Quantcast

snowshoe this week

stubby

Turbo Monkey
Mar 5, 2005
Davidson, NC AKA DURTY THIRTY
anyone going to ride at snowshoe antyime soon? i dont think my parent s like the idea of me driving up there because im "inexperienced" as a driver.

anyways, ill give gas money if anyone is going up lmk.

thanks,

paul

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
i dont think my parent s like the idea of me driving up there because im "inexperienced" as a driver.

anyways, ill give gas money if anyone is going up lmk.

thanks,

paul
Tell them not to worry. After the drive from the Interstate to the top of Snowshoe, you'll have your ISCCA certifications and upgrade from "inexperienced" to "elite". :weee:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
You going to be there?
Well, things are trying to come together for me. Some guys have offered me a ride up for free. But that leaves entry fee and food to pay. Right now, I'm SO strapped for cash that I don't have many options. Used to entry fee was the least of my worries.

Now donating plasma would leave a guy short on lettuce. :disgust1:

Not sure what I'm going to do.

Stubby, I think I met you out at UNCC this past winter. You were on a Haro I think?? I was leaving the trail on a SX Trail and ran into you on your way in. Anyway, i think a buddy and I are heading up on Wednesday afternoon next week and riding thur - sun. I live in Charlotte.

haromtnbiker

Turbo Monkey
Oct 3, 2004
Cary, NC
so what's the deal with a friday shuttle on race weekend?
Is it organized by snowshoe or you guys just gettin some runs
how much do it costes?
The shuttle (bus with trailer) is run by snowshoe. Pay the $37 dollar lift pass for a day and you can ride the bus for the western side, and the ballhoter lift on the eastern side.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I rode SS this past weekend, I was kinda disappointed. The landings for many of the stunts were very neglected and the lack of drainage on some of the trails was just silly. I mean, I understand it's always muddy there but numerous jumps were ruined by the massive puddles in front of them. I guess after riding SS and Diablo this season, I would say that SS has a much more natural terrain while Diablo is obviously more man made terrain. Maybe its just me...

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I rode SS this past weekend, I was kinda disappointed. The landings for many of the stunts were very neglected and the lack of drainage on some of the trails was just silly. I mean, I understand it's always muddy there but numerous jumps were ruined by the massive puddles in front of them. I guess after riding SS and Diablo this season, I would say that SS has a much more natural terrain while Diablo is obviously more man made terrain. Maybe its just me...
One thing you have to remember about Snowshoe is that they get a ridiculous amount of rain, especially this time of year. I have seen more rain there in a weekend than we get all year here.
But you are right, the best thing about Snowshoe is its natural terrain.
And I bet you will appreciate that more when you get your DH rig up and running.:thumb:
And yes, Diablo does kick ass.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Yea, I know about the insane amounts of rain SS gets, But I felt like that if it get that much rain, the trail designers would put jumps in better locations. It wasn't the mud that bothered me, it was the massive puddles in front of the jumps that kinda turned me off.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yea, I know about the insane amounts of rain SS gets, But I felt like that if it get that much rain, the trail designers would put jumps in better locations. It wasn't the mud that bothered me, it was the massive puddles in front of the jumps that kinda turned me off.
Brad got some serious trail maintenance education last year courtesy of Whistler Gravity Logic and pretty much multiplied his trail building knowledge so you'll start seeing more intelligent designs.

Those guys were adding features people asked for but it's not their fault they weren't trained on how to make things stay dry...prior to being put to task.

And in all fairness to SS, the training wasn't even available to send someone to until last summer. To their credit, they sent Brad to the very first one. And immediately following, they've invested in trail equipment. It's gonna take a long time though.

ulockjustice

Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
it looked unkempt because its a friggin mtn bike trail, not a bmx track down a mtn. make use of that suspension there kiddo

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
no matter how much trailbuilding training they get.
they get not just rain, but long downpours there.
not to mention the amount of traffic those trails have to deal with.
and they don't "request" that riders wait til the trails tack off before riding.(hard to do at a pay to ride d.h. park.)

and "stunt landings" are not much more than land and skid zones.

add all of that up and you can just imagine the maintanence workload it would take to keep things groomed to perfection.
not to mention any and all new trails they'll be putting in.

trust me.
you can expand much farther than your ability to maintain to your standards.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
plus if i'm not mistaken, some of the older runs were put in by others before the present crew came on board.

i remember a couple of those didn't take into account the springs that appear and stick around pumping out water, long after it quits raining.

some of my early trail layouts were put in before i learned that lesson.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
So, you came up in conversation, and I had a question....How far is Windrock from Richmond? And, whats the lodging scenario.....If one were so inclined?

;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
So, you came up in conversation, and I had a question....How far is Windrock from Richmond? And, whats the lodging scenario.....If one were so inclined?

;)
lodging is a piece of cake. tons of cheap hotels right outside the ORV park in Oak Ridge. 10 minutes away.

Look up either Oliver Springs, TN or Oak Ridge, TN. That's windrock.

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
look closely at his avatar. In fairness to matt, riding dominion to alpine all day can spoil a brother.
Butch is right, my opinion on SS should prolly be Null because of the fact I rode it on a hardtail. I'm going back later in the summer after I get a fully, Ill rant again later. But until then, Ill keep my mouth shut about it.

Diablo is just a lil more my style I guess, but that might all change when I move over to a fully.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, where can I crash and ride down there? I just got fvckin laid off, so the Shoe is out, can't afford it.

However, long day with a bunch of you characters could do a person good..... :p

;)

:D

adevault

Chimp
Sep 29, 2004
the west side of ss is wwaaayyy better anyways----ooooohhhhhnaturaaaallll--ridin in that slop may suck sometimes but it makes you better--- welcome to the east coast.....budda says embrace it