Quantcast

Snow!

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Fun stuff... tried to go when it was about 3 degrees earlier in the week, but the frozen crust of snow made it, oh, not possible. Went today with the 49 degrees and slushy but still about 5" deep snow, and it was more possible, but still rather difficult and tourette's-inducing.

Traction and brakes are overrated.

:happydance:

bac

Monkey
Dec 14, 2006
Pennsylvania
Fun stuff... tried to go when it was about 3 degrees earlier in the week, but the frozen crust of snow made it, oh, not possible. Went today with the 49 degrees and slushy but still about 5" deep snow, and it was more possible, but still rather difficult and tourette's-inducing.
Great pix! I love to ride in the snow also. I set up my single speed with studded tires, and hydraulic disc brakes just for winter! Here are a few pix from past years. (no real snow in PA yet!):

STUDS ARE OUT!

COLD - YUP IT WAS COLD!

MY BUD FRANK!

... Brad

Samson

Chimp
Apr 27, 2006
Nice pics! I finally realized that lowering the tire pressures to about 15psi works wonders... amazing.
The brakes weren't too bad, just needed a few quick pulses to clear the snow/ice. I'm running Crossmax ceramic rims/pads, which helps a little bit. Not as nice as discs though...

Made a little video:
Click Here. :imstupid:

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Hey Samson, great fun huh? I've done quite a few days of snow riding this year myself. I run studs as well and have found them to work great. My commuter has V brakes also and while it's challenging at times, I make it work.

Keep up the fun!

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
Hey Samson, great fun huh? I've done quite a few days of snow riding this year myself. I run studs as well and have found them to work great. My commuter has V brakes also and while it's challenging at times, I make it work.

Keep up the fun!
You have v-brakes on your cross bike?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
You have v-brakes on your cross bike?
hehe - All of my bikes are commuters at some point during the year. In heavy winter I use the Titus Racer X - studded tires, & fenders. It still has v brakes on it, but commuting is the only thing I use it for now.