Quantcast

Snowshoe Western lift open next weekend

Freak

Aug 15, 2001
Redmond, Washington
Unfortunatly, I will not be there this weekend. I had planned to ride DH on Saturday and race the GNCC on Sunday. Then I busted my leg at the Open so I am out for a few more weeks before I get the cast off.

But, I did talk to Missy Giove at the Open and she will be racing the GNCC at Snowshoe. If your there, you better be cheering for her.
So I assume she'll be racing in the Sunday AM race?

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
It was lower Quick Draw and that bitch drew first. I'll be there riding this weekend with some of my Boston crew. I got a broken right big toe a badly bruised hand and a hairline fracture in my left femur. I got a score to settle with that f***er! All I know is powerline was riding dope. I'll post some pics later. We got some nice pics of MTWHORE,me,JEFF and my boy YO ANDY who might I add owned every trail on that mountain with a Trek Remedy66 with an all mountain qr fork and a dirt lid(Harrisonburg local). Look out for him!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
It was lower Quick Draw and that bitch drew first. I'll be there riding this weekend with some of my Boston crew. I got a broken right big toe a badly bruised hand and a hairline fracture in my left femur. I got a score to settle with that f***er! All I know is powerline was riding dope. I'll post some pics later. We got some BIG AIR pics of me and my boy YO ANDY who might I add owned every trail on that mountain with a Trek Remedy66 with an all mountain qr fork and a dirt lid(Harrisonburg local). Look out for him!
Wurd......

Cool, you can help me dial in my shock! :D

BAXTER

Monkey
Jun 25, 2005
THE BURG but missing BOSTON
It's all personal preferance. Start with what Fox says and go from there. I can tell you what dial does what but only you know how you want your bike to feel grasshopper.:banana: I just like this damn dancing banana.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
[corrected] She raced the Women's class earlier this year. She got 2nd at an earlier round.

Yes, that is a morning class.
I can only imagine that some of those gals were thinking "who is this chic who comes to just one races and kicks our butts with a 2nd place finish" :p

We'll hopefully be able to catch some of the am race and cheer her on :) (The one nice thing about racing Sat is being able to just relax and enjoy the races on Sun)

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Velocity girl- keep your eyes open and you may see your old tomac frame that I bought from you. I rode it for two years and then sold it to one of the bike patrol guys.

Dennis

ZzzzingZing

Chimp
Jun 19, 2007
San Diego, CA
ok, so Sunday pretty much ripped and I'm definitely looking forward to riding the western slope all day on saturday. Thanks for the compliments, Bax. I guess I was having an "on" day. I may even break my own rules and race something besides a 6-pack dh on the 30th.

Catch you guys on Saturday.

PS -- First post on RideMonkey, over and out.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
ok, so Sunday pretty much ripped and I'm definitely looking forward to riding the western slope all day on saturday. Thanks for the compliments, Bax. I guess I was having an "on" day. I may even break my own rules and race something besides a 6-pack dh on the 30th.

Catch you guys on Saturday.

PS -- First post on RideMonkey, over and out.
Wurd! Welcome! AND, killer pic!

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Hmm, perhaps you're correct. It's awfully hard to stay sober till sundown, especially with the lifts closing so early. I'm only one man, and I only have so much will-power. What I thought was sunset at Mass. ended up being the dying embers of a charcoal grill, so my opinion may not be well-informed.

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Weakness...Just found out that my cranks are toast. Plus the fork's not back from Marz yet. Doug's lettin me take his Stab for the weekend, but it looks like I'm in the market for some new cranks. Anybody got any just layin around?

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
this is probably a really stupid question, but are the motorpsycles going to be using/sharing any of the trails that we ride? I know that it is closed... but why? just because of the number of spectators? or because of the cross traffic that may occur? Pedal-Vs.-Motor?

I could see some of the lower trails being commondeered by the GNCC for racing on! :disgust1:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
this is probably a really stupid question, but are the motorpsycles going to be using/sharing any of the trails that we ride? I know that it is closed... but why? just because of the number of spectators? or because of the cross traffic that may occur? Pedal-Vs.-Motor?

I could see some of the lower trails being commondeered by the GNCC for racing on! :disgust1:
as far as i know none of the mountain bike trails will be used. they are using a lot of the fire roads and other stuff on the basin side. If you want to spectate for a while the best place would probably be on powder puff coming into silver creek. Then you could ride the road down to STP road and hit rockgarden back to the chairlift

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
argh! GNCC is a bunch of pirates.

and people wonder why motocross brings in so much money and why mountain biking doesn't.....

see y'all this weekend!

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Dude, seriously. We've been having a drought in this area (bout hour a half west) for several weeks now. Guess which weekend it decides to make up for it on? Mother nature has it out for mountain bikers, I know she does.

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
argh! GNCC is a bunch of pirates.

and people wonder why motocross brings in so much money and why mountain biking doesn't.....

see y'all this weekend!
I'll say it again, bikers are the cheapest people. XC guys are way cheaper than DH'ers, but DH'er are still cheap.

