Quantcast

Snowshoe 2021

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
Bruni is the man
Reece Wilson was no fluke last year
Poor Troy
Lets hope Rachael comes back so Myriam has some competition next year.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah I'm probably tripping. I'd just finished watching the replay and thinking there was an inordinate amount of front wheel traction issues (notably Commencal), but also the Mondrakers looked a bit awkward as well. There was plenty of steep techy bits, just weird seeing quite a few issues on flatter sections. Its probably actually more a riding style and position thing rather than the bikes.

Wild race though, crowd looked into it. Bulldog hyping them up after his spill was awesome to see, as was Sick Mik signing off with class.
Having ridden and raced there a lot, I can tell you when it is dry at Snowshoe, the underneath dirt is hard and there is a thin layer of loose shit that will put you on your can for sure. In general, Snowshoe is a big fast mountain. High speed most of the way down. The way they have it for the World Cup, they link together all the difficult rock gardens, and some of those tricky bits is where it is flat. If I had to guess on injuries and mechanicals, it would be because the racers know they need lots of speed to carry momentum through those sections, so they are entering them at mach looney speeds and writing checks they can't cash. Makes for awesome racing but sketch for sure.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
Those saves by Cathro were pretty impressive. Looked like he had a great pace aside from those.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
the Jess crash was gross, I gasped and turned away...but to be fair, she was riding super fast and it seemed over her limit before that even though she seemed to be just holding it together. she got a bit right coming into that jump section, slightly bucked on the high root line beside the tree just before and pushed outside to the right, then her weight was all wrong and she got sent out the catapult off the jump. Don't think you can really blame the course for that outcome.

Wild event though, all the dramas!

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Yeah, Jess's crash was super scary, pretty much worst case, she got bucked into the face of the third jump. You know it's bad when they don't show the replay and course hold goes on so long. Sucks to hear she is so broken but honestly, glad it wasn't worse.

Crazy end for the women. Bummer for Myriam to lose the overall in the last friggin' turn. Vali needs to learn how to be a more pro/gracious winner.

As for the men, gotta give it to Bruni. Even if true, telling everyone he loves and wants the pressure was a great jedi mind trick to mess with his competitors. Seemed to work on Vergier!

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Wow, Bernard Kerr's vid! So cool, it was like I was there.

So many fans! Filled me with a bit of pride!

So what is the best place to stay (I'm thinking one of those condo complexes by the lift)??

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord

So what is the best place to stay (I'm thinking one of those condo complexes by the lift)??
when we have a big crew we tend to rent a house on north westridge road (which crosses the course near the top); this summer we stayed in the "powder monkey" condos, which are right there at the lift and also super close to the village. In the village I like either Highland House or Allegheny Springs.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Unpopular opinion: while I personally like watching the riding on the course at Snowshoe, I feel it produces too many injuries and random mechanicals. I know, "this is racing" but still, it would be nice to not have an overall decided by luck but actually your ability to ride a bike fast over a multitude of tracks. Having 1/3 of the season on a track that throws in a large element of randomness is bad, even worse if it is the season finale. I would not feel the same way if it would be one race out of 10 or 12, so more races or double headers at all courses?

The double header comprising 1/3 of the season would have been almost fine if they were a week apart. I have to believe that Pompon's crash was due to fatigue as much as anything, she's won World Champs enough that I'd say she's not the type to crack under pressure. Minaar missing 2 races like that is also unlike him, but what do you expect with an AC separation on Wednesday and a Race on Sunday? Double headers are rad, but should be at least a week apart. Covid can also fuck off so we can have full length seasons.

Not sure I totally agree on Snowshoe producing too many injuries though. Yeah people got fucked up, but in recent history MSA, Les Gets, and a couple other tracks have also been pretty brutal, handing people "career enders" multiple times in a weekend. No doubt the tight racing over the whole abbreviated season contributed to people sending it a bit too hard going into the finals, but this whole season seemed extra brutal injury-wise, and not just from World Cups, top guys were getting destroyed at nationals and local races too.

Drama filled final rounds where championships are won or lost based on tiny mistakes are fun as hell to watch, that's for sure!

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
while i don't disagree, there may have been more to this aspect of it than them just saying "hey lets have 2 DH races 3 days apart"
Oh, for sure, there was definitely a lot of fuckery and no-win decisions going on behind the scenes just to make this season happen. Ft William getting cancelled didn't help either. Throw one more race in and Showshoe 2 may not have even mattered to the overall.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008

Where is Seth shitting on US races because of the lack of spectators? :disgust1:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
She's 19, in her first Elite season... I think we can give her some chances to grow and evolve from it.

She is pretty much just a kid, but she has a ton of experience in the hot seat and on the podium. Emotional maturity isn't always age related. That being said, there are probably a lot of pros who act gracious, but it is totally fake. A lot of people who are extremely successful in their fields kind of have to head cases to get where they are.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Yeah people got fucked up, but in recent history MSA, Les Gets, and a couple other tracks have also been pretty brutal, handing people "career enders" multiple times in a weekend.
Sure, but there rightfully was a big discussion after Les Gets if this was a safe enough track.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, Jess's crash was super scary, pretty much worst case, she got bucked into the face of the third jump. You know it's bad when they don't show the replay and course hold goes on so long. Sucks to hear she is so broken but honestly, glad it wasn't worse.

