Quantcast

Snowshoe Western lift open next weekend

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Well, lets get down to the brass tax about it. This is the type of politics and crap people deal with during the week at work. Now, it transfers to a resort. How? Well in this particular instance, based on my knowledge of the situation, and being 41 with a few years under my belt let see.

Last year, Intrawest was a publicly owned company. Now we hear last year, at the end they are, SOLD. Same company, now privately owned. Since this "sale", costs have gone up, services have been cut, and I believe a few people were let go. The lift situation is a great example. People paid a premium for a season pass, and the sales pitch was, "join now and save!" OK, I'm good with that. Now I by a pass, and after the big push for the sales, we get, "The lifts will only be run during race weekends."

Now, because of an event taking up one side of the mountain where many of us like to ride, the go, "OK, well run the Western lift...BUT, we'll charge EVERYONE $15.00 to access the mountain."

Now, let’s take it one step further, NO communication whatsoever to season pass holder, or the GP. This comes of as "Pay it or tough." To say that GNCC is "taking over the mountain" is an invalid excuse, because, if I was a homeowner, they ain't took over nothin'. Now let’s go one more step. I buy a season pass; this pass entitle me to certain rights, expressed an implied, thereby making it a contract...so my pass has nothing to do with GNCC, and yet they force a subrogation of our rights to GNCC.....with no prior written consent.

So, I'm simply asking questions that, to be honest, need to be answered. It's not the $15.00 issue, we already had that issue last year, and even then, the resort bent over backward to do the right thing by everyone....here, there is NO communication whatsoever.

Again, not an argument or rant, but these are legitimate questions I have as a patron. I'm thrilled to see GNCC have an event there, awesome, hell, if I'm not riding, I'll pay the $15.00 to see it, would be cool as hell!:thumb:and actually plan on it anyway; BUT, do not force me too if I don't want to see it....
Well said, Ralph!!! I don't have the "legal-ese" wording you do, but we are thinking along the same lines here. I couldn't disagree with the $15 fee just to get on the mountain more. Unfortunately, this seems to be the attitude that is prevailing amongst the management.....pay up or leave. I will likely be there to dh on saturday and watch on sunday (or pit for T-Pro!), but I can easily see how someone would balk at this fee. It's bogus, I know, just glad I no longer work there and have to explain this all to people as a responsibility of the job! I'm still miffed by the season pass deal that seemed to go south for a lot of you guys.....don't quite know what else to say!!!

Mar 7, 2007
I contacted both the WV DOT and the WV State police. Snowshoe has applied for a special use permit to close the road. As of this afternoon, they have not been granted the permit. No permit, no closure, no fees. BTW - the State Police officer for the district stated that there will be a HUGE law enforcement presence because of anticipated problems related to the road closure.

Think I've got a bug up my ass about Snowshoe, you're damn right.
The homeowner's at Snowshoe are under attack by the new owners.
They are trying to stick the homeowners with 85% of the operational costs of the mountain - fire, shuttle, landscaping, public safety, etc. etc. in violation of the MOU signed in 1999 to keep costs at 50/50. And now they want my guests to subsidize the operation to the tune of $15 a person!

If they have their way our sewer bills will increase 500% to $55 per month for an efficiency/ 1 bedroom unit.

Why, because Fortress (new owners) is trying to pare operating costs prior to going Public!! Fortress plans to offer an IPO later this year. Let's see, a private equity firm buys a publicly traded company and then takes the private equity firm public. Millions of dollars at the expense of their guests and us homeowners. Don't you love the Wall Street boys. The suck almost as much life out of American business as lawyers.

F -em. But I'm stuck there for now.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Well, here the gazillion dollar question.......why would anyone even consider being a homeowner at a resort? It seems to me, your limited with your scope of usage; you're paying fees for this and fees for that, and holy crap, have you seen the management contract homeowners have to sign at one of these places?

My mother-in-law was seriously shafted at a place in Florida, Gulf side not to far from Miramar.....

Mar 7, 2007
Because for ten years (excluding the incestuous management of Mountain Crest) it's been a great place to own and to play.
Intrawest has done many good things and many not so good things.
Fortress is nothing less than a corporate raider. They bought Intrawest using little cash, loaded Intrawest with debt, laid off employees, cut spending, reduced the quality of the product and now they're going to take the bloated carcass back to the public all the while earning huge management fees on every transaction.