MX racers on the other hand spend big cash. I look like a bum at the races with my full size pickup and 6x12' enclosed trailer. All of these 5 year olds on PW50's are pitting out of mom and dad's toy box camping trailer with air and a shower. They have a refridgerators, stoves, etc to keep them fed. That's on top of the $10/gate and $25/class entry. That said, living in Michigan it is cheaper to race moto. I have at least 5 national level tracks within 2 hours of my house rather than a 10 hour drive to race DH. DH is still so much fun so I haven't dropped it yet like half of my buddies.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Dude, seriously. We've been having a drought in this area (bout hour a half west) for several weeks now. Guess which weekend it decides to make up for it on? Mother nature has it out for mountain bikers, I know she does.
weather report has changed for the better for this weekend. of course this is SS any time there is more than 100 bikes on the mountain something happens

G-spot

Monkey
May 3, 2004
Chester,Va.
Well,Im going to start some S*** up again. I just read that for a Motorcycle race and event it is only $25 and a$10 gate fee=$35, and a DH race is $75-$100 that does not sound right too me--- Motorcycles will tear up the trails more then a mt.bike so you need more people to fix then and operate equipment? Plus all that carbon noxide in the air. So why do we still need to pay more? I know Im stupid -right?

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Well,Im going to start some S*** up again. I just read that for a Motorcycle race and event it is only $25 and a$10 gate fee=$35, and a DH race is $75-$100 that does not sound right too me--- Motorcycles will tear up the trails more then a mt.bike so you need more people to fix then and operate equipment? Plus all that carbon noxide in the air. So why do we still need to pay more? I know Im stupid -right?
The prices I was listing was for a motocross race. GNCC races are more expensive.

MX bikes run on their own trails so no one really needs to "fix" them. Heck, they might even help to bed in a new DH trail faster if they were allowed to run the same trail for a race.

Carbon noxide: you mean carbon dioxide? The lift probably uses just was much. Last time I checked, ski lifts don't run on hamster power. Have you seen the size of the motors that run a lift?

Here are a few reasons for the difference in cost:

DH races require use of a lift (big $$$) that you are getting to ride for more than one day.

MX races get tons of cash from local MX shops since MX riders spend money in their shops rather than buying everything from mail order like bike riders.

DH races don't have good attendance (except for the US Open)

a local MX race will have 350-500 racers all paying $25/class, most will race 2 classes, most will race both Saturday and Sunday and everyone including parents will pay $10 at the gate per day. Most tracks will make $10,000 off the gate alone in a weekend.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD

Trails will get torn up, but the cool thing about Racer Productions (promoters.....same guys that own Racer X Illustrated) is that they come back in after the race, re-grade at lot of the course to knock down the ruts and generally torn up spots as well as re-seed any torn up grassy parts! Take a look at Wisp and their past with GNCC....aside from a few specific trails in the woods, you'd be hard pressed to get the unsuspecting guest to even realize that a dirt bike/quad race took place there!

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I was told that SS is looking at 5000 people being there for the GNCC race. 5000 x $10 = they have alot more pull than we ever will.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
I was told that SS is looking at 5000 people being there for the GNCC race. 5000 x $15.00 = they have alot more pull than we ever will.
Fixed.

BTW = 5000 people x $15.00 = $75,000.00 :eek:

And yet the lift is "expensive" to run....... :think:

So in keeping with G-Spots theme:

OK, so I stirred the pot......I still have an issue with season pass holders having to pay the $15.00?

Found out GNCC is headquartered out of Slatyfork...:think: curious.....

So, would someone enlighten me on this? I'm being serious too. I'm not trying to start a debate or an argument, but I seriously want to know how this works? I sent an email to management (Intrawest), and did not get a response. I sent an email to GNCC, and did not get a response.

So, if management gets frustrated with the DH folks, has it occurred to them to use effective communication? Issues like opening weekend, then the GNCC race and access to the mountain, makes me think they feel as if they can do whatever the heck they want. We're certainly not treated poorly by any of the staff, quite the contrary, we're treated rather well.

I guess my main point is this, not ALL of us are children on bikes with NO concept of business, we have a clue, why does management treat us so poorly as compared to last year? Why is information SO difficult to get? Why are the concerns of the patrons all but ignored? I ask these questions legitimately...I really do......

[edit] Yeah, I know, it's only the internet right?.... :rolleyes: [/edit]

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
I think you answered your own question. $75,000 in one weekend just from the gate fee=they have alot more pull than we ever will. If mountain biking could bring in evan a fraction of that every weekend things would be different.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OK, out of that many, how many are people going there to ride the Western lift this weekend? 20? 50? 100? Or better yet, how many season pass holders? 20?

