Quantcast

Snowshoes

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
So, I want to take up snowshoeing this winter, but I'm not sure where to start. I was thinking of also snowshoeing up crap, and skiing down. Anyone have any gear suggestions? Think mid-range stuff...no carbon ti etc crap...

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
If you want to snowshoe up and ski down, I believe only the MSR can accept ski boots (I never tried, but they're supposed to). I have the Denali Ascent and I really like them. They would be perfect for what you want to do.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Dude, if youre a skier, get Alpine touring bindings and some skins. I snowshoe the backcountry with my snowboard on my back, and it's not fun. If you dont know, AT bindings allow the toe to hinge for touring/climbing, and lock down for descending. Even with heavy alpine skis, this will be far more efficient than snowshoeing.

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Hmm...so is snowshoeing with a board any better? I'm open to both options. I've never skiied backcountry before, and skins seem just so...slow.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Trust me, snowshoes are much slower. Im not saying snowshoeing with the board is better than with skis, but you can't skin with a snowboard. Unless of course you get a splitboard, which I'm working on.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
And don't forget - avalanches *kill*........ get a beacon and learn how to use it.

Unless you're just going to cruise around on low-angled stuff. Then I'd recommend a cheapo set of nordic equipment.

-S.S.-

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Yeah, I will definently be investing in avalanche gear and going with experienced guys who will teach me what to look out for. Until then, I'm gonna be skiing on a used twice pair of Salomon 1080s at the ****hole local resort...twin tipped, of course :thumb: