Quantcast

So, About That New Bike Day...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So, I messed around with it a bit at the bike park. If I run it soft enough to get full travel (150psi), it bobs under pedaling load. Any tips?
Remove spacers if there are any, maybe back off high speed compression, or just send it bigger.

All you need to open the can to get at the spacers is a pump and a small screwdriver or pick to remove the ring clip.

More importantly, how does it feel? Dialed suspension isn't simply one that uses all the travel.
How much sag?
Harsh or supple?
Supportive or wallowy?
Are you starting with the recommended settings?
Are you riding rocky steep shit or hucking to flat on smooth trails?

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
so I agree with Westy...remove a spacer and add air pressure, should increase spring rate at sag without increasing bottom out resistance.

regarding bobbing, make sure that your sag corresponds with the anti-squat curve of the bike. My DW-link style bike bobs a lot with too little sag, then stops bobbing closer to ~30%. AS is like 140% at 20% sag, and 110% at 30%. It's counter intuitive but could be a solution.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
So, I messed around with it a bit at the bike park. If I run it soft enough to get full travel (150psi), it bobs under pedaling load. Any tips?
The LC on that bike is very progressive, so you probably have to run it very soft with an air shock to get near full travel, doesn't seem like it was designed for an air shock at all. The AS curve is kind of mid-pack these days, not excessively high and flat like GG the new Spec Enduro, but also not crazy low and at 80% mid-travel. A coil is probably going to move at least as much under power, but should provide a much more consistent ride at the proper sag level with that LC. Their end-stroke curve is the most obvious when looking at their contemporaries, that reduce it to account for air-shock progressiveness. I'm not sure why RM makes such progressive bikes for air-shock applications.