Quantcast

Snowed in, Castle rock area of the Santa Cruz mts

J

JRB

stevew said:
If you're in CO, and you see one of those NATIVE Colorado stickers on their car, 99% of the time they can't drive worth a sh!t.
When I see them in TX, that number goes up to 100%. :D

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
SkaredShtles said:
The Blizzard of '02 was an official "snow-in" here. I had 48" of settled snow in my back yard in two days. That storm kicked ass! :thumb:
I was stuck at work for three days. The second day I spent digging a path about a hudred yards long through three feet of snow to get five dogs out of a barn in which the roof had collapsed.

Listening to my boss think of new and creative ways to break her husbands balls/verbally abuse was kind of depressing.

J

JRB

stevew said:
I was stuck at work for three days. The second day I spent digging a path about a hudred yards long through three feet of snow to get five dogs out of a barn in which the roof had collapsed.

Listening to my boss think of new and creative ways to break her husbands balls/verbally abuse was kind of depressing.
Good for helping the dogs. Is your boss hot???

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
loco said:
Good for helping the dogs. Is your boss hot???
Was my boss.

Haggard twat seems like a better description. However politically incorrect that description might be.....

J

JRB

stevew said:
Was my boss.

Haggard twat seems like a better description. However politically incorrect that description might be.....
Ahhh - no pics please. I love the description, but would use c*nt, if it were me describing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
The right lane is the "slow lane" - I never get too torqued over people driving slowly in the slow lane. Just keep them the f**k out of the fast lanes.

You should pay more attention to closing speeds to avoid emergency maneuvers like that. :p
I thought about that afterwards. I think the thing that made me almost crash was that it was really unecessary for the Volvo to brake in that instance.

Going downhill on a straight section of highway, if the driver had not applied the brakes, he would have been doing about 60-65, which would have been only a little slower than what I was doing. I should also point out I was in my sister's Ford Focus wagon, so I know I was not zipping around like I would in my own Accord Sedan.

But unfortunately, I caught up with that car just after a hill, so I could not see it until I was almost on top of it.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
SkaredShtles said:
The Blizzard of '02 was an official "snow-in" here. I had 48" of settled snow in my back yard in two days. That storm kicked ass! :thumb:

Too bad it was all east of Vail Pass. We got 8" total from that storm!:mumble:

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
tomacdaddy said:
Too bad it was all east of Vail Pass. We got 8" total from that storm!:mumble:
Yeah. If you can believe it, I was scheduled to do a Berthoud Pass snowcat trip the second day of that storm. We got turned back in Idaho Springs. :mumble:

One of my buddies left a couple hours before us and made it to Winter Park - and they got almost 100" from the storm. Then he had the gall to send us pics of the skiing at Mary Jane. He was "stuck" there for 3 days.

Bahstid. :mad:

J

JRB

sanjuro said:
I thought about that afterwards. I think the thing that made me almost crash was that it was really unecessary for the Volvo to brake in that instance.

Going downhill on a straight section of highway, if the driver had not applied the brakes, he would have been doing about 60-65, which would have been only a little slower than what I was doing. I should also point out I was in my sister's Ford Focus wagon, so I know I was not zipping around like I would in my own Accord Sedan.

But unfortunately, I caught up with that car just after a hill, so I could not see it until I was almost on top of it.

Maybe they were having brake troubles. I always slow down, even on straight hills, because speed can kill.

tomacdaddy

Monkey
Feb 2, 2005
Minturn, CO
SkaredShtles said:
One of my buddies left a couple hours before us and made it to Winter Park - and they got almost 100" from the storm. Then he had the gall to send us pics of the skiing at Mary Jane. He was "stuck" there for 3 days.
Bahstid. :mad:
All those guys got pounded. Mary Jane would have been fun - I like that hill.

I was pissed b/c the beer trucks couldn't come - all the Guiness was sold out!

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
narlus said:
that's the one who has dogs in the Westminster show?
Yes.

Remembering her cursing fits with her lawyer on the phone sometimes gives me the willies.....

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
Still would've been your fault when you packed 'em. :D
But since it was a Volvo, I would have died on impact and they would only have scratched their bumper.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
sanjuro said:
But since it was a Volvo, I would have died on impact and they would only have scratched their bumper.
I thought that's what happened when you hit a Suburban? :think:

Remember that Volvo commercial where they drove it off a parking structure to illustrate how safe they were?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
loco said:
Yeah - it's a real rip in the ass to see the stupid asses from up north move down here and crash in the rain. I also love how inconsiderate they are. It has been a steady influx of imports ruining our roads. Please take all of your "cold weather" drivers back. Thank you.

Funny. The one time I was in Austin, it was raining, light drizzle actually, and people were going to the supermarket for bread and milk like was some kind of emergency. There were wrecks everywhere. I thought it was the Texans that couldn't drive?

J

JRB

jdschall said:
Funny. The one time I was in Austin, it was raining, light drizzle actually, and people were going to the supermarket for bread and milk like was some kind of emergency. There were wrecks everywhere. I thought it was the Texans that couldn't drive?
They were all from out of state. No one is from Austin. There are really only like 50,000 Austinites. Most likely from NY.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
loco said:
They were all from out of state. No one is from Austin. There are really only like 50,000 Austinites. Most likely from NY.

Just proves that only the stupid move to Texas.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
SkaredShtles said:
I thought that's what happened when you hit a Suburban? :think:

Remember that Volvo commercial where they drove it off a parking structure to illustrate how safe they were?
I only seem to have problems with Suburbans when I am on a bike. Then I immediately visit the ICU where they have to immediately go to the car wash to wash off my blood.