Yea for Fortress, boo for me. I saw this coming and still reinvested the profit from one home into what is looking more and more like the black hole of another.:bonk:

But being who I am I'll fight em with all i've got!!!!! Boo unexpected room of evil, yea beer!

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
Yeah, gets great for me today....I was just laid off. Just called into he office, and then was told, sorry dude, tomorrow is your last day. How is this relevant? The mechanical contractor I work for was just stiffed by an Engineering firm to the tone of 3/4 mill.......:rant: :bonk:

Yeah, big business, where people are a piece of ass to be raped, and integrity is only in movies......:rant:

So, for me, this weekend....Snowshoe is out...can't afford it...:nopity:

And for the record, the firm in question is ITAC......stay FAR away from them...far far away.......

So all you knuckleheads have fun this weekend.....:thumb: Have a beer and a run on me!

mbrp07

Chimp
Jul 27, 2006
It is coming. 10 minutes off of a major interstate. 40 minutes from a great mountian city. Loam-

beachbum

Chimp
Feb 19, 2007
coastal nc
The homeowner's at Snowshoe are under attack by the new owners.
They are trying to stick the homeowners with 85% of the operational costs of the mountain - fire, shuttle, landscaping, public safety, etc. etc. in violation of the MOU signed in 1999 to keep costs at 50/50. And now they want my guests to subsidize the operation to the tune of $15 a person!

If they have their way our sewer bills will increase 500% to $55 per month for an efficiency/ 1 bedroom unit.

Why, because Fortress (new owners) is trying to pare operating costs prior to going Public!! Fortress plans to offer an IPO later this year. Let's see, a private equity firm buys a publicly traded company and then takes the private equity firm public. Millions of dollars at the expense of their guests and us homeowners. Don't you love the Wall Street boys. The suck almost as much life out of American business as lawyers.

well said!

bballboy388

Monkey
Dec 4, 2004
do you guys know if the west lift will be open when the camp is going on too because ill be there sunday to thursday.

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
OH, yeah, the weekend is not a complete loss......The upside is, I'll be at Snowshoe Thursday morning, 10ish....:thumb:

Denjen, have fun, ride hard ride well ride safe.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
OH, yeah, the weekend is not a complete loss......The upside is, I'll be at Snowshoe Thursday morning, 10ish....:thumb:

Denjen, have fun, ride hard ride well ride safe.
you guys should suck it up and do a day trip to SS. only a little over an hour further. have fun either way.

You heading up for a long weekend with the family next weekend?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Where was everybody? Hardly anyone was there yesterday. Had an incredible day riding. Dont think I have ever done as many runs in one day as I did yesterday. Weather and trails were perfect, couldnt have asked for a better day.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Where was everybody? Hardly anyone was there yesterday. Had an incredible day riding. Dont think I have ever done as many runs in one day as I did yesterday. Weather and trails were perfect, couldnt have asked for a better day.
No doubt, that was the most fun day of riding that I have ever had
at Snowshoe. I rode until I could not hold on anymore. The left side of the Western Territory was bone dry and perfect.

And Big Mike, The Greenbrier Resort is about 1:40 or so away from Snowshoe. That place is stupid ridiculous though. I was up there with a convention that I went to just so I could go ride Snowshoe, but that place is the silliest priced joint on earth.
The food alone...:shocked:

Anyway, Snowshoe rules.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
No doubt, that was the most fun day of riding that I have ever had
at Snowshoe. I rode until I could not hold on anymore. The left side of the Western Territory was bone dry and perfect.

And Big Mike, The Greenbrier Resort is about 1:40 or so away from Snowshoe. That place is stupid ridiculous though. I was up there with a convention that I went to just so I could go ride Snowshoe, but that place is the silliest priced joint on earth.

Anyway, Snowshoe rules.

sorry I didnt see you. What were you riding?

mtwhore

Chimp
Jun 20, 2006
Harrisonburg
Glad to hear their were fun times and good weather. I missed being there but I needed a break especially considering race weekend coming up. Now that I mentioned it what are the times? DS & DH

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
Yeah, but when you are not paying :biggrin:

Glad ya'll had fun up there, hope to see you next weekend!

Mr Ridiculous

Margarita my slippers
Apr 21, 2006
Morgantown, WV
Mr Ridiculous+Lower Hare Ball+Borrowed bike+OTB=

[/URL][/IMG]

Today was good, other than that. My hand's pretty swollen too, but it's not broken, just bruised pretty bad. No worries, the doc said I could still race next week.