Quantcast

Snowshoe Race 4 Results? Pics? Stories?

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Maybe I'm just impatient, or it's the fact that I'm annoyed at not being able to go to any of the races this summer, but where the hell is all the info?!

It seems as though every other race of every size, importance, and caliber are discussed in detail here; what happened to the popularity of SS?!

Now, appease me!! Results, pictures, drunken tales of debauchery, etc.!! :D

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
We learned that it will take more than two mini mortars to blow up a pumpkin. Additionally, that upside down bike race amusement park deal they had during the grass slalom race was insanely fun!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
what happened to the popularity of SS?!
Good point. Attendance has been way down. While SS has some incredible, natural terrain their bike park has been weaker and weaker every year. Hell this year they couldn't even be bothered to weed-eat or clean up any of the other trails beside the race courses. I tried to go down upper hareball and got lost in the raptor grass. It seems they are more amped to machine cut 12 foot wide swaths down the mountain and call it a trail.

Don't get me wrong, they have some incredible races courses. I have been to every race since 2004 because of this. But I think the resort in a whole is less interested every year. I am thankful for each and every course marshal, timer, employee and volunteer for keeping these races going.

Oh yeah, if you make it to every race and try to palce high the series points, don't get your hopes up for some recognition. I was fortunate to place 2nd in the pro/open/elite class and got zip. But I was stoked to see they gave trophies 3 deep for the old school dual slalom. :rolleyes:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Everybody is under the gun financially, particularly destination resorts. I can only assume their budget this year is a fraction of what it was in the more lavish recent past.

And riders are staying more local than ever. It's hard to drive 6 hours when I've got 6 races this summer within 2 hours.

If they want to set themselves apart, I say they go UCI points all the way next year. Pros gunning for international points in the spring would be off the hook.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Sounds like they died after the last national there in 04
The first few years after the National they did great. Good payouts, prizes, etc. The turn outs were 150+ maybe over 200 at a few. Other than that it has dropped off. Like Butch said, why drive 6+ hrs for a few races when you can hit up 6+ races for the same cost to do the few at the Shoe. Now with that being said, Snow Shoe has some of the best trails and race course I have ever raced on. But with todays times, the cost to go there for 2days to race is what is stopping me from going. They need to come up with a total weekend race package. One cost for Race, Lift, and a place to stay. Make it make sence for the racer and they will come.

Just my thoughts,
Cecil

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
some good points and conversation going on in here but, um... does anyone have ANY results?
call me weird, but I still at least like to know the top 5 placed Pros on any given Sunday, and whatever other notable results were posted by other riders, Pro or not!

Is it totally unrealistic for Snowshoe to post results on Sunday evening? I mean, I did live there in the past and I completely know how a post-race afternoon can quickly get out of hand, but seriously, how long does it take? I'm looking at you P-Diddy... (if you still lurk these boards, that is...)

Don't misconstrue this as hate towards SS either; it is still the upper-echelon of places I love to ride (well...not counting Whistler). BUT, what will it take to step it up? More volunteer work? Anything.... ??
It'd be cool to hear from some of the guys working up there now like Ethan or Matt - what do you think needs to be improved to increase turnouts, publicity, etc?

Guess this topic has been pretty much flogged constantly since the last National was held there, but it always seems to stall, most likely due to lack of finances in the MTB Dept. and the recent advancement of the only type of mountain biking gaining "mainstream" attention, wide-open machine-cut trails. ("even though there's nothing wrong with that!")

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
I'm guessing buried in the mindless bits of over-information on Facebook lies an answer or two.
The only thing Facebook informed me of this Sunday was that Beytagh (sp) won the GES overall. not very relevant to my interests, but huge props to G!

I was thinking more like the infinite mindless bits of over-information on this website. My visitations to this board over the last year have dropped like crazy in both time spent browsing and number of visits overall, due SOLELY to the fact that there is so. much. freaking. bullcrap. being posted in the DH forum.
who CARES about custom RM decals? "waahhh how do I tune this? how do I tune that?" call the freaking manufacturer, or better yet, use the SEARCH function. the worst is bullcrews gutless "sponsor" plugs, but that is something we all know too well about.

I want the old RM and the old Snowshoe back :rant:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
Was just talking about snowshoe today. One of my favorite places to ride... and this is going back to 1995 when I first raced there (xc and ds)... the race where floyd landis took the win in the xc and hill climb. (don't know how the dh went)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Was just talking about snowshoe today. One of my favorite places to ride... and this is going back to 1995 when I first raced there (xc and ds)... the race where floyd landis took the win in the xc and hill climb. (don't know how the dh went)
I was a senior in college in 95 and couldn't afford to leave the dorm, much less the state. I think '98 was my first year there. Gravel berm DS at Silver Creek designed by Jay Dejesus. Awesome DH course on SilverCreek for the time too. XC was rougher than the DH.

http://www.iplayoutside.com/Events/?eid=1998/08/0018c

Pics at the top of the article. Re-live the glory!!!:thumb:

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
1st Herndon
2nd Trevyn
3rd Sam Pensler
4th Ethan Quehl
5th Tim Price
6th Doug F

That's all I know. I thought the track was really fun...wet and wild. I crashed in my race run within sight of the finish line. Then I crashed again trying to run to my bike in the mud. Sub-par performance by myself to say the least.

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I was a senior in college in 95 and couldn't afford to leave the dorm, much less the state. I think '98 was my first year there. Gravel berm DS at Silver Creek designed by Jay Dejesus. Awesome DH course on SilverCreek for the time too. XC was rougher than the DH.
Pics at the top of the article. Re-live the glory!!!:thumb:
Crazy. I haven't seen some of those names in a while.

In 95, everything was @ silvercreek too. I imagine the DH course was in the same spot too. A great xc course... a best example of ski resort race course I'd ever ridden.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Dang, I see Tim's robotic shoulder is holding up ok!:shocked:

Pics and stories from Snowshoe often show-up here:

http://www.chainsmokeracing.net/
How's the wrist Anne? How long til you're back on the bike?

Crazy. I haven't seen some of those names in a while.

In 95, everything was @ silvercreek too. I imagine the DH course was in the same spot too. A great xc course... a best example of ski resort race course I'd ever ridden.
Yeah.
Holly Kuhn
George Willets
Eric "Pinsor" Pinson :rofl:
Jay Humphries
HOMEBOY Beaty:rockout:
Tyler Williams
Mikey V in the itty bitty grom class
Herndon in juniors
Joe Haley on a $300 entry level Trek
Carl Bush
Pete Wier
Dan "beefcake" Kearns
Jim DeChamp
BJ Treglia
Scott McClain

:thumb:

mquehl

Chimp
Mar 20, 2009
:) All I know is I had a great time visiting with Ethan. The wife and I went up to hang with him for the weekend, I actually rode DH and raced- very dismal results but what can you say for first time on a DH bike. Only thing with that much travel I've raced before had a Throttle. Boy did I want one. Any way
Giant S went to Chris, I swear he almost looped out on the step down- great recovery.
Ethan held up the pride for trail bikes everywhere and finished 3rd on my Trance X2 Complete with Triple chain ring- Credit the Kovachi Wheels there.
Night time Old School Grass Slalom went to Tim Price, Ethan 3rd again but in the best costume (only one who understood the idea of fun) Master Shake- again on my 5inch trail bike and no spike tires. HE was drifting pretty good.
Then the DH was a mud fest. Still enjoyed the whole weekend, will be back to ride and race DH soon- loved it. :thumb: