Quantcast

snowshoe rain.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
my heart goes out to all my riding buddies who got rained on at snoeshow again this year. that place must have some kind of a curse on it. it is the reason i stayed away this year. it does not seem to matter what time of year they schedule it. just remember, windrock is just sitting here waiting for you.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Is this Joey? With a name like dhbuilder it has to be.... or should be anyway.

Yeah, it was wet and nothing like July. But I did have a good time riding. I just couldn't get into racing.

by the way, this is Doug. ;)

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
dhbuilder said:
my heart goes out to all my riding buddies who got rained on at snoeshow again this year. that place must have some kind of a curse on it. it is the reason i stayed away this year. it does not seem to matter what time of year they schedule it. just remember, windrock is just sitting here waiting for you.

What are you talking about? Snowshoe was great

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
dhbuilder said:
yeah...ill informed quote bro. Snowshoe was a blast. It dried more and more evey day and was SO FUN. MTNX course was fun to watch, old school slalom was fun to watch....and the DH was SO fun to ride! Too bad you were holed up in the woods brother...you would have loved it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the last laugh will always be on me, when i get to watch all you computer geniuses flounder & flail on my trails.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
bizutch said:
yeah...ill informed quote bro. Snowshoe was a blast. It dried more and more evey day and was SO FUN. MTNX course was fun to watch, old school slalom was fun to watch....and the DH was SO fun to ride! Too bad you were holed up in the woods brother...you would have loved it.

Yup, it was an absolute blast!!! :thumb:

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
dhbuilder said:
the last laugh will always be on me, when i get to watch all you computer geniuses flounder & flail on my trails.
Dang shoo, the master has spoken.

Fear does not exist in this doe-joe!~ :oink:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
sorry Joey...you're speaking with the boys who stomped your trails clean.....save that muscle for the chicken heads you scare off on a weekly basis after 1 run down the mountain.

better throw in some smiley faces so Joey knows I'm kidding... :) :) :p ;)

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
we could have fun ripping on each other all day, but id much rather have you guys over here riding. butch, i always enjoy it when you & jeremy come over. so when can i look foward to seeing you guys? by the way, i think what happened with the new upper trail at sugar stinks. i know how much effort goes into a project like that, and to have it taken away has to feel like a swift kick in the nads.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
we could have fun ripping on each other all day, but id much rather have you guys over here riding. butch, i always enjoy it when you & jeremy come over. so when can i look foward to seeing you guys? by the way, i think what happened with the new upper trail at sugar stinks. i know how much effort goes into a project like that, and to have it taken away has to feel like a swift kick in the nads.
that's exactly what it feels like only with the throbbing going on for many days afterwards. There is still a route around that will make that area fun still...but the part that blew me away was them blocking off a roll down across a 70 foot long boulder that you can roll down on an XC bike...it was just a long section of slickrock.

As for coming over there...good question. I'm still trying to worm my way into going to Mt. Snow this weekend. May have found a ride from the airport. Now I gotta find a way to get off work.....if not the "Rock" might be in the works.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Actually Joey, it would be sweet to have your expertise up at Sugar to clean up that top section and get it ready. It was no where near done, even before Sugar closed it. Sugar is in a position now where they HAVE to remove their head from their azzes because they are gonna host a national.
They even went to Snowshoe just to take notes.
It would be cool to get our whole region to work on Sugar's course so it will be something to be proud of.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Jeremy R said:
Actually Joey, it would be sweet to have your expertise up at Sugar to clean up that top section and get it ready. It was no where near done, even before Sugar closed it. Sugar is in a position now where they HAVE to remove their head from their azzes because they are gonna host a national.
It would be cool to get our whole region to work on Sugar's course so it will be something to be proud of.
True dat homes!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Jeremy R said:
I really liked the upper section of trail. I thought it flowed really well and used some cool features. I think to make it stand up to racing however a few things would need to be modified.

