Quantcast

Snowshoe race #1 downhill course info!!

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I hope it is not that cyclocross section that they had in the first race last year. They finally re-routed it after they realized how stupid it was to have downhill bikes pedal in 3 inches of mud on a flat surface. There were also several drainage ditches that were 2 feet deep that absolutely killed your momentum. It sounds like the course favors a Marin Quake.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I hope it is not that cyclocross section that they had in the first race last year. They finally re-routed it after they realized how stupid it was to have downhill bikes pedal in 3 inches of mud on a flat surface. There were also several drainage ditches that were 2 feet deep that absolutely killed your momentum. It sounds like the course favors a Marin Quake.
There are ditches. Helps with drainage.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Hmmm so would it be worth bringing along a 6" AM bike just in case the course is that mellow/pedally?

STOKED to finally ride the shoe, and of course - RACE!

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Well, I will have about $400 in fuel, $125 in entry and lift plus another $100 in lodging for this race. That's why I want to know if the course is going to be uphill or be a mud bog. I didn't make it to the first race last year since I was laid up with a broken leg. However, many of the people that went told me that they wouldn't go to Snowshoe for a race if the course was going to be similar.

My point is that I'll go somewhere else instead of the next race to spend my money if they are going to build stuff like that again. Regardless, I'll be there for this race since I already have the condo paid for. However, we are there with a crew of 20+ people and I'll push to go to Plattekill, Diablo or Whiteface instead. I hate to be an a$$ but for whatever reason the SS crew likes to be all secretive about what is going on down there. The other resorts tell me exactly what the course is months before hand. Hint.

PDS RX

Monkey
Sep 11, 2007
Richmond VA
ok people its still snowshoe other then have to pedal to do good, the course rips and if you bring anything other then a DH bike you will get handed, when we say its mellow its still more technical then WISP and If your out of shape you will struggle to beat the 6:35 mark

banche

Monkey
Jul 21, 2003
BANNED FOR LIFE
the start is at the inn and you have to race to the top do two jump n jacks 4 push ups and a parade wave!! they can't tell you the course if they don't know what it will be. things change on a daily basis! i don't work for the mtn. anymore,but i can say the 3 guys,yea only 3 guys on the crew this year, are bustin their a$$es for you guys!! the course is TITS! its good to have pedaling sections it'll get people in shape! and its snowshoe its going to rain!!

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
Spendin' Chips at Manny's
Snowshoe is Snowshoe and seems like every trip is a surprise race weekend or ride weekend and that's the beauty of it all.

It's in the middle of a rain forest and offers, IMO, the best of the East has to offer.

It was freakin' cool to see the HGR team there last year in force and the video the followed Mayhem and couldn't imagine you guys NOT being there.

Speaking from personal experiences...the only time I have ever been disappointed with the Shoe is when I can't go..

:cheers:

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
It would not be Downhill if there are climbs, it would be XC then? or at best Super D. and Yes I'm LAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
It's bike racing. You got to pedal. Best DH course ever Mt. 7 psychosis Golden B.C. There is a huge hike a bike section. Raced it last year. There should be more tracks like that....:cheers: Just bustin balls Richard:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Snowshoe is Snowshoe and seems like every trip is a surprise race weekend or ride weekend and that's the beauty of it all.

It's in the middle of a rain forest and offers, IMO, the best of the East has to offer.

It was freakin' cool to see the HGR team there last year in force and the video the followed Mayhem and couldn't imagine you guys NOT being there.

Speaking from personal experiences...the only time I have ever been disappointed with the Shoe is when I can't go..

yeah, we have 20+ people going to this race between the team and friends staying with us. That said, at leat 5 people have expressed a high level of interest in going somewhere else in place of the 2nd and 3rd races if the course sucks at this race.

Eitherway, I'll have fun freeriding at this race.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
yeah, we have 20+ people going to this race between the team and friends staying with us. That said, at leat 5 people have expressed a high level of interest in going somewhere else in place of the 2nd and 3rd races if the course sucks at this race.

