Quantcast

Snow Summit’s Closure to Downhill Mountain Bike’s

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Starting with the 2005 mountain bike season, Snow Summit Mountain Resort in Big Bear Lake, CA. will no longer allow the hosting of Downhill Mountain Bike races, and they will no longer load DH bikes during its summer Sky Chair operation. This is a response to a combination of legal and environmental issues.

More information at Team Big Bear: http://www.teambigbear.com/

Discussion: http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=104479

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
I'm trying to stay positive in light of this development.

Who knows, maybe this is the opportunity other resorts in SoCal (Mtn High, Bear Mtn-coincidentally owned by Snow Summit so maybe not, and others) need to pick up the slack and offer us SoCals (and others) an alternative venue to go and ride with chairlift access.

Anyways, Snow Summit will still load "xc" bikes.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Just Curious what is the guideline that determines a XC bike from a DH bike?
( I know the difference but I am sure there are several tweeners out there with wild XC's or real mild DH's)

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
There are THREE options as I see it.

1) Get a Motocross bike
2) Get as much bike as you can for 35lbs or less.

The more extreme 3rd option is...

Why does Whistler do well, and BB doesn't? F'n Torte laws, and the Forest Service.
So what do we do?

MEXICO BABY!!
How much would it cost to buy (or better yet, LEASE) some land just south of the border? Only about an hour from SD (or less) and 3 hours from LA.

Find a nice area and let people ride where ever the F they want, Build what they want, and just use a flatbed truck to shuttle people.

How much would that cost?

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
-BB- said:

Why does Whistler do well, and BB doesn't?
Whister does well becase they made such a veriety for every rider. It may not be convienent but they also already made a huge name for themselves for skiiers and snowboarders. You see whistler in most MTB movies and Mags, and BB only on occasions and now we might see more BB in a tribute because it is closing.

Fonzie18

Turbo Monkey
-BB- said:
There are THREE options as I see it.

1) Get a Motocross bike
2) Get as much bike as you can for 35lbs or less.

Why does Whistler do well, and BB doesn't? F'n Torte laws, and the Forest Service.
So what do we do?

MEXICO BABY!!
How much would it cost to buy (or better yet, LEASE) some land just south of the border? Only about an hour from SD (or less) and 3 hours from LA.

Find a nice area and let people ride where ever the F they want, Build what they want, and just use a flatbed truck to shuttle people.

How much would that cost?
There are plenty of DH races and rides in Ensenada. Great trails and riding. But we need another area with a ski lift access..It's going to be extremely hard to replace Summit. :dead:

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Fonzie18 said:
There are plenty of DH races and rides in Ensenada. Great trails and riding. But we need another area with a ski lift access..It's going to be extremely hard to replace Summit. :dead:

What about a nice flat-bed shuttle truck?

Dizzy666

Chimp
Nov 23, 2004
This kinda blows. Idk...im movin to san diego in the summer....is there alotta stuff to ride there..no clue dont know anyone who lives there

Vintendo

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
NJ
It's not a big loss. How can anyone compare SS to Whistler? The trail quality is not even close. Riding on 2 inches of fine dust is not all that fun either.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Vintendo said:
It's not a big loss. How can anyone compare SS to Whistler? The trail quality is not even close. Riding on 2 inches of fine dust is not all that fun either.

Yeah it is if you know how to ride it.

dirt_bandit

Chimp
Dec 7, 2004
****. big bear was so fun. only close place other than fontucky and fontana isnt much. how can you say that. have you ever been there? it says that you live in new jersey (guessin thats what NJ stands for). and there isnt even fine dust up there. it is dusty, ill admit that, but stfu and get over it, its only dust. eric

Vintendo

Chimp
Sep 27, 2004
NJ
I was there in August, so don't tell me to STFU.

Maybe it was a dry summer but there is this fine powdery dust all over.

dirt_bandit

Chimp
Dec 7, 2004
big bear has been in like a 7 year long drought. it doesnt rain there almost everyday like it does up in whistler. have you seen the lake up at big bear? it is soo low its not even funny. if you go the week after it rains the ground is super nice. no dust at all. alot of the soil erosion there is caused by dumbass tourists that have never ridden a downhill bike in there life, or a trail for that matter and overly use the back break and chop the hell out of the trail. sorry for telling you to stfu it just pissed me off that you said "its not a big loss" about a place where i did my first DH race and rode all last summer. ill admit it is nowhere near the quality of whistler or even tahoe for that matter but if youve ever been to northstar its really dusty as well. ttyl eric

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
People need to acknowledge what they can and can't do on a bike. When they attempt stuff they shouldn't, they should suck it up and take themselves to the hospital, not sue the resort.
Any legit riding spot that has been closed is a loss, especially a situation like Big Bear. As far as Brasil goes... Fonzie nos vemos - do they have women down there??

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Whistler owns all their land, where as most places in the U.S. have partnerships with the USDAFS,and they are merely leasing the land, so they still need to follow some guidelines set by the Forest Service.