the area.

We use personal radios to communicate around the mountain and they work pretty well.

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
That is a good heads up. Note to self . . . buy phone cards. Wife wouldn't appreciate not hearing from me more than she doesn't appreciate me not taking her and the kids.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
That is a good heads up. Note to self . . . buy phone cards. Wife wouldn't appreciate not hearing from me more than she doesn't appreciate me not taking her and the kids.
Phone cards good.

Funny story...

My first trip ever to Snowshoe arrive on Monday ride everyday until Thursday. Last run on Thursday back to the condo crash and break my elbow. Laying in the hospital in Elkins awaiting surgery finally get around to call the wife. She spends 10 minutes telling me what a b!tch of a week she's been having and then finally asks how am I doing. "Well I broke my arm and I'm in the hospital." She's like "What?! Why did you let me go on so long!"

So from now on the first question she asks when I call from there is "You're not in the hospital are you?" :D

Hope your first trip goes much better! Wear body armor.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
There is only one place to stay at Snowshoe: The Polypod. Definitely the most unique slope-side accommodation I've ever stayed in!

Streamline

Spammer Extraordinaire
Jul 9, 2007
Broken elbow story is classic.
I was talking to my wife about finding possible places up there to stay and she said something to the effect of her and the kids coming. I swear I could feel the deer in headlights look emanating off of me. Bad thing is she meant it. I then had to do what any other self respecting man would do . . . I told her that she would have to discuss that with her step father cause he was in charge.
He almost shot me when he heard this later. I eventually told her that I didn't want her going because if we broke something or got seriously hurt we didn't want wives there to stop us from riding.

Last year first DH run ever we get off the ski lift a Sugar and I turn to tell my little brother to take it easy first run. Kinda went like this, "Hey take it easy this run, we don't know what . . . Robert . . Rob . . . " Father in law,"Holy crap look at him go!" Me "Sh!t!"
Then he was out of site. He and another fella had taken off. They had no idea that there were trenches across the bloody path. So I am riding my brake like a sissy and I round the corner. Half the group is looking off the side of the mountain through the trees and the other group is watching my brother dance around like a spaz.
Long story shortened, One guy hit the trench and endo'ed right over the edge landing in a bunch of trees, shaken and stirred lol but overall ok. My brother on the other hand managed to break his wrist 3 minutes into the ride.
The rest of the day he layed in the back of the car, I had some 800mg of ibuprofen and flexural due to bruised ribs so he was out. Finally to the point . . the next day we wrapped it and he rode any damn way. I got in trouble for allowing that to happen.

Sorry for the long post lol

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Broken elbow story is classic.
I was talking to my wife about finding possible places up there to stay and she said something to the effect of her and the kids coming. I swear I could feel the deer in headlights look emanating off of me. Bad thing is she meant it. I then had to do what any other self respecting man would do . . . I told her that she would have to discuss that with her step father cause he was in charge.
He almost shot me when he heard this later. I eventually told her that I didn't want her going because if we broke something or got seriously hurt we didn't want wives there to stop us from riding.

Last year first DH run ever we get off the ski lift a Sugar and I turn to tell my little brother to take it easy first run. Kinda went like this, "Hey take it easy this run, we don't know what . . . Robert . . Rob . . . " Father in law,"Holy crap look at him go!" Me "Sh!t!"
Then he was out of site. He and another fella had taken off. They had no idea that there were trenches across the bloody path. So I am riding my brake like a sissy and I round the corner. Half the group is looking off the side of the mountain through the trees and the other group is watching my brother dance around like a spaz.
Long story shortened, One guy hit the trench and endo'ed right over the edge landing in a bunch of trees, shaken and stirred lol but overall ok. My brother on the other hand managed to break his wrist 3 minutes into the ride.
The rest of the day he layed in the back of the car, I had some 800mg of ibuprofen and flexural due to bruised ribs so he was out. Finally to the point . . the next day we wrapped it and he rode any damn way. I got in trouble for allowing that to happen.

Sorry for the long post lol
WE all do it