Quantcast

Snowshoe 2021

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Never bet against a Sicilian when death is on the line
Isn't that from 'The Princess Bride'? Nice one, either way! :)

Very entertaining racing for both men and women! I can always gauge by how many times I make a sound when someone crashes in their race run and the wife can hear me and she's like "Are you okay?!" :D

Loic and WV. Peanut butter and Jelly?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Unpopular opinion: while I personally like watching the riding on the course at Snowshoe, I feel it produces too many injuries and random mechanicals. I know, "this is racing" but still, it would be nice to not have an overall decided by luck but actually your ability to ride a bike fast over a multitude of tracks. Having 1/3 of the season on a track that throws in a large element of randomness is bad, even worse if it is the season finale. I would not feel the same way if it would be one race out of 10 or 12, so more races or double headers at all courses?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Unpopular opinion: while I personally like watching the riding on the course at Snowshoe, I feel it produces too many injuries and random mechanicals. I know, "this is racing" but still, it would be nice to not have an overall decided by luck but actually your ability to ride a bike fast over a multitude of tracks. Having 1/3 of the season on a track that throws in a large element of randomness is bad, even worse if it is the season finale. I would not feel the same way if it would be one race out of 10 or 12, so more races or double headers at all courses?

Yo do realize why it was a double header eh?

dovbush66

Monkey
Aug 27, 2018
Ireland
imo injuries will happen cos this sport is fucken gnarly and random mechanicals (especially the chain issues, wtf) means the engineers at bike cos still have a lot of work to do.
i get what you mean though. maybe the more random and unexpected nature of the track suits what redbull want to broadcast as a finale.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yo do realize why it was a double header eh?
Because more FREEDOM was needed? ;)
It was not a criticism of this year's events, more like something I wish will be considered when we get back to a normal year.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
imo injuries will happen cos this sport is fucken gnarly and random mechanicals (especially the chain issues, wtf) means the engineers at bike cos still have a lot of work to do.
i get what you mean though. maybe the more random and unexpected nature of the track suits what redbull want to broadcast as a finale.
For me it boils down to both, rider safety and entertainment value. I hate it when I see people getting injured! I hate it when I see a race or series being won by the "last man/woman standing".
IMO it still can be spectacular without people hitting trees all the time. There rightfully was a lot of critcism regarding rider safety at the Les Gets event, but here I haven't heard so much. Let us hope Jesscia Blewitt is fine! The sport is gnarly, but maybe, like in F1, adjustments need to be made to increase safety. Taking speed out by the right course design, thinking of weather changes and maybe have "wet course" chicken lines ready, making protection gear mandatory, or having more events with not all counting towards the overall.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I actually think the big European DH geometry bikes didn't look at place there. Its like they only excel at steep tech and when the course flattens the approach angle significantly they don't balance well or something. Clearly I'm no expert at WC level DH racing but it did seem that the bikes were maybe too slack for that stuff?

*edit* clearly the whole course wasn't flat, but weird seeing the handling issues on the flatter bits

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Anyone seen an update on how Jess is doing? That crash looked awful. Really hope she's okay.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
From the PB comments:
THEBIKEFIX (11 hours ago)
Update on Jess Blewitt after her horrible crash. Jess has a broken femur requiring surgery. She also has a broken collarbone, wrist , cracked rib & two small cracks in her lower back fortunately none of which require surgery. Healing vibes to Jess from all of us in the riding community.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
From the PB comments:
Update on Jess Blewitt after her horrible crash. Jess has a broken femur requiring surgery. She also has a broken collarbone, wrist , cracked rib & two small cracks in her lower back fortunately none of which require surgery. Healing vibes to Jess from all of us in the riding community.
Jesus. That's brutal.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Fuck me, that's awful. I watched the ladies replay but skipped the early riders and missed her crash - going to keep it that way. That track definitely claimed some names, but none of them banged up like Jess. And praise be to @FSM that somehow Brook didn't hit the deck.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I actually think the big European DH geometry bikes didn't look at place there. Its like they only excel at steep tech and when the course flattens the approach angle significantly they don't balance well or something. Clearly I'm no expert at WC level DH racing but it did seem that the bikes were maybe too slack for that stuff?

*edit* clearly the whole course wasn't flat, but weird seeing the handling issues on the flatter bits
Just watched Cathro's race run POV and apart from the access road flat pedal after the rocks to the last wooded section the whole track looked quite high speed to me and aren't most WC DH bikes settled around a 62-63ish HA these days? and isn't that handsome European guy with the thick eyebrows who came down last still riding 61.5 upfront?
ie. Slack and long being more stable at speed n that, I've no idea why you'd think a shorter less slack bike would help.

Or which bikes are you talking about?

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Just watched Cathro's race run POV and apart from the access road flat pedal after the rocks to the last wooded section the whole track looked quite high speed to me and aren't most WC DH bikes settled around a 62-63ish HA these days? and isn't that handsome European guy with the thick eyebrows who came down last still riding 61.5 upfront?
ie. Slack and long being more stable at speed n that, I've no idea why you'd think a shorter less slack bike would help.

Or which bikes are you talking about?
Yeah I'm probably tripping. I'd just finished watching the replay and thinking there was an inordinate amount of front wheel traction issues (notably Commencal), but also the Mondrakers looked a bit awkward as well. There was plenty of steep techy bits, just weird seeing quite a few issues on flatter sections. Its probably actually more a riding style and position thing rather than the bikes.

Wild race though, crowd looked into it. Bulldog hyping them up after his spill was awesome to see, as was Sick Mik signing off with class.

toodles

Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Also I dunno what chains the Trek team are using but both Reece and Kade snapping chains isn't a great look

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Seems like Bruno has
From the PB comments:
Damn.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is pretty awesome. I wonder what his heartrate was doing at 2:46 when coming pretty much as close you can get to getting sent out the front door? Guy is flying and obviously would have moved up a few spots in the ranking, if that fumble and the drift at the end of the track didn't happen.

I'm all for tracks like these. I don't see any problems with it? The rock gardens are what they are. The track is better than it being a single line funnel from the top to bottom.