Quantcast

Snowshoe DH Course? Any info

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
I have looked high and low at all the new pictures from this past weekend and I wanted to know if anyone rode the new DH course.

Not the sport course.

Anyone........

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I did indeed ride the new course on a hardtail! All I can say is that it was sketchy as hell. Not because of the rocks but because it is newly cut. Here is the lowdown, the couse starts in the normal spot and takes you all the way down to the road, it crosses the road under the lift instead of the singltrack it used to be on. They took out the big rock drop followed by the smaller one and replaced it with a smaller rock section followed by a sweet switchback steep section. It comes out onto Cup and that is what was a nightmare. Totally off camber loose as hell muddy section. All the way down to a nice Log drop, then it opens up a bit on the ski slope and ducks you back into the woods for the finish (where there is a nice rock drop). I hope this helps. Overall opinion is that the course will be much faster without all the ridiculous rock sections but I will miss the rock drops and the wild zone they were always killer. Hope this helps!

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Man that sounds weak! I am sure it will beat me into a pile of crap.

Did you say you rode it on a hardtail?

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Originally posted by manhattanprjkt83
I did indeed ride the new course on a hardtail! All I can say is that it was sketchy as hell. Not because of the rocks but because it is newly cut. Here is the lowdown, the couse starts in the normal spot and takes you all the way down to the road, it crosses the road under the lift instead of the singltrack it used to be on. They took out the big rock drop followed by the smaller one and replaced it with a smaller rock section followed by a sweet switchback steep section. It comes out onto Cup and that is what was a nightmare. Totally off camber loose as hell muddy section. All the way down to a nice Log drop, then it opens up a bit on the ski slope and ducks you back into the woods for the finish (where there is a nice rock drop). I hope this helps. Overall opinion is that the course will be much faster without all the ridiculous rock sections but I will miss the rock drops and the wild zone they were always killer. Hope this helps!
What HT were you on? I was riding a .243 and didnt' see anyone else on the DH/FR stuff on a Ht. that off camber part that was all slick mud was crazy!

Manhatten did you ride the sport course too? That was the muddiest trail i think i have ever rode...

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
hardtails all over the place you must have hit too many rocks on your Ht to see straight.

The new DH Course is a lot less rocky then the old, now it is mostly an off camber mud slide...LOL Bring some spikey narrow tires.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Originally posted by yellowfox
What HT were you on? I was riding a .243 and didnt' see anyone else on the DH/FR stuff on a Ht. that off camber part that was all slick mud was crazy!

Manhatten did you ride the sport course too? That was the muddiest trail i think i have ever rode...
We only rode the sport course (and I :love: it!!!) Actually, one of the Jackalopes was representin' on a Planet X HT!

You don't happen to be friends with a chick that broke her collar bone on the Fireroad/Freeride side do you? I think she said she was from OH.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Originally posted by TreeSaw

You don't happen to be friends with a chick that broke her collar bone on the Fireroad/Freeride side do you? I think she said she was from OH.
nope, hope shes gonna be alright. was she wearing a jersey?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Here's my personal opinions after riding the new course many times:

-It's less techincal, but much more high speed. Depending on how you look at it, this can make it a dream if you like speed or a nightmare if your not the greatest at high speed.
-More drops/jumps. They are not necessarily bigger or harder, just more of them throughout the entire course.
-More turns. Again, either a nightmare or dream depending on your tastes.
-Big off camber section at the bottom. This is a section where I am horrible, but it was still fun enough and should develop a strong line through it after a practice session!
-It was wet/muddy this weekend, but the layout of that course is through a much drier section of the mountain. The course should hold up very well in rain/downpours and stand up well to riders blazing the mud.
-The overall flow feels very good to me. Plenty of opportunities to pin it, yet enough opportunities on the course to rest a little. The drops and jumps make for a very fun ride, IMHO of course!
-Finally, tire selection is going to be the major factor on this course.

It's hard to say what times will look like stacked up against times from last year, but the course should be fast and fun. No more riding rutted out, ragged out, old dh course........the big reason we had to cut a whole new course, the old one is nearly beyond repair!

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Originally posted by yellowfox

Yo man i dont mean to call you out but i was standing there when you wiped out on that rock drop on the freeride side. I asked you how you were holding up and you said alright except for the krad on the back. I was on a ruckus with a camo sherman :( . By the way major props for doing those trails in that condition on a hardtail with k rads and a singlespeed. i think we were almost lone rangers up there...

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
Originally posted by manhattanprjkt83
Yo man i dont mean to call you out but i was standing there when you wiped out on that rock drop on the freeride side. I asked you how you were holding up and you said alright except for the krad on the back. I was on a ruckus with a camo sherman :( . By the way major props for doing those trails in that condition on a hardtail with k rads and a singlespeed. i think we were almost lone rangers up there...
don't worry bout it dude, i had an awesome time! that crash was way more painful looking than it actually was. I prolly shoulda checked out that landing first instead of going gung ho for it haha Its all good. Thank god for chest protection :D learn from your mistakes!

any of you guys hit that big jump on the FR side? it was where the racers edge sign was i believe.

V10 PA

Chimp
Mar 21, 2004
Can anyone desrcibe the sport course?? I was down there this weekend and wanst sure where it was between the old trails and the new expert course.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yeah man it looked vicious, but oh well...anyway no we didnt hit the big gap at the bottom, there is a real good shot on the webpage of a guy skying off that. I didnt have the stones to do it. It is a damn shame for this weekend i think i am giong to grab myself a KONA stinky because i am going to be spending alot of time in the future at snowshoe! Are you gonna be down there for the national? I am looking to do some riding the as well.

yellowfox

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
Akron OH
yeh i think i will be down there.

do you have a link to the guy skying off that jump? His names Kevin, i was riding with him for a while, hes from southern Ohio. He was wondering who had the pic posted of him and was curious where it was so he could finally see a pic.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Originally posted by V10 PA
Can anyone desrcibe the sport course?? I was down there this weekend and wanst sure where it was between the old trails and the new expert course.
The only change to the sport course is taking out that gnarly second drop on Ball 'n the Jack where you turn left around that big tree, over a flat slippery rock and do a 6 foot drop in to the road. You go a little farther down the skid road and drop in left to pretty much a straight shot to the road below.

Mike