Crazy end for the women. Bummer for Myriam to lose the overall in the last friggin' turn. Vali needs to learn how to be a more pro/gracious winner.

As for the men, gotta give it to Bruni. Even if true, telling everyone he loves and wants the pressure was a great jedi mind trick to mess with his competitors. Seemed to work on Vergier!

Seemed to me that root knocked her off the line, she lost the rear in the berm and was probably tensed up and in the wrong position when she hit the jump.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Vali needs to learn how to be a more pro/gracious winner.
What exactly did she do that wasn't pro/gracious?

And does no one remember the old world cups where certain rivals genuinely disliked each other and made absolutely no secret of it?

These days pretty much every one of the current girls in finals after crossing the line receives hugs and congratulations from all the other girls in the finish area.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

And does no one remember the old world cups where certain rivals genuinely disliked each other and made absolutely no secret of it?

These days pretty much every one of the current girls in finals after crossing the line receives hugs and congratulations from all the other girls in the finish area.

I think Minaar once said "don't celebrate until the run is done"

Anyway she just looked like she didn't know how to react. I am sure her Austrian upbringing was focused on being one with and expressing emotions.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't feel that strongly about it, but she's at the start of what could be a long and successful career and that takes more than winning races. Among other things, she didn't even try to show any compassion for Myriam both times she crashed in the finals. She's entitled to be stoked on winning, of course, but take a cue from the other elites - the reaction to her winning was pretty icy and it seems she's not making a ton of friends. Contrast that with what happens when people like Rachel or Bruni take a win - maybe the others are faking it but most seem genuinely stoked, even if they'd rather win themselves. It's a small world at that level, teams change, etc., and she should try to not burn bridges.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I don't feel that strongly about it, but she's at the start of what could be a long and successful career and that takes more than winning races. Among other things, she didn't even try to show any compassion for Myriam both times she crashed in the finals. She's entitled to be stoked on winning, of course, but take a cue from the other elites - the reaction to her winning was pretty icy and it seems she's not making a ton of friends. Contrast that with what happens when people like Rachel or Bruni take a win - maybe the others are faking it but most seem genuinely stoked, even if they'd rather win themselves. It's a small world at that level, teams change, etc., and she should try to not burn bridges.
You are totally right, but I think it is difficult to judge based only with what we've seen on screen.

I am not 100% sure she did not have compassion for Myriam's bad luck. I think this race was the culmination of a roller-coaster of emotion this season for Höll and I was actually wondering if her seemingly weird behavior on screen could have been related simply to her not knowing how to react in such an unexpected situation. She had some good words for Myriam in the post-race interview.

For next year, it would probably be a good idea to have someone from the team giving her some pointers on how to win in a more classy manner. Meanwhile, she's a 19y.o. who just won the Elite overall in her first season. Quite an impressive achievement.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
she didn't even try to show any compassion for Myriam both times she crashed in the finals.
I'm not sure what you're even talking about. Vali was the first person to go to Myriam when she crossed the line on Wednesday. Hugging and consoling her.

Myriam's body language and Vali's overwhelming confusion and shock made it pretty hard for the same to happen on Saturday.

How do you think you'd handle the same situation if you were a teenage girl?

the reaction to her winning was pretty icy and it seems she's not making a ton of friends.
Where do you get this from?

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Not sure if you watched her vlog, sounds like a normal teenage girl to me. Practice for race #2 with a hangover should get her some street cred with the :monkey:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Guys, I'm not on some anti-Vali crusade, and nobody here should feel the need to defend her. She's got tons of talent and I hope we get to watch her win races for years.

I agree her reaction was arguably normal for a 19-year old kid. Unfortunately, she's just not an ordinary kid anymore, she has stepped up to the highest level of our sport, and she should expect some scrutiny. That includes scrutiny from clowns like me.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
...I agree her reaction was arguably normal for a 19-year old kid. Unfortunately, she's just not an ordinary kid anymore, she has stepped up to the highest level of our sport, and she should expect some scrutiny. That includes scrutiny from clowns like me.
she's an ordinary kid who pretty suddenly found herself in an extraordinary situation - you're really going to fault her for that?

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Vali seems like a kid with the weight of the world on her shoulders. As someone said elsewhere, the ladies aren't all going to be sharing heart emojis with each other. It's a competition, after all.

Didn't Reece Wilson once say he doesn't run a chain guide as he's never lost a chain?

As for XC, that was a great men's race, but I'm really enjoying the competition in the women's series this season. I would like to see Schurter get the all-time wins record next year, though.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Watching the highlights again.

Fuck Reece was sending it hard. That first left hander berm looked terrifying.

I laughed at Troy's comment to Loic while congratulating him - "you motherf*cker you got me! Point 4!"