Quantcast

snow tires for RWD

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
Will they help much?
My car is worthless in the white stuff.
I found a pair mounted to volvo wheels on CL, but if they won't give me the confidence to drive in a blizzard, I don't want them.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
what kind of RWD vehicle is it? and what type of tires do you have on there right now?

they should make a difference, but it really depends on the vehicle, and the driver honestly.....snow tires on my Dakota R/T didnt do crap, so i bought some fancy summer performance tires instead.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When I lived in snow country I drove an '85 Thunderbird. With regular tires I would get stuck on flat plowed parking lots. With 4 snow tires it was awesome.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
When I had my Mustang I couldn't move even with just a dusting of snow. But with studded snow tires I never got stuck without being high centered. I felt like I could go anywhere and often would pass trucks and suvs struggling for traction.

My best story was when I made it up my friends steep driveway on the first try with over a foot of fresh snow. His sister's friends were at the top and were shocked. They were like "So and so tried to get up about a half dozen times in his Cherokee and couldn't make it. He ended up parking next door." This was about an hour earlier with only a few inches of snow.

So yea, snow tires work awesome.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
It's a Volvo 740, 91 or 90, hell I don't know.

If I can get a great deal I may pull the trigger because with L working evenings I won't be able to drive her car.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
buy em. put em on in the winter, take them off in the summer. you won't have to worry about rotating tires (unless you put them back on in exactly the same fashion) and the added traction is so worth it.

I had an MR2 with an open diff that should have been worthless in the snow, but with some good goodyears it went everywhere.

if you drive in the snow often or occasionally, you should have snow tires. if you live someplace where 1" of snow shuts the area down, stick with ATs.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
The new studless tires actually are better on ice than studs. The reason is the decreased contact area. Check out the tirerack tests that prove it. The studs also don't perform very well on dry roads.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
If you're a fvcking idiot, maybe they do. Pay for the studs, tear them out being a jackass. :disgust1:
wow, everyone in vermont really are douches huh?

yeah i buy studded tires to ONLY do burnouts......*ring* *ring*...hey its a sense of humor calling for you..oh wait, you missed that call and picked up the douche call instead.

have a nice day...douche

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
two snow tires = lose
four snow tires = better
studs = good investment
Studs are pretty useless with tire technology today unless you drive exclusively on sheets of ice.

Do the roads, your gas mileage, and your ears a favor and stay away from them...

Oh yeah, Blizzaks are king.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I think squire PSP meant to sprinkle the kitty litter on the ground around the tire in the event you get stuck.,...
oh...well..umm that works too..lol.

it can be used as a weight too, like quickcrete

and that particular comment was for Arkayne

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
4 new Blizzaks, 4 steel wheels = $900.
I get them mounted next week.
4 38" Super Swampers, 4 15" steel wheels = $600
The snow can't get here soon enough.

I am interested to see how my 2wd truck is going to do with Michelin ATs in the snow. It was okay with BF Goodrich ATs.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
They're a dual compound tire, so once you get through the soft outer rubber (30%) they're no different from any all weather radial.

I was told that they have remedied this on the new Blizzaks. I asked specifically after reading about that somewhere. But then - I'm an ignorant female buying tires.

I don't think I got fleeced on the price: the big three for tires were all within $150 of each other for "top" snow/ice: Blizzak, Michelin Ice or a Hankook. Wtf is a Hancook anyway, tirerack.com did not have a review.