Quantcast

snowblowers - Troy Built vs Toro vs Ariens

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Any recommendations on these? I'm tired of shoveling my 350' driveway every damn morning because of all the drifting. I called around, and I can get snow throwers from these 3 companies that meet my needs (electric start, 2 stage, adequate for a 350' driveway and 8-12" of snow, $1000).

Toro Power Max 826LE
Tecumseh Snow King 4-cycle engine (8.5hp)
electric start
26" clearing width
6 forward speeds, 2 reverse
$1000
2 year warranty

Pros - light, easy to handle. very easy to aim chute
Cons - lots of plastic, no headlight

Ariens 8526LE
Tecumseh Snow King 4-cycle engine (8.5hp)
electric start
26" clearing width
6 forward speeds, 2 reverse
$1000
3 year warranty

Pros - all steel, should hold up well, headlight
Cons - heavy

Toro Storm 9528
Tecumseh Snow King 4-cycle engine (9.5hp)
electric start
28" clearing width
$1000
2 year warranty

Haven't seen it in person, but no headlight

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
SkaredShtles said:
I'd say get a Subaru! :thumb:

-S.S.-
F that! I've got a 4Runner that has no problem with the snow. Hell, I drove through my "yard" this morning... probably 2.5' of snow out there. My wife's car is the problem. :rolleyes:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Our Toro kicks ass (it is a snowblower and has a headlight). It's very easy to use, so I can just send MtnBikerChk outside to clean the driveway while I stay in bed and watch TV. :D Really, I have not used it yet...she'd cleared the driveway every time.

Of course, ours has been used about five times, so I can not really comment on its durability yet.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
My Mom has a toro that has been used like 10 times and it is a pain in the a to start.

I have a honda that is 10 years old and was bought at a garage sale and it starts like a champ.

Take that for what it's worth.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I Are Baboon said:
Our Toro kicks ass (it is a snowblower and has a headlight). It's very easy to use, so I can just send MtnBikerChk outside to clean the driveway while I stay in bed and watch TV. :D Really, I have not used it yet...she'd cleared the driveway every time.

Of course, ours has been used about five times, so I can not really comment on its durability yet.
Cool, thanks - you can ignore the PM.

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
jacksonpt said:
Cool, thanks - you can ignore the PM.
Too late!

We haven't had any problems starting it like Hawkeye's mom has. We just push a button and it starts right up (it better...the damn thing is three months old).

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
I'd definitely go w/steel over plastic!!!

mine (which has been sitting for 2 years :rolleyes: since I broke the drive train chain ) is steel and I'd say 20 years old, it always did a great job before the chain went !!

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
my dad has a 30 year old ariens with a 15 year old tecumseh motor. thing works perfectly, and it even starts on the first few pulls. its a heavy bugger, but it will last for decades.

Hawkeye

Monkey
Jan 8, 2002
Naperville, IL
Hawkeye said:
My Mom has a toro that has been used like 10 times and it is a pain in the a to start.

I have a honda that is 10 years old and was bought at a garage sale and it starts like a champ.

Take that for what it's worth.

It helps that I put a cold air intake, coffee can exhaust, and aluminum wing on it.

in the trees

Turbo Monkey
May 19, 2003
NH
I just got the Ariens 8526 this fall and I love it so far. We really haven't had any major storms in my area yet (in VT, believe it or not) , so I can't comment on how it works in deep snow. It is a little heavy but that also makes it solid. I usually use the electric start but it will start on the first or second pull when using the pull-start. I had looked seriously at getting the Toro too, but decided to go with the Ariens. The chute is very easy to adjust even when the blower's in motion. I liked the Ariens' solid lever and crank chute adjustment better than the Toro's plastic joystick. I also like the headlight feature for night use and for added safety when I'm out in the street. I'd recommend that you also find a good dealer that you can go back to for timely repairs further down the road if things need any work.

Mike B.

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2001
State College, PA
I personally will not buy a Tecumseh engine regardless of what it is mounted to - snowblower, lawn mower, etc. Only Honda (or if I have to Briggs) engines for me so I'd say check on a Honda if you've got a dealer nearby. Whatever you get, buy extra shear pins up front.

I just borrow my neighbors old Ariens or wait for my other neighbor to finish his driveway so he can use his truck plow.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Thanks for the info everyone. I ended up buying the Ariens (the 8526). The guy dropped it off, showed me how it works, and off I went. Took me about 30 minutes to do my driveway - much better than I was anticipating. The thing is a tank... pretty dang heavy, but solid as a rock. It's a bit more of a workout than I was expecting, but all in all, I'm glad I went with it (after 1 use). Run #2 is scheduled for 6am tomorrow morning... I can see this becoming a daily routine. :rolleyes: