Quantcast

So, About That New Bike Day...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
OK, so the prognosis is fairly grim. Blew out ACL, MCL, PCL, and I have a contusion/fracture on the top of my Fibia. I have to let the Meniscus heal (~6 weeks), and then I am getting a total knee replacement on January 27th. The good news (according to the doc) is that I’ll still be able to charge as a cyclist (but likely my days of getting dh Strava trophies are over).
The worst parts are the timing (will have to pay for this early next year, our deductible will be 10k before insurance kicks in at 50%). Also, I have a México Mt. Bike/surf trip all planned and paid for March 20th, not sure what the hell will happen with that.
He took one look at the results and immediately prescribed 50 Oxy, so I got that going for me....

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Sweet jeebus. PM @narlus re joint replacement. He's had hips, I believe, but two at a comparable age to you assuming my age-dar is accurate.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
That sucks -- and here I was feeling sorry about myself for my lack of biking days this year.

I suspect you're covered but reach out if you need any non-opiate pain meds :pleasantry: -- that shit will literally kill you (when you can't buy it anymore and switch to black tar...)

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
That's not good, but like you said it could be worse.

For your trip, can you transfer it to someone else at a discount to them? Or just go anyways and relax....

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
It’s kind of a complicated trip.
Hotel in Cabo, rental car, air b n b in Todos Santos, surf lessons for kiddo, hotel in Cabo, fly to puerto Vallarta, meet my. Bike guide, and ride/surf with him for 5 days in Mascota and Sayulita, (his choice of hotels and taco joints), fly out of PV. Still planning on going, maybe kiddo will get a shitton of shuttling in!

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Woof, that sucks more than living in Texas. Although if it's a total knee "upgrade", you may surprise yourself by March 20. Oddly, a total knee re-do seems to recover a lot faster than a exploded tibia head...there I go again, bringing optimism and good cheer.

Seriously, get a euro monkey to send you some HGH and get right moar quicker.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Get a second and maybe even third opinion. Seriously.

That's too serious of a diagnosis / prognosis to take one MD's word for it. You are about to spend north of $10k fixing something that is going to affect you for the rest of your life. Make damned sure you are talking to the best Ortho / Sports docs that you can find / afford. Also, make sure you go with the best surgeon and PT-outfit you can find.

The answer to "How many times have you seen this situation, seen this injury, made this diagnosis, done this operation?" is key!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
and send the bill to 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. Be sure to include all the quotes about fixing obamacare and the system.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Get a second and maybe even third opinion. Seriously.

That's too serious of a diagnosis / prognosis to take one MD's word for it. You are about to spend north of $10k fixing something that is going to affect you for the rest of your life. Make damned sure you are talking to the best Ortho / Sports docs that you can find / afford. Also, make sure you go with the best surgeon and PT-outfit you can find.

The answer to "How many times have you seen this situation, seen this injury, made this diagnosis, done this operation?" is key!
My guy is doing 10 of these just the week I have scheduled. He has done hundreds.
Say what you will about JH, but the ortho care is no joke.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My guy is doing 10 of these just the week I have scheduled. He has done hundreds.
Say what you will about JH, but the ortho care is no joke.
I don't think he is questioning the surgeons ability but the diagnosis of needing a replacement. Someone who is proficient in a solution will often have a bias towards said solution.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Aha.
My wife’s sister is also an ortho, she basically said nobody would attempt a reconstruction anymore with this level of damage, the TKR’s have a MUCH better recovery track record for continuing with any athletic pursuits.
I will get a 2cnd opinion from another local hotshot first, though.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Haha, the cheapest house for rent right now here would be about $8000 a month (if there even is one)...I’ll just hobble up and down on my ass if I have to!
When my wife went through ACL reconstructions, I set up the first floor for her to stay 24/7. Having a bathroom on every floor helps.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
That was your 'big one'?

This just reinforces my refusal to ride artificial stunts.
Yup. Small teeter I thought was a ladder drop. Went in blind. My air 888 was under inflated and it compressed heavily as my weight transferred, and it couldn’t rebound, so I flipped over the front after a long nose wheelie.

Yup. Small teeter I thought was a ladder drop. Went in blind. My air 888 was under inflated and it compressed heavily as my weight transferred, and it couldn’t rebound, so I flipped over the front after a long nose wheelie.
Why I (almost) always walk, often several times, before I commit my tired old ass (or just say fuck, no...). I'll still eventually get my comeuppance...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Why I (almost) always walk, often several times, before I commit my tired old ass (or just say fuck, no...). I'll still eventually get my comeuppance...
The trail split after a fire road break. My buddy took the B line and saw it. He called out a ladder to small drop, so I figured it was easy enough to hit Blind. He knew my skills and gave me the green. I was having a blast and feeling like I had been riding strong all day on much bigger/tougher features.

If I had pumped my fork up, then I’d be rolling a lot less crippled these days.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I will say that the ABS hydraulic cone in my fork has saved my a$$ more than once, as in when I have wildly overshooted doubles/TTs or taken some crazy new line that threw me off trail and into the forest, landing on my front wheel. It comes into play a lot on real big hits, but all of that stuff is expected and easy to usually tune/prepare for. It's the unexpected shit where it seems to pay off in spades.