Quantcast

Snowshoe Camp

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
I'll be up at Snowshoe that weekend, or maybe during the week of the camp, but not at the camp itself since it's considerably cheaper to just ride on your own.

Plus Shaums, funny hippy name and all, ain't got sh*t on me and I'll light his ass up.

Word.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
actually it was very instructional and i wouldn't have placed at all last season if it wasn't for some of the things I learned at the camp. It was the funnest thing i did last year. Shaums is an amazing rider (even on his semi-broken wrist last year). But if you ride downhill a lot you'll probably be in the expert group and you ride right along shaums or april lawyer...

Freeride and Downhill Camp: June 20 - 23 and August 15 - 18
..........................................................................................................................

The freeride and downhill camps are geared towards intermediate to advanced riders looking to build skills in every aspect of their riding. Some of the areas that the camps will focus on include: how to corner effectively, overall bike handling skills, bike set-up with suspension tips, how to choose lines for racing, freeriding skills and much more. The camp includes the following:

- 3 Nights Lodging (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday)
- 2 1/2 Days Instruction (Tuesday PM, Wednesday and Thursday)
- 1 Day of 'On Your Own' Riding (Friday)
- Breakfast 3 Mornings (Wednesday, Thursday and Friday)
- Lunch 2 Days (Wednesday and Thursday)
- Dinner 3 Nights (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday)

Price is $450 per student and includes all the items listed above.
Camp instruction is provided by Mad March Racing, which is headed by Shaums March. Click here for complete information on Mad March Racing.

General Freeride / Downhill Camp Information:
..........................................................................................................................

* Camps are limited to 25 students per camp. These camps will sell out so register early.
* To register, you will need to provide your name, address, phone number, age and a method of payment (preferably a credit card). Your credit card will hold your spot for the camp, but will not be charged until May 15. After May 15, there is a 50% cancellation fee if you choose to back out of the camp.
* Available for ages 14 years of age or older. Under 18 participant required parent or legal guardian present at start of camp. If not available, all waivers must be signed and notarized for said student.
* Freeride or downhill type bike heavily recommended. Camp participants will receive a discount on bike rentals for the duration of the camp.
* Full face helmet is required and elbow, knee/shin, gloves and proper footwear recommended.
* Camp lodging will be at Ravenswood Condos. These are three bedroom condos. Each camp participant will receive their own room. For rooming, camp participants will be grouped by age and sex.
* The nearest airport for those choosing to travel by air is the Greenbrier Valley Airport in Lewisburg, WV. A complimentary shuttle will be provided from the airport to Snowshoe and back. This shuttle will depart the airport on Tuesday at 11am and will depart Snowshoe on Saturday at 9am. When registering, please make mention if you will need this shuttle service.

Registration is currently available for the camps above by calling Brian Rowe at 304-572-5486 or by email at browe@snowshoemtn.com.

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
April Lawyer, yes please.

I don't even mind the big nose, but she's gotta wear those shoes and is it wrong to include the kiddie's tricycle in the equation?

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
Metal dude -- which group were riding with??? I was in the slow group on the grey Iron Horse.

April rode with the slow guys (like me) most of the time at the camp. Colin Bailey was the "fast" coach, and Shaums rode with both groups. We would do some drills (on the hill behind the MAC) and then go ride, both sides of the mountain. Drills were everything from turning to dropping in and refining some of the fundemental stuff you tend to let slide. No real distinction between the park side and the DH side skills. My camp was probably 50/50 "motocross kids"&under 18 and us working stiffs -- the riding groups broke out roughly the same. If nothing else, you got fed and a lift pass for a couple of days.

The instrctors were a class group -- real people you could talk to and hang out with, just chatting while riding the lifts or at dinner, but defintely still a professionally run camp. Derrick and the other MAC guy was also a hoot. The only down side was the accomadations -- I've stayed at a variety of SS places before, and this had to be the worst. Think "really cheap hotel room with a funny smell". I'd do it again if I had the time (but with my own room), on the schedule for 2007 if they come back.

dairy_dude

Chimp
Nov 19, 2004
I would like to but parents have to be there first day and its just not feasable for my parents to drive 4.5 hrs there and back on 2 days. If it weren't for that i'd save some cash and drive myself.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
April wasn't there for the June camp last year (the one I was at). I rode with Shaums in the high level group (advanced or expert or somehin) and it was one of my first times riding my demo 8 (first fully).

