Quantcast

Snowshoe 2021

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
out of curiosity(after watching track walk vids) checked ICU bed availability at the closest L1 and L2 trauma centers to snowshoe.
Be safe everyone
No doubt man! When I was racing slalom Saturday, I was VERY aware that our local hospital was full and they were seriously putting people in tents outside. 300 Covid hospital patients batting at 92% unvaccinated.
Keep that rubber side up for sure!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah my best bud's kid lacerated his spleen at snowshoe last weekend. Took them forever to get the diagnoses at a regional center then get transported to Morgantown. His son is good, it was a non op situation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Minnaar was DNF. didn't get to the first split. he's a protected rider, don't they just have to start qualifying in order to advance to finals?

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Hoping that Daprella, Remi and GM had mechanicals (for which I am obviously gutted) and didn't ball it up, especially on one of those Bezos space ramps. Helluva good result for Sik Mik (16th), who is about to start receiving AARP membership spam.

Seems that PomPom has gone full-Rachel and just obliterating the younglings...so much so, the PB results had a mistake and it looked like she has the same time as the 5th place qualifier in Jr mens (turns out he is actually 10 seconds faster). Barring weird weather or a mechanical, seems like there won't be much drama in term of the ladies race winner, which wasn't the case 2 years ago and Marine won and Tracey finished 5th to take the overall (but she had to finish 6th or better and she was clearly feeling tight).

So now for my typical non-sequitur - anybody have a sense as to why SS would bother hosting a series of UCI WC events? I've always read that the big, popular resorts in Freedom Land, Canadia and Yurp don't bother with UCI events because the fees are too expensive and that they're already a well known quantity so they don't need to advertise their wares. Given that SS is centrally located to big metro areas like Columbus, Pittsburgh, DC, etc...it seems like they wouldn't really need to attract additional attention (especially at the cost of the aforementioned UCI blood money). Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they stepped up, but when people complain that other North American venues would be better, I'm surprised the math doesn't work for ZOMG-best-track-eva resort but it does for SS. Although on a morbid note, I guess one benefit for using an east coast locale is it probably won't be on fire, unlike many parts of the west these days :(

Fool

The Thing cannot be described
Sep 10, 2001
Brooklyn
Minnaar with a crash, hurt his shoulder according to SCS instagram. Being cagey about how bad. Hope he'll be good to race.

edit: Grade 2 or 3 AC joint

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Hoping that Daprella, Remi and GM had mechanicals (for which I am obviously gutted) and didn't ball it up, especially on one of those Bezos space ramps. Helluva good result for Sik Mik (16th), who is about to start receiving AARP membership spam.

Seems that PomPom has gone full-Rachel and just obliterating the younglings...so much so, the PB results had a mistake and it looked like she has the same time as the 5th place qualifier in Jr mens (turns out he is actually 10 seconds faster). Barring weird weather or a mechanical, seems like there won't be much drama in term of the ladies race winner, which wasn't the case 2 years ago and Marine won and Tracey finished 5th to take the overall (but she had to finish 6th or better and she was clearly feeling tight).

So now for my typical non-sequitur - anybody have a sense as to why SS would bother hosting a series of UCI WC events? I've always read that the big, popular resorts in Freedom Land, Canadia and Yurp don't bother with UCI events because the fees are too expensive and that they're already a well known quantity so they don't need to advertise their wares. Given that SS is centrally located to big metro areas like Columbus, Pittsburgh, DC, etc...it seems like they wouldn't really need to attract additional attention (especially at the cost of the aforementioned UCI blood money). Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they stepped up, but when people complain that other North American venues would be better, I'm surprised the math doesn't work for ZOMG-best-track-eva resort but it does for SS. Although on a morbid note, I guess one benefit for using an east coast locale is it probably won't be on fire, unlike many parts of the west these days :(
Minnaar didn't even make it to the first split, so i'm assuming he just pulled off out of the gate. as previously stated, Minnaar is a protected rider. he just has to start qualifying in order to advance to finals. with 2 races in 3 days he probably didn't feel it was worth the risk since he's not really in the running for the overall.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Given that SS is centrally located to big metro areas like Columbus, Pittsburgh, DC, etc...it seems like they wouldn't really need to attract additional attention (especially at the cost of the aforementioned UCI blood money)
Snowshoe is "close" to Pittsburgh, like Los Angeles is close to San Francisco... or like Northern Vermont is close to NYC - in short, a 5+hr drive.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Snowshoe is "close" to Pittsburgh, like Los Angeles is close to San Francisco... or like Northern Vermont is close to NYC - in short, a 5+hr drive.
Right, but most big population centers aren't super close to legit ski resorts. People from my neck of woods drive to SS on the regulars and its 5+ hours away, so again, I guess I'm a bit surprised they would host a WC - but maybe they want even moar exposure and hope this will get it for them (or for their bike park at least).

Super shit news about GM. Somehow I feel like @bullcrew 's shoulder thread brought this on. :tinfoil: Maybe he's as tough/masochistic as bullcrew and will go racin' with a bum shoulder (hopefully he at least has access to real drugs). Personally I hope he just chills and party's with us Monkeys :headbang:

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
i posted that as info that pertained from the race. honestly a bit bummed to not seem him racing, i don't like seeing any rider out as a result of injury. as someone with chronic back pain i can relate to what he's dealing with.
i posted that as info that pertained from the race. honestly a bit bummed to not seem him racing, i don't like seeing any rider out as a result of injury. as someone with chronic back pain i can relate to what he's dealing with.
dump and Jon,Sorry, I was too vague with my stupid head. I am just Mad. Jon I could see you misunderstanding my rant,simply giving wonderful Information about Gwin you were? Which was great. Thank You. dump,”Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beav”. Do you know how funny that is? Peace.
Avy
Sounds like you feel the same way as many of us: Respect for his results, but just not a huge fan of him for other reasons. The personality that comes across through media never tells the whole story, but still.
No Please both of you. It could help me understand why A lot of people don’t care for him? Are you in the know,so to be privy to unknown knowledge? Or is it more simple? Both of you did not share why you feel the way you do. What is the Whole Story?
Sorry Jon,don’t know why you came up? I was not speaking to you. I was speaking to OG and the other guy talking about how it is almost impossible to beat Gwins record.
Avy

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
dump and Jon,Sorry, I was too vague with my stupid head. I am just Mad. Jon I could see you misunderstanding my rant,simply giving wonderful Information about Gwin you were? Which was great. Thank You. dump,”Ward, I think you were a little hard on the Beav”. Do you know how funny that is? Peace.
Avy

No Please both of you. It could help me understand why A lot of people don’t care for him? Are you in the know,so to be privy to unknown knowledge? Or is it more simple? Both of you did not share why you feel the way you do. What is the Whole Story? Peace.
Avy
Maybe he's just not personable or relatable, from what he portrays in the public?

Not everyone is a fan of Lord Bummer, either. Though that title seems a little inaccurate, as of late.

I don't think anyone actually hates Gwin, other than maybe the reciever of his letter of intent.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Avy

No Please both of you. It could help me understand why A lot of people don’t care for him? Are you in the know,so to be privy to unknown knowledge? Or is it more simple? Both of you did not share why you feel the way you do. What is the Whole Story?
Sorry Jon,don’t know why you came up? I was not speaking to you. I was speaking to OG and the other guy talking about how it is almost impossible to beat Gwins record.
Avy

Whether they realize it or not, riders are in the business of entertaining us, and we can choose who we like or dislike on whimsey. I used to really enjoy watching him ride, but he hasn't been the same since that thumb injury, his head isn't doesn't seem to be in the game any more. Injuries are part of the sport, Brook was being told he would never walk again the last race at Snowshoe. Pierron has probably spent more time in the ICU in the past year than he has on his bike. Daprela won a race looking like he was the victim of a hate crime. Loic and Marine could barely walk last race. I am not going to give him shit for not racing if he is not 100% ready, but I'm going to like the racers who want it and go out there no matter what. I don't know the guy and I am guessing the few clips I see of him aren't a good representation of who he is, but as a fan I don't have to have a reason to like him one way or the other.

Also the happiest I have ever seen him was when Cathro asked him how much money he made, not a win.

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
I dont remember the track from the lasy round but after Vital's Raw clip I am diggin it. From a spectator pov it is different to other tracks. There are some nasty rocks mid corner, which have been marked but dam if you clip one going inside. That double drop as the riders exit the forest is interesting, mainly getting the 2nd drop dialled.
Great to see Wyn back on the bike. You can always tell its him from his posture, totally unique.
Should be a great set of racers with riders aiming to end the season as high in the rankings as possible.
Jelly of the Monkeys that will be track side, and enjoy the mayhem fellas.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Never made it in less than 5 door to door. Getting out of Pittsburgh was always hell.
My theory about why Alterra choses Snowshoe over their more desirable properties with better lodging, food, trails, airports, humans etc to shake down the world of mtb?

They own the greatest percentage of the lodging and food at Snowshoe v other resorts- and the “pay in chits logging camp vibe” up there is no joke, being in the middle of nowhere makes the staff and guests captive and oh-so-perfect to rip off. One of the current IMBA trail solutions people who used to work at SS was able to convince people what a mint could be made, so SS got on the USAC nationals hosting game to butter up National Event staff to aprrove a bid, the bikers came and mated sufficiently in captivity and the balance sheets looked good enough that even a publicy traded multinational corporation could see an upside to paying inscription fees.

Since George at ESC is banned for life from USAC for flipping out on a UCI commisare and also messing up collegiate nationals years ago with Laszlo, there are basically no local organizing committees in communities in the Northeast that have any experience with high quality mtb event production.
Basically, ESC monopolizing Northeastern DH(mainly by talking shit about every potential promoter that isn’t named George and demanding dates and exclusivity from venues that keep other people from running NEDH races) definitely gets in the way of professionals, like tourism DMO’s or passionate locals of holding any races, let alone going through the track building and USAC-inscribed test-event necessary to have usac sign off on any uci-bid, let alone a world cup bid.
There have been groups of people over the last few years trying to lay the groundwork and prep some not-in-WV east coast places for international level dh racing. I know, personally I’d rather drive 14 hours each way to heckle at a World Cup in Maine that’s only a 2.5 hour drive from Mt St. Anne that is in a community with an active and growing mtb population and has enough lodging and camping to ACTUALLY accommodate a UCI race, and would respect the Norba-era tradition of demanding to run amateur racing during the race weekends to help extract $$ and psych up the youth.