Quantcast

So.. Aaron Gwin and the dh/mx crossover..

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
mx obviously helps & gwin is a natural, now can we talk about how tennis has helped him?

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
and to the gwin fans,im sure he will still be up there next year.

Hes still a very nice guy unlike some of the others.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
mx obviously helps & gwin is a natural, now can we talk about how tennis has helped him?
The funny thing is Pro Tennis requires such an intense level of concentration, and reaction times that are almost unrivaled in sport. Playing it would actualy help anyone hone/develop/excersize those two.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
The OP said Gwin was a top level amateur mx racer? Did he ever win mammoth, lorettas, mini-o's, lake Whitney?

Point is...gwins success is natural talent and dedication, not from riding a mx bike or bmx bike or bibles.
Firstly that the top level amateur thing came from an interview with Gwin himself in dirtmag a few years back.

And secondly, only a few people seem to have got that I am NOT questioning whether MX helps in DH, or whether Gwins success is down to him racing MX previously, just interested to hear peoples opinions on the depth of talent in both sports.

Oh well:)

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Wow, after reading this whole post I now believe everyone on RM needs to go buy a Dirt Bike!!!!!:rofl: Anyway you put it, Gwin is fast and glad this year came together for him.....

Enjoy!!!!

Cecil:thumb:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
The funny thing is Pro Tennis requires such an intense level of concentration, and reaction times that are almost unrivaled in sport. Playing it would actualy help anyone hone/develop/excersize those two.
i was only partially being facetious. i've played competitive tennis and it's not an easy sport. the quickness, coordination, concentration and reaction time needed to excel at it definitely puts those who are good at a different athletic level than others.

obviously the awareness of the mental aspect of elite sport has grown tons in the 40 years since its publication, but the book 'the inner game of tennis' can help anyone with the mental aspect of sports in general and was at the forefront of this type of thinking.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
i was only partially being facetious. i've played competitive tennis and it's not an easy sport. the quickness, coordination, concentration and reaction time needed to excel at it definitely puts those who are good at a different athletic level than others.

obviously the awareness of the mental aspect of elite sport has grown tons in the 40 years since its publication, but the book 'the inner game of tennis' can help anyone with the mental aspect of sports in general and was at the forefront of this type of thinking.
I'll check it out. Also wanted to read 'mind gym' for the same reason.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
I'll check it out. Also wanted to read 'mind gym' for the same reason.
i have another book called 'Peak Performance: Mental Training Techniques of the World's Greatest Athletes' which i never got around to reading but have heard good things about. it may be worth checking out as well.