Eitherway, I'll have fun freeriding at this race.

"Sucks" is a matter of opinion. If I had 5 people with that attitude..they wouldn't be on my team.

Good luck..hear Freeriding is awesome on the Basin side.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
"Sucks" is a matter of opinion. If I had 5 people with that attitude..they wouldn't be on my team.

Good luck..hear Freeriding is awesome on the Basin side.

I am racing. I just meant if the course isn't fun, I'll ride other trails.

With regards to the attitude, keep in mind we are from the midwest. Everyone is paying $400+ to do a race. Therefore, we go to races with good courses. Pretty much anywhere is a 9-12 hour drive. We typically go to Snowshoe since the lift is quick and you can get a lot of riding in. Plus, with the drive being 9 hours, you can get home for work on Monday.

Sponsors prefer us to be at more venues than just Snowshoe so series results are meaningless.

Anyway, my point is that the course should be fun. Most people don't think that muddy pedal fest courses are fun. Would you rather I not post this opinion and just go elsewhere?

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
I am racing. I just meant if the course isn't fun, I'll ride other trails.

With regards to the attitude, keep in mind we are from the midwest. Everyone is paying $400+ to do a race. Therefore, we go to races with good courses. Pretty much anywhere is a 9-12 hour drive. We typically go to Snowshoe since the lift is quick and you can get a lot of riding in. Plus, with the drive being 9 hours, you can get home for work on Monday.

Sponsors prefer us to be at more venues than just Snowshoe so series results are meaningless.

Anyway, my point is that the course should be fun. Most people don't think that muddy pedal fest courses are fun. Would you rather I not post this opinion and just go elsewhere?

Trust me when I say we look up to you guys..you've done alot and it would be shame if you quit coming to the Shoe for races.

Love to buy ya' a beer this weekend up at the Weiner Stand. 40s are cheap. Pick your brain a bit and learn a thing or two.

Will be on a 303 in all black. :cheers:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Trust me when I say we look up to you guys..you've done alot and it would be shame if you quit coming to the Shoe for races.

Love to buy ya' a beer this weekend up at the Weiner Stand. 40s are cheap. Pick your brain a bit and learn a thing or two.

Will be on a 303 in all black. :cheers:
thanks for the props. Honestly, I like the place. If I didn't, I would just shut up and go elsewhere.

Anyway, we are staying in the same place as usual. Stop by for a beer. Heck, for that matter, we can take some runs together if you want.

XANDER

Monkey
Aug 21, 2007
thanks for the props. Honestly, I like the place. If I didn't, I would just shut up and go elsewhere.

Anyway, we are staying in the same place as usual. Stop by for a beer. Heck, for that matter, we can take some runs together if you want.

Works here. In TT#8 and #33. Will stop by for sure. Now let's all pray for good weather and cold beers.

See you this weekend.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Good on ya! :thumb: I'm, and/or we're tired of all the negative commentary ALL the time about this place and that place. So now even the slightest commentary will usually net in an all but too honest response.

I have ALWAYS had nothing but respect for HGR, however, negativity has been rampant. Look forward to seeing you there again this year. We'll raise a few bottles! :thumb:

stoneysnake

Monkey
May 24, 2002
easy living, wv
6 inch bikes? wouldn't recommend it if you have a choice.

when was the last time there was a mudbog pedalfest? 02? yes you're going to have to pedal your bike. mudbog pedalfest? doubt it. we build our courses for rain. it's not going to affect our track.

sorry we can't constantly be on ridemonkey guys. we really are out working all the time. i would think that is more important.

big mountain dh. that's what this course is. you're going to need to have skills. cornering, jumping, line selection, braking, and pedalling. it's definitely built with fun in mind but, the course is long. plan on that.

course starts at the top of the lift. very top of the western side. 2 road gaps. 1 is 18ft built for eveyone directly under the lift. the other is 35ft it will separate some people in the elite division. 1 long right hand off camber, 1 long left hand off camber, big step down, big hip jump, berms, flat turns, rock sections, groomed sections, you will need all of your bike handling skills. you haven't raced a course like this yet this season.

hope that helps. super busy this week so we can't be on here all the time.

edit- why would we make the course go uphill? don't think you have to worry about that.