J

JRB

SkaredShtles said:
:stupid:

When I went to Austin it seemed to be filled with f***ing hippies. Like jdschall. :mad:
Man - how big a hippie is he, for you to think he is a hippie??? Man - he must be such a hippie it is contagious. :help:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sanjuro said:
Funny, I think Volvo drivers are some of the worse.

Mostly, I think it is important that driving somewhat aggressively is key to safe driving: like maintaining a decent speed in your lane, even if it is 10 miles over the speed limit. Then cars who are maintaining a certain speed will not have to brake when a Volvo driver is doing a "safe" 60 mph, particularily in the left lane.

I am sure this will create a storm about safe driving, but what happened was the first time I drove to Skeggs, I was on I-280 when I saw a sign saying my exit was a 1 1/2 away. To be safe I merged over to the right lane right then.

Anyway, I come over a rise, and there is a Volvo wagon braking, trying to maintain a 50-55mph speed. I was doing 65-70 (and I believe 65mph is the limit on 280), a very natural speed given that I was headed downhill. The Volvo had no cars in front of it for at least a quarter mile nor did it get off at the next exit, so it is had no reason to brake.

I had to slam on the brakes to avoid rear-ending the Volvo, forcing the pickup behind me to swerve into the next lane over to avoid rear ending me. The truck then swerved out-of-control back into my lane, which I then swerved into the shoulder to avoid getting sideswiped.

I remember how mad the truck driver was at me until he realized it was the Volvo who cause this whole mess. The truck driver started tailgating the Volvo in retribution, and I got in front of the Volvo to block it.

It was the only time I had a partner in my road rage.
I can't say I've experienced what you've seen from "volvo drivers." I wasn't aware they're a particular breed :rolleyes: My choice of vehicle came down to cost + safety.

Thinking back now, my "bad driving" experiences have been so varied, that I certainly can't lump them in any kind of group... everything from high end mercedes/bmws, to minivans/suvs to old beater vehicles.

I can't agree that you need to drive somewhat aggresively... nor do I see how driving 10 miles above the speed limit is aggressive.

I'd suggest that you need to always stay alert & attentive at the wheel, ready to react & drive with the traffic.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
dump said:
I can't say I've experienced what you've seen from "volvo drivers." I wasn't aware they're a particular breed :rolleyes: My choice of vehicle came down to cost + safety.

Thinking back now, my "bad driving" experiences have been so varied, that I certainly can't lump them in any kind of group... everything from high end mercedes/bmws, to minivans/suvs to old beater vehicles.

I can't agree that you need to drive somewhat aggresively... nor do I see how driving 10 miles above the speed limit is aggressive.
So stereotyping is wrong? I better delete my posts on stormfront.org then.

Obviously every Volvo driver is not a 55mph granny. But I have noticed rather timid driving from Volvos. One reason is the average owner's age, typically 35+ (http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4473). I am sure most 18-25 year old males are not cruising the strip in a $40,000 station wagon.

As for moderate aggressive driving, for example, I am driving 7-9 miles over the speed limit in the second or third lane of a 4 lane highway, and there is a car about 100 yards in front of me doing the speed limit.

Should I brake and match the speed of the car in front of me, or attempt to pass on the left?

The safe answer is to brake, and hope that the car behind me was also attentive. Or I could pass on the left, a more aggressive move, so I can maintain my speed without bothering any other vehicles. I will probably accelerate another 2 or 3 mph so I can pass quickly and then merge back in.

dump said:
I'd suggest that you need to always stay alert & attentive at the wheel, ready to react & drive with the traffic.
When I am swerving in and out of traffic, I always stop text messaging.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sanjuro said:
So stereotyping is wrong? I better delete my posts on stormfront.org then.
I wasn't even going there, merely stating that I haven't experienced it & wasn't aware there was a stereotype.

sanjuro said:
Obviously every Volvo driver is not a 55mph granny. But I have noticed rather timid driving from Volvos. One reason is the average owner's age, typically 35+ (http://www.v70xc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4473). I am sure most 18-25 year old males are not cruising the strip in a $40,000 station wagon.
Fair enough. For reference, mine cost 6k, it's not a wagon, & i'm neither 18-25 or 35+ :blah:

sanjuro said:
As for moderate aggressive driving, for example, I am driving 7-9 miles over the speed limit in the second or third lane of a 4 lane highway, and there is a car about 100 yards in front of me doing the speed limit.

Should I brake and match the speed of the car in front of me, or attempt to pass on the left?

The safe answer is to brake, and hope that the car behind me was also attentive. Or I could pass on the left, a more aggressive move, so I can maintain my speed without bothering any other vehicles. I will probably accelerate another 2 or 3 mph so I can pass quickly and then merge back in.
I can see that.

sanjuro said:
When I am swerving in and out of traffic, I always stop text messaging.
Wasn't referring to you particularly... rather a you (y'all) in general.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The cars I noticed for the worse driving are beaters, bmws, mustangs (no #1 road rage car) , and Altimas back in the East Coast.

Obviously bad drivers can pop up anywhere, except for Asian drivers who are typical the best.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
sanjuro said:
The cars I noticed for the worse driving are beaters, bmws, mustangs (no #1 road rage car) , and Altimas back in the East Coast.

Obviously bad drivers can pop up anywhere, except for Asian drivers who are typical the best.
ahahaha - awesome.

Want to see some awesome driving? Try Asia Pacific Mall on a Saturday!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I see an awesome driver every time I look at my rearview mirror to fix my hair or touch up my makeup...

J

JRB

sanjuro said:

I hear they are great with engrish too. ;)

*please note this is purely meant to poke fun at sanjuro, while using a poor sterotype. :D

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
loco said:
I hear they are great with engrish too. ;)
*please note this is purely meant to poke fun at sanjuro, while using a poor sterotype. :D
racist bastard...