Quantcast

Snowed in, Castle rock area of the Santa Cruz mts

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
wow is it usually that bad there?? I think of snata cruz as warm all the time.. but ive only been to the coast of it

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
drove in that weather, sure i would get into a wreck. Unfortunately, Marin people are not so adept at bad-weather driving:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Bwahhh it's funny to see people who don't know how to drive in snow.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
stosh said:
i agree... as long as they aren t coming towards me in my rear view mirror !!

you should see some of the texan champions that arrive here in germany and have their first day ever driving in snow... talk about madness...

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
stosh said:
when i was in colorado some djs on the radio were laughing their asses off that 2" of snow in virginia caused over 100 accidents.

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
Be thankful it doesn't snow around the bay area more often. I've seen how those drivers handle it on a regular basis and it's not pretty.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
chicodude said:
When some of these people have never seen snow before, do you expect them to be experts on it?
professionals ;)...

seriously, i think it s just laughing at someones misfortune... we all love it..

how can people who live there have never seen snow ??? trips me out... i mean its what - 2 or 3 hours drive to the mountains from out there yeah ??? (not SC)...

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
partsbara said:
professionals ;)...

seriously, i think it s just laughing at someones misfortune... we all love it..

how can people who live there have never seen snow ??? trips me out... i mean its what - 2 or 3 hours drive to the mountains from out there yeah ??? (not SC)...

Some people are terrified of driving in it, which would explain why they wouldn't go looking for it. :clue:

If it snow at school here, parent freak and take their kids out early. I think this town is about ****ty of a place to have to drive in the snow.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
partsbara said:
professionals ;)...

The worse is the first big snowfall in the Sierras. My fellow Bay Areans will drive out to look at it, sometimes before the CalTrans tire chain check begin, and they will stuck in the dozens.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
chicodude said:
Some people are terrified of driving in it, which would explain why they wouldn't go looking for it. :clue:
shame there aren t a few more scared people then... keep things less crowded...

some people are scared of anything... i vote they stay home and watch american idol... the outdoors is lame... TV is the future... plasma beotchhhhh

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sanjuro said:
drove in that weather, sure i would get into a wreck. Unfortunately, Marin people are not so adept at bad-weather driving:

I drive in marin every day & they are by far the worst drivers I've seen anywhere in the country... actually, I'll break that out to the entire bay area... no control over their vehicles + a preocupation with mobile devices while driving.

One of the reasons i bought a volvo :dead:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
btw, that photo looks like it's taken just north of the ggbridge on 101... talk about WTF.

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
maxyedor said:
Forget snow most people here in Cali. can't handle rain. The other thing that make me chuckle is seing people out in a little drizzle with their wipers on super turbo mode.:rofl:
Dude, SoCal drivers freak out if the freeway lanes merge. They still don't understand how to drive in "foul" weather.

Looking at the snow this past week from santa clara has been awesome. I need to take my road bike up there.....:ouch:

The Ito

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
snow driving is a good skill to have. I live in the pnw but am visiting AZ this week. While I was in Flagstaff this weekend, they got TWO FEET in 24 hours. Heh, and I'm in a borrowed subaru, no problem there.

gg

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
maxyedor said:
Forget snow most people here in Cali. can't handle rain. The other thing that make me chuckle is seing people out in a little drizzle with their wipers on super turbo mode.:rofl:

In socal maybe. At my house its not uncommon to get 8 inches of rain in a day.

DHanamal

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Boulder, CO
gnurider1080 said:
when i was in colorado some djs on the radio were laughing their asses off that 2" of snow in virginia caused over 100 accidents.
Umm, who said CO knows how to deal with snow? It took me 4 hours to drive from Vail to Boulder (115 miles) because of the obscenely slow traffic in a small snow storm. I don't get it.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
chicodude said:
In socal maybe. At my house its not uncommon to get 8 inches of rain in a day.
In the bay too... I have this problem every time it rains... on my commute home from marin :dead: hate marin.

chicodude

The Spooninator
Mar 28, 2004
Paradise
justsomeguy said:
Holy exaggeration Batman!

Its really not. from an average strom 3-4 inches is pretty much the norm. Since we live at the edge of the canyon the water doesn't flood or anything. We get a few gnarly totals of rain a few times a year.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dump said:
I drive in marin every day & they are by far the worst drivers I've seen anywhere in the country... actually, I'll break that out to the entire bay area... no control over their vehicles + a preocupation with mobile devices while driving.

One of the reasons i bought a volvo :dead:
Funny, I think Volvo drivers are some of the worse.

Mostly, I think it is important that driving somewhat aggressively is key to safe driving: like maintaining a decent speed in your lane, even if it is 10 miles over the speed limit. Then cars who are maintaining a certain speed will not have to brake when a Volvo driver is doing a "safe" 60 mph, particularily in the left lane.

I am sure this will create a storm about safe driving, but what happened was the first time I drove to Skeggs, I was on I-280 when I saw a sign saying my exit was a 1 1/2 away. To be safe I merged over to the right lane right then.

Anyway, I come over a rise, and there is a Volvo wagon braking, trying to maintain a 50-55mph speed. I was doing 65-70 (and I believe 65mph is the limit on 280), a very natural speed given that I was headed downhill. The Volvo had no cars in front of it for at least a quarter mile nor did it get off at the next exit, so it is had no reason to brake.

I had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending the Volvo, forcing the pickup behind me to swerve into the next lane over to avoid rear ending me. The truck then swerved out-of-control back into my lane, which I then swerved into the shoulder to avoid getting sideswiped.

I remember how mad the truck driver was at me until he realized it was the Volvo who cause this whole mess. The truck driver started tailgating the Volvo in retribution, and I got in front of the Volvo to block it.

It was the only time I had a partner in my road rage.

partsbara

Turbo Monkey
Nov 16, 2001
getting Xtreme !
sanjuro said:
Funny, I think Volvo drivers are some of the worse.
you haven t met me :)... i m the guy flashing my high beams at you as you crawl in the overtaking lane - get over !!... usually you won t see me cause i m pegged at 200 kmph (about 130mph)...

i will miss driving in germany :(

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
maxyedor said:
Sh*t most drivers here can't handle dry/clear conditions.:mumble: :nope: :wonky2: :eek: :looney:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
gnurider1080 said:
Colorado has some of the worst drivers, so I wouldn't pay to much attention to what DJ's there have to say. Jackoffs there have a problem driving in the rain.

J

JRB

stosh said:
Yeah - it's a real rip in the ass to see the stupid asses from up north move down here and crash in the rain. I also love how inconsiderate they are. It has been a steady influx of imports ruining our roads. Please take all of your "cold weather" drivers back. Thank you.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
<snip>

I am sure this will create a storm about safe driving, but what happened was the first time I drove to Skeggs, I was on I-280 when I saw a sign saying my exit was a 1 1/2 away. To be safe I merged over to the right lane right then.
The right lane is the "slow lane" - I never get too torqued over people driving slowly in the slow lane. Just keep them the f**k out of the fast lanes.

You should pay more attention to closing speeds to avoid emergency maneuvers like that. :p

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
loco said:
Yeah - it's a real rip in the ass to see the stupid asses from up north move down here and crash in the rain. I also love how inconsiderate they are. It has been a steady influx of imports ruining our roads. Please take all of your "cold weather" drivers back. Thank you.
If you're in CO, and you see one of those NATIVE Colorado stickers on their car, 99% of the time they can't drive worth a sh!t.