Quantcast

So a guy walks into a bar with 40lbs of liquid mercury...

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
No, really.

More than a dozen people, including four children, are being watched for symptoms of mercury poisoning after they were exposed in the north-central Iowa town of Armstrong.

Emmet County emergency manager Terry Reekers said Tuesday that the mercury exposure happened after a construction worker remodeling a house found a plastic bottle with about 40 pounds of liquid mercury in the basement on Friday.

The worker took the mercury to a bar to show friends. Someone at the bar dropped the bottle and spilled nearly half of the mercury. About 10 to 12 people were exposed to it when the owner tried to clean up the spill with a vacuum cleaner and broom.

Reekers said that after leaving the bar, the worker took the remaining mercury back to the house and hid the bottle in a sandbox where four children under the age of 10 later found it. One of them stuck his fingers into the mercury and put the fingers in his mouth. About 25 pounds of mercury was found in the sandbox.
They use a vacuum to clean it up? And then bury it in a sandbox? Christ.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120725/NEWS/707259926/1707

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Hmmm... I need to get rid of this. Where is the safest place I could put it?

I know!! I'll burry it about 3in deep in a kids sand-box. No one would EVER go digging in there!!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
My facility manager monitors 8 RTUs each with its own zone thermostat switch bulb, this for 60k sq ft built in the late 70s.
Setting a thermostat is some hard work how does he handle the stress of deciding what temp to turn the dial too... Some of the older model Honeywell's aren't very ergonomic either....