Quantcast

Snowshoe and weather?

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
Does anyone know what the weather is typically like at the end of June/ beginning of July? We are planning a trip to ride the mountain from July 4-10.

Should I plan on dry or wet conditions?

When is the best time of year to ride Snowshoe weather-wise?

Thanks

Endo

Chimp
Jan 4, 2002
Virginia
It was dry once about two or three years ago in the fall....
actually dusty. What a great trip that was.
I love snowshoe, Mud is good for your soul.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Step 1: buy 55 gallon drum of crude oil
Step 2: buy a couple of cans of crisco spread (lard)
Step 3: Mix until slippery creamy texture
step 4: apply to your favorite off camber rock garden on a downhill
Step 5: ride down it with reckless abandonment!
Step 6: repeat step 5 until you are comfortable with it!

Now you are prepared!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Actually, stuff here tends to start to get dried out by late June early July. Everyone's image is tainted by early summer rainfall during NORBA.......why they won't schedule us later in the summer is something I will never understand. Usually August and September are really good in terms of drier trail conditions, though it remains tacky in places. Even though the mountain was logged many years ago, the forrested areas remain so dense that sunlight can't penetrate to dry things out, thus we have to rely on the wind to help out.

Anyways, a muddy trail isn't that bad here. What is bad is at times like Norba where you have a ton of riders hitting the same trail and same lines, dragging that mud into the rock gardens.........then it becomes a little intereting.

That said, I have seen monumental rainfall around here pretty much every month of the year. The past couple of summers have lead to some very odd weather patterns. There are days when it is raining only at Snowshoe, we are covered in a thick layer of cloud/fog, and not 3 miles from the mountain it's 90 degrees and sunny amazing weather. I've grown up and/or lived on this mountain pretty much my whole life, so I am used to it and find mud riding to be super fun.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
Hulk's right (obviously) but Snowshoe seems, in my experience, tot have the unnerving ability to be muddy even when it's dry and sunny - the September Mayhem race, the weather was dry as a bone and beautiful, and yet somehow, the racecourse was about 1/2 mud soup and 1/2 nice and dry. I think there are some springs that migrated into the trails or something....wierd.....

Salami

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Waxhaw, NC
DAMN! Thanks for all the quick replies! I guess to expect possibly sunny skys but no matter what the trails will probably be muddy. I will bring lots of extra clothes.:D

Originally posted by Mtb_Rob_FL
Stop stealing my ideas! :devil:
^ As for you, how am I stealing your ideas? We are gonna ride and jump off ****, not keep our wheels glued to the ground :p . Also this is a family vacation, little ones and all.

What dates are you looking at for the Club Mud trip? I guess the name is appropiate for the condtions at Snowshoe, eh?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
About the best advice I can offer is plan for everything and be prepared for anything. Early season here is a hit-or-miss affair, meaning it may be nice today and rain like hell tomorrow.

DBR (by the way, how do you make that weird B?!?!), the sept race last year was a bit of a unique situation. It rained on us really badly on that thursday afternoon and friday morning while we were taping the course. By Saturday mid-day, the sun and wind had started to dry out the mountain, while the water had migrated down to the lower section. Once it got to the bottom, which was just so beat up to begin with, it just got sloppy down there. Anyways, your right though, there are a ton of natural springs on this mountain and it seems like even more pop up daily.

sguhrofst8

Monkey
Nov 4, 2003
Columbia, MD
its wet, and has tons of slippery goodness all over the place. maybe they built stunts over all the wet spots! then again maybe they built them over all the dry spots? who knows, anyway its wet but fun.
--z--

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
We are three riders from NYC who are comming down rain or shine the weekend of May 28-31. I will be on a matt black Orange 222 stop and say hi if you see us.