The people that work at snowshoe are some of the coolest people I know.

There's a lot of things going on at snowshoe if you know people. :evil:

hurlykid6900

Chimp
Oct 23, 2005
C-Ville Rep yo
yo i was there las year son. its tight yo. and its def worth the money to go, its about the same price as a lift ticket and a room, but you get great instruction also. I'll be there at the first date. its rad diggity.

hurlykid6900

Chimp
Oct 23, 2005
C-Ville Rep yo
I would like to but parents have to be there first day and its just not feasable for my parents to drive 4.5 hrs there and back on 2 days. If it weren't for that i'd save some cash and drive myself.
just get your forms notarized yo, they dont need to be there.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I worked @ Snowshoe last summer in the shop and watched the camp when it was going. You definetly learn proper cornering even from just watching i realized what i was doing wrong in flat corners and it helped. Shaums is a brilliant guy who knows everything there is to know about downhill racing.

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I did the August camp last year, with Shaums and April. It was a fun time. I really didn't get that much out of the skills sessions, maybe a little. But getting to ride with a group was fun. I'm signed up for the June camp this year, but I'm thinking to not do the camp and just go upto SS on those dates. I bought a condo up there so lodging is free for me. And they only knocked like $25 off the cost of the camp if you use your own lodging. I'll probably just end up going up there and riding with HBT. I think that will be alot cheaper than paying for the camp.

The lodging they provide for the camp was the employee lodging. So it was kindof like a bad college dorm room. It was also close to the dumpsters. While I was taking stuff to my car to leave, I left the hatch open and went inside to get more stuff. When I came back out, there was a black bear climbing into the back of my Subaru Outback. Some of the employees who were staying in the rooms upstairs saw it and starting taking pictures. The flashes scared the bear away. Apparently somebody left a box of Wheat Thins in my trunk when I was riding up at the Shed, and that is what the bear was after.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
I thought the lodging was great last year. For a room with 4 people, we had 3 bedrooms, 2 master bathrooms, a couch and some chairs, a tv with dvd player, a bar with bar stools, and a full kitchen. It also had a back porch. :love:

May 24, 2005
Baltimore
Pah....that's like steerage class!

Oldskool rolls top shelf. It's the finest champaigne, hookers and blow at his place. Viva la 72 hour bender!!

I kid, I kid.

Or do I....

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
HotButterToppin said:
Everyone wants to know a dude with a condo at Snowshoe, hahahaha.

Groupies, the lot of you!
Especially now that they tore down the "Plywood Palace", AKA Spruce Lodge, the cheapest place to stay.

Mike

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
I could probably hook some Monkeys up with room this summer. I couldn't do it for free however, since I'm paying $1200/month for the place. I'll probably be able to do it for $85/night. Which will be great for the location of the room. The place is right in the village. Right next to the Pizza place. It is right next where they will build the DJ/Slopstyle park this summer. The window overlooks the park so you can watch people jumping and styling while relaxing in the room.

haromtnbiker I don't know where the put you for lodging at the bike camp. My room didn't even have A/C and the screen in the window was missing. No balcony, no DVD. It only had a 13" TV that barely worked. Heck the phone wouldn't even dial out.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
oldskoolbiker said:
I could probably hook some Monkeys up with room this summer. I couldn't do it for free however, since I'm paying $1200/month for the place. I'll probably be able to do it for $85/night. Which will be great for the location of the room. The place is right in the village. Right next to the Pizza place. It is right next where they will build the DJ/Slopstyle park this summer. The window overlooks the park so you can watch people jumping and styling while relaxing in the room.

haromtnbiker I don't know where the put you for lodging at the bike camp. My room didn't even have A/C and the screen in the window was missing. No balcony, no DVD. It only had a 13" TV that barely worked. Heck the phone wouldn't even dial out.
85.00 is fair. I'll shoot ya a PM for dibs. Being a parent and husband like a few of us are, the neat thing is, we actually clean up after ourselves! This of course is when the wife doesn't come, she's a clean freak!!! :thumb:

:D

Peace.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
yea nothing wrong with mine. The fans were extremely noisy and the kids next to our room said he saw a mouse in one room (some dude with a trials bike).