Quantcast

Snowshoe Race #4 courses

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Any info on them yet? T-pro, care to field this one?

if it falls in line with the way you and the crew have been doing it, it can only get better! great job again guys and thanks!

(BTW - Banche, T-pro and Dink, I'll have the pics to you as promised on CD at the next race.)

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
I vote for the top of the Old Norba pro course into the lower part quick draw.

fast and flowy up top to get your groove on, a few drops to keep your attention, then separate the men from the boys on the twisty rocky single track at the bottom.

Oh yeah, and make a 30 + category ;-)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i say.
whatever they decide, we'll have a damn good time riding it.

ya'll quit whimperin about that big age group.
a buddy of mine raced his first ever d.h. race at #3.
and at 38yrs. of age managed a strong top ten.
and he said if he hadn't slid through the first berm and had hit those bogus doubles. he'd have finished a lot higher.

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
I must admit, those doubles were some of the poorest constructed I've seen. I sat and watched pros and ams alike come through and just get them horribly wrong.

I waited in vain for dhbuilder to appear out of the woods with a shovel and 5 gallon bucket to fix them. Like MacGyver.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
there are going to be two seperate couses. One for Pro Open, and another for begginer and intermmediate. the Pro open course will most likley incourperate hair ball and probobly the new/old section under the western territory lift.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Pi31412 said:
I must admit, those doubles were some of the poorest constructed I've seen. I sat and watched pros and ams alike come through and just get them horribly wrong.

I waited in vain for dhbuilder to appear out of the woods with a shovel and 5 gallon bucket to fix them. Like MacGyver.
too bad it's not my mountain, or i would.
with the speed you carried out of the woods there, it would be a perfect place for about three big 25' doubles with long tapered landers that would loft you nicely into the next one.

yeah man. i'd love to build something up there.
theres a long rockslide under the ski lift that if built up, would put southernrocks to shame.
gimme a mattock, shovel, rake, bucket and a weedeater.........

Jun 11, 2004
Pi31412 said:
IMO.......I think they were purposely designed to be tricky/hard to ride.

I personally was gapping the first one and manualing over the take off and lander of the second one. Because I didn't want to commit to that second one..........

I too saw a lot of people ride them horribly wrong, but I also saw quite a few hitting both of them smoothly.

It was definately a spot on the course where someone could gain a few seconds if they could ride them clean. So props to those riders who were able to figure them out..........

Anyways, big thanks again to Snow Shoe Crew for all the effort.........looking forward to the next one!

Pi31412 said:
If Joey got his hands on that mountain it would be a sick ass run!!!!

Pi31412

Chimp
May 30, 2006
Ol' dhbuilder would take a section of wooden fence, saw it in half, put legs on it to form a ladder drop, then stick it on top of that gigantic boulder under the Ballhooter lift (east side lift) where this past weekend you could see a pink flip-flop and beer bottles. Build a nice steep wood tranny below and there you are, a 15-20 footer for people [not me] to hit.

Actually Joey would probably just try to build some obscenely steep run that crosses the road you drive up to get to the top... Nothing says Windrock like steep roll-ins and and big g-out road crossings. ;)

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
Pi31412 said:
Ol' dhbuilder would take a section of wooden fence, saw it in half, put legs on it to form a ladder drop, then stick it on top of that gigantic boulder under the Ballhooter lift (east side lift) where this past weekend you could see a pink flip-flop and beer bottles. Build a nice steep wood tranny below and there you are, a 15-20 footer for people [not me] to hit.

Actually Joey would probably just try to build some obscenely steep run that crosses the road you drive up to get to the top... Nothing says Windrock like steep roll-ins and and big g-out road crossings. ;)

That was the pantie lift this winter. There were 20+ multi-colored thongs (and a few big girl panties) strung through the trees back in MArch.

And I don't think the basin side has enough elevation loss for what the old man and his masked bandits like to do.

metalMTB

Monkey
Sep 14, 2005
Richmond, VA
lower hairball is fun. i'm racing intro this time on my p.3 with an 80 mm travel fork because i cracked my demo. it should be interesting racing my djing/urban/mtn.cross bike.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
d.e.f. said:
And I don't think the basin side has enough elevation loss for what the old man and his masked bandits like to do.
not to worry man.
i don't drive six hours to get there to ride that side of the mt.
never seen it.
don't plan to.

that place is all about the western territory.
and every wonderful trail it contains.

def

Monkey
Feb 12, 2003
knoxville, tn
dhbuilder said:
not to worry man.
i don't drive six hours to get there to ride that side of the mt.
never seen it.
don't plan to.

that place is all about the western territory.
and every wonderful trail it contains.
I did some runs there last weekend. I just wanted to ride as many different trails as possible. I'm not one for wooden features just for the sake of wooden features, but the trails were fun. I just wanted more, it felt like I was back at the lift too quickly. My favorite on the basin side was the berm trail past the monster park. Nothing hard to ride, but cool to ride hard.

Some of those trails would be cool as steep, keep you honest sections on longer runs. It felt like riding the old trail 2 rock garden at Windrock, getting to the end of it and getting on trail 14 to go back up again.....and that just isn't enough. I just couldn't get a good feeling over there. Again, once I started to, it was over.

But hell, there is so much to ride out there and some people dig those kinds of trails and others dig the style of the Western Territory.....a hommie says 'variety is the spice of life.'

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
I hope the next trail just has some good photo ops. I'll be up there taking pictures of everyone that comees through, and then selling em over da net.

And as for the basin side, there are quite a few fun trails over there, and most of it is steeper than the western territory. My favorite run is B to J.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
i say.
ya'll quit whimperin about that big age group.
a buddy of mine raced his first ever d.h. race at #3.
and at 38yrs. of age managed a strong top ten.
and he said if he hadn't slid through the first berm and had hit those bogus doubles. he'd have finished a lot higher.
Sounds like your bud has a strong MOTO /MOTO racing background, which if that is the case a DH race is a step down..........

In that case he would be the exception and not the rule............

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Sounds like your bud has a strong MOTO /MOTO racing background, which if that is the case a DH race is a step down..........

In that case he would be the exception and not the rule............
naw.
he's just a windrock local.

Last question...lifts running Friday afternoon???
Usually not, you have to catch the shuttle bus back to the top on Fridays and the lifts will be operating saturday and sunday. Registration will begin Friday from 5pm-9pm at the Depot in the village. I have not seen any online registration for any of the other races. You can buy your lift pass fro friday from the mountain adventure center located directly across from the Junction restaurant.

Robusto

Monkey
Usually not, you have to catch the shuttle bus back to the top on Fridays and the lifts will be operating saturday and sunday. Registration will begin Friday from 5pm-9pm at the Depot in the village. I have not seen any online registration for any of the other races. You can buy your lift pass fro friday from the mountain adventure center located directly across from the Junction restaurant.
Registration is open on Saturday too though right? I usually dont get til 10 or later... so I hope so.