If the $15.00 bucks includes lift for the whole weekend, then cool, for people without a season pass. If not, then wow, the weekend just got REAL expensive for someone who may travel from Michigan, or Pennsylvania, etc...

Just curious is all I'm saying.....

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Found out GNCC is headquartered out of Slatyfork...:think: curious.....
Just as an FYI, cause off road moto racing is my real passion......

The Grand National Cross Country series is run and promoted by Racer Productions out of Morgantown, WV. If any of you were familiar with the Blackwater 100 (Canaan Valley) of the good old days, that promoter (David Coombs, Sr.) started the whole GNCC series. He's since passed away and his widow (Rita) and his son (David Coombs, Jr.) have since taken the series and made it huge. Racer Productions, Racer X Illustrated, and all their other magazines are a huge boost/proponent in responsible moto racing/riding.

In all seriousness, watch the guys ride on Sunday.....you'll learn so much about the minute body english that goes into working the bike throughout the race. Watch their lines, their commitment, the attack/aggression they ride with. It all applies to dh racing and it's quite inspiring.......careful though, you guys might get the bug and have to run out and buy a moto!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Feeling very historical today, sorry for the usless info I have!!!!

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I guess my main point is this, not ALL of us are children on bikes with NO concept of business, we have a clue, why does management treat us so poorly as compared to last year? Why is information SO difficult to get? Why are the concerns of the patrons all but ignored? I ask these questions legitimately...I really do......
Unfortunately you've stumbled upon the changing face/attitude of management! It's not just happening at Snowshoe, it's likely within the entire Intrawest organization........hell, even the entire industry. The resort climate is a tough one right now, not many factors are in their favor (high gas prices, rising living costs, weather, etc)......budget cuts, program cuts, restructing of current programs all attempting to make the end result a profitable one. Hopefully they come out on the other end after of this all and blow us away with service, offerings, and bang for the buck. Don't hold your breath tho!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well, I do want to state, that $15.00 for a weekend access to an event such as this is actually a good deal if you think about it. BUT, I want the choice to attend.

It's akin to charging some one to drive by the Philadelphia Spectrum because the Rolling Stones are playing, and thats what people who go to the concert have to pay.

ya see, the issue is not cost, because, lets face it, DH is not an inexpensive sport, so if $15.00 is breaking your bank, DH, or MTB for that matter, is not ones sport. BUT, because I do not want to attend the even, if I don't pay $15.00 for the even, precludes me from the mountain? Now, a little bit of research may show that that tactic may be not quite ethical by a few standards.....expressed or implied.....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Unfortunately you've stumbled upon the changing face/attitude of management! It's not just happening at Snowshoe, it's likely within the entire Intrawest organization........hell, even the entire industry. The resort climate is a tough one right now, not many factors are in their favor (high gas prices, rising living costs, weather, etc)......budget cuts, program cuts, restructing of current programs all attempting to make the end result a profitable one. Hopefully they come out on the other end after of this all and blow us away with service, offerings, and bang for the buck. Don't hold your breath tho!
Well, lets get down to the brass tax about it. This is the type of politics and crap people deal with during the week at work. Now, it transfers to a resort. How? Well in this particular instance, based on my knowledge of the situation, and being 41 with a few years under my belt let see.

Last year, Intrawest was a publicly owned company. Now we hear last year, at the end they are, SOLD. Same company, now privately owned. Since this "sale", costs have gone up, services have been cut, and I believe a few people were let go. The lift situation is a great example. People paid a premium for a season pass, and the sales pitch was, "join now and save!" OK, I'm good with that. Now I by a pass, and after the big push for the sales, we get, "The lifts will only be run during race weekends."

Now, because of an event taking up one side of the mountain where many of us like to ride, the go, "OK, well run the Western lift...BUT, we'll charge EVERYONE $15.00 to access the mountain."

Now, let’s take it one step further, NO communication whatsoever to season pass holder, or the GP. This comes of as "Pay it or tough." To say that GNCC is "taking over the mountain" is an invalid excuse, because, if I was a homeowner, they ain't took over nothin'. Now let’s go one more step. I buy a season pass; this pass entitle me to certain rights, expressed an implied, thereby making it a contract...so my pass has nothing to do with GNCC, and yet they force a subrogation of our rights to GNCC.....with no prior written consent.

So, I'm simply asking questions that, to be honest, need to be answered. It's not the $15.00 issue, we already had that issue last year, and even then, the resort bent over backward to do the right thing by everyone....here, there is NO communication whatsoever.

Again, not an argument or rant, but these are legitimate questions I have as a patron. I'm thrilled to see GNCC have an event there, awesome, hell, if I'm not riding, I'll pay the $15.00 to see it, would be cool as hell!:thumb:and actually plan on it anyway; BUT, do not force me too if I don't want to see it....

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
LOL! I know.."suck it up princess!" But if princess keeps sucking it up, she's no longer a princess, but a [insert farm implement innuendo here].

:D

[edit] See you there this weekend...... :p :D [/edit]