1. The right hand turn at the bottom of "the" drop would have to be straighten through the laurel or a well supported berm would have to be built. I remember the first day we hit it seems to get worse as the day went on. But I haven't seen it since others rode it.

2. I remember there being a ditch at the bottom of the rock face, that might need to be filled in. Plus a berm at the end to direct you back down the road would be SWEET, but not necessary.

3. The dirt slide off the road down into the old trail would need some reworking. A couple of hundred racers practicing that on a weekend could make it STUPID.

I would leave everything through the end of pimples and zits, but I'd do a major re-work or by-pass of Lizard's lane. Its just doesn't flow like a good race course should. I like end of the course though. Maybe some zig-zags across the slop after the kicker to add to the excitement.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
profro said:
I really liked the upper section of trail. I thought it flowed really well and used some cool features. I think to make it stand up to racing however a few things would need to be modified.

1. The right hand turn at the bottom of "the" drop would have to be straighten through the laurel or a well supported berm would have to be built. I remember the first day we hit it seems to get worse as the day went on. But I haven't seen it since others rode it.

Now, that section just needs some fill in work. It is something a crew could do in a couple of hours and it would be ready.

2. I remember there being a ditch at the bottom of the rock face, that might need to be filled in. Plus a berm at the end to direct you back down the road would be SWEET, but not necessary.

I think both of those should be done, I mean we are talking a National here, we might as well do it right.

3. The dirt slide off the road down into the old trail would need some reworking. A couple of hundred racers practicing that on a weekend could make it STUPID.

We could either work on and use that section or go up and around, and drop back into woods at the original point. Whichever one will flow better.

I would leave everything through the end of pimples and zits, but I'd do a major re-work or by-pass of Lizard's lane. Its just doesn't flow like a good race course should. I like end of the course though. Maybe some zig-zags across the slop after the kicker to add to the excitement.
Lizard Lane has no business being in a National DH race at all.
You can hang a right after pimples and zits and go into a totally new woods section that we have to build a fast style trail through. Maybe a cool jump or two and that course would be sweet.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
hey pro fro : a picture is worth is worth a 1000 words. the one you posted showing the guy racing in THE MUD pretty much overrides all the previous ones about me being mis-informed. plus if you say it was muddy, thats all i need to hear. they say that idle hands are the devils workshop, and while im waiting for all my new suspension parts to get here, it is a helluva lot of fun ruffling feathers on this silly forum. oh and by the way, when has ANY non-local windrock rider (with the exception of herndon) ever stomped our trails flat? can you say southernrocks? or better yet, how about dark hollow? that trail even puts a lump in my throat.but any how: it would be outstanding if we wernt so scatterd out here in the south. and we could work togther in larger groups to get more trails built & properly detailed,and we could all ride together more often. talk about massive amounts of fun!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
dhbuilder said:
hey pro fro : a picture is worth is worth a 1000 words. the one you posted showing the guy racing in THE MUD pretty much overrides all the previous ones about me being mis-informed. plus if you say it was muddy, thats all i need to hear. they say that idle hands are the devils workshop, and while im waiting for all my new suspension parts to get here, it is a helluva lot of fun ruffling feathers on this silly forum. oh and by the way, when has ANY non-local windrock rider (with the exception of herndon) ever stomped our trails flat? can you say southernrocks? or better yet, how about dark hollow? that trail even puts a lump in my throat.but any how: it would be outstanding if we wernt so scatterd out here in the south. and we could work togther in larger groups to get more trails built & properly detailed,and we could all ride together more often. talk about massive amounts of fun!!!
Me & Cecil ran everything site unseen there the first time we rode there bro. They're not impossible. And I rode Southern Rocks clean the first time too site unseen. The trails will definitely bite you if you get cocky but they're not level 32 on Super Mario. You do awesome work up there making tech stuff...but you guys have scared off a ton of people thinking the trails are impossible to ride if you're not the best.
Heck, we brought Brian Quillen up and the first trail he rode was Southern Rocks...and it was the first time he'd ever been on a DH bike. He bailed a few times but rode it all. It's all good.
You guys shouldn't try to scare people off like that. :love:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
i gotta get me some of them there smiley faces. i just call em like i see em.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Joey, that guy in the picture is me.