Last edited:

John M

Chimp
Mar 17, 2005
S/E Mich (pancake)
All this talk of fitness made me run upstairs and eat a bowl of Ice Cream......... HGR will be there with a smile on our faces ALL weekend. No matter if it rains,or what we are racing. We have nothing but regard for all you at snowshoe. (Having run our own race series for a 5 or 6 years)
We are by NO means complaining. But the fact that we show up with 20 riders in tow......... And having done the series from the begining. We would hope that the powers that be (the trail crew) would not take what we say as negitive, just something that we (and others) would like to see. We race and ride ALL over the East coast....... Snowshoe is by far MY favorite place. Thanks again for ALL you guys do..... HGR will be at Whistle punk #10 come see us and share a "SODA". If you know us guys at HGR you know a little game we love to play...... drink YOUR beer!!! See you all this weekend- JM

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
sorry we can't constantly be on ridemonkey guys. we really are out working all the time. i would think that is more important.
You should be hooked up with wireless internet and web cams so we can watch you work and bitch about what you're doing. :biggrin:

The problem is you don't have T-Pro anymore sitting on the internet while you guys are out working. :p

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
6 inch bikes? wouldn't recommend it if you have a choice.

when was the last time there was a mudbog pedalfest? 02? yes you're going to have to pedal your bike. mudbog pedalfest? doubt it. we build our courses for rain. it's not going to affect our track.

big mountain dh. that's what this course is. you're going to need to have skills. cornering, jumping, line selection, braking, and pedalling. it's definitely built with fun in mind but, the course is long. plan on that.

course starts at the top of the lift. very top of the western side. 2 road gaps. 1 is 18ft built for eveyone directly under the lift. the other is 35ft it will separate some people in the elite division. 1 long right hand off camber, 1 long left hand off camber, big step down, big hip jump, berms, flat turns, rock sections, groomed sections, you will need all of your bike handling skills. you haven't raced a course like this yet this season.

hope that helps. super busy this week so we can't be on here all the time.

edit- why would we make the course go uphill? don't think you have to worry about that.
Keep up the great work.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
looks like about a 30% chance, but your on top of a mountain, so you never really know. But let us hope and pray it dosent
There's a reason there's a ski resort there. 180in snow per year avg. Snowshoe mtn has a way of squeezing every drop of moisture from any passing cloud. The course is solid and it will be good. The DS course could use a good soaking to pack it down.

They were calling for 40% last Sat and 50% Sun and it rained very little and it had little effect on the trails. If anything it made them a bit tackier which is a good thing.

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
Works here. In TT#8 and #33. Will stop by for sure. Now let's all pray for good weather and cold beers. See you this weekend.
There's no question that cold beer (select IPA's & Belguim triples) will be on hand but the weather is up to God and he may want to see peanut butter........

See you there,

Big J

dhrookie

Monkey
Jan 22, 2008
Obetz, OH
man what a blast this weekend! cant wait to go back in july.
heard a rumor that the course will be on the basin side:crazy:?!?!?!?

Jettj45

Monkey
Oct 20, 2005
Butthole of NC
That course was awesome!!! Aside from me hyper extending my knee in my race run haha. I hope the next race course is super fast too! Anyone have pictures up? Unfortunally got MRI's and I tore my ACL so out for the season...

Last edited:

Big J

Monkey
Jul 18, 2005
Chicago
I got home at 7am Monday morning after battling rush hour(s) traffic......

We had a great time and wanted to thank the Snowshoe staff for all of your hard work and another great race.

Thanks again,

Chi Town Crew