It did dry up pretty good by Sunday, but all the weather had totally bummed me out by Thursday afternoon. I still can't believe we raced mountain cross in that goo.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Jeremy - just curious, why all the haterade on Lizards Lane? I'll agree that the new entrance was pretty ugly, but that can be remedied pretty easily IMO...

As for the Shoe, I practiced the Expert/Pro course on Friday, yup - it was an absolute disaster that day with all the rain...However, it actually cleared up Friday afternoon and stayed that way the rest of the weekend, so even by Saturday (when I raced) I thought the course was fun as hell...And by Sunday, it looked PERFECT...Further proof that god loves the pros :mumble:

And finally, I'll once again plead for another Windrock race (maybe in Sept.?)...I know some of you guys are kinda bummed about racing at Windrock, but I loved it last year...Arguably the best course I've ever ridden, and I can never get enough of the local 4 wheeler riders (i.e. kentucky waterfall mullet, wife beater tank top, no helmet, and cut off jean shorts) ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
jackalope said:
Jeremy - just curious, why all the haterade on Lizards Lane? I'll agree that the new entrance was pretty ugly, but that can be remedied pretty easily IMO...

As for the Shoe, I practiced the Expert/Pro course on Friday, yup - it was an absolute disaster that day with all the rain...However, it actually cleared up Friday afternoon and stayed that way the rest of the weekend, so even by Saturday (when I raced) I thought the course was fun as hell...And by Sunday, it looked PERFECT...Further proof that god loves the pros :mumble:
The exit is still brutal though I think is the issue. I've got an idea for fixing it but won't touch the mountain again until I get confirmation that if I build it...it stays!

Oh and as far as what Sugar thought of Snowshoe, their exact words:
"Now we know what we're getting into." I think they understand what I was doing now.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^

What are you talking about? The exit? Hell, I just kept up my speed before that last creek crossing and cut through the woods before the end...Hey, they didn't have it taped off :blah:

Yeah, I know the exit sux too, but like you, I believe it would be a relatively easy re-route if we (and by 'we', I mean 'you') had permission...

Btw, I really hope was Kim was at Snowshoe...

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
jackalope said:
^^

What are you talking about? The exit? Hell, I just kept up my speed before that last creek crossing and cut through the woods before the end...Hey, they didn't have it taped off :blah:

Yeah, I know the exit sux too, but like you, I believe it would be a relatively easy re-route if we (and by 'we', I mean 'you') had permission...

Btw, I really hope was Kim was Snowshoe...
She was.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
again butch: i wish you luck at sugar. i cant believe the powers that be there ,dont know what an asset(ASSet?) you can be for them.dont they understand the better you make that place the more people will show up? hell, you might even get me off " the rock".

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
jackalope said:
Because it does not belong on a National caliber course, and running that many riders through that section in a weekend would finish it off for good.
Not to mention, the entrance and exit into it is super lame by DH standards.
And there is a perfectly good section of woods to the right of it with no trails on it. Oh yeah, one more thing. After 10 years, I would like to ride something different up there besides the same damn trail.
There ya go - curiousity solved. ;)

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
^^
So are you saying you don't like Lizards Lane? ;)

Seriously, I hear ya - although I haven't ridden it for 10 straight years, so it's still rather novel to me...

As for the proposed new line after Pimples & Zits, that's sounds swell too...But like somebody else has already mentioned, I really hope they don't cut a brand new trail the week before the race...

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
jeremy: ive been reading these forums long before ive recently started to put my two cents worth in. and ive always admired your way of cutting through the B.S. and saying what needs to be said. come ride the rock.