Quantcast

So, About That New Bike Day...

The trail split after a fire road break. My buddy took the B line and saw it. He called out a ladder to small drop, so I figured it was easy enough to hit Blind. He knew my skills and gave me the green. I was having a blast and feeling like I had been riding strong all day on much bigger/tougher features.

If I had pumped my fork up, then I’d be rolling a lot less crippled these days.
Yeah, sometimes I follow in faith, have learned a lot like that. I am willing to die.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Yeah, sometimes I follow in faith, have learned a lot like that. I am willing to die.
Reminds me of a teeter totter incident involving Deyv. He was following me in faith, but way to closely... let just say that the teeter did not tott as expected... :dead:

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Note that the C in ACL and PCL is different than the C in MCL (and LCL). Cruciate vs collateral.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
It was a rental, praise jeebus.
But actually, it was fine.
I’m not picking up the new bike until March or so.
Ugh. My first trip to the Whistler ER was thanks to a rental. I had an early Marz Dirt Jumper bolted on the front of a Brodie (they initially told me I’d be getting a Stinky with a Super T, and my ride at home was a Stinky). On a moderate Schleyer drop the fork snapped both tubes and I face planted hard. Concussion. Might’ve dislocated my shoulder on that one. Just another time I woke up in a hospital.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Ugh. My first trip to the Whistler ER was thanks to a rental. I had an early Marz Dirt Jumper bolted on the front of a Brodie (they initially told me I’d be getting a Stinky with a Super T, and my ride at home was a Stinky). On a moderate Schleyer drop the fork snapped both tubes and I face planted hard. Concussion. Might’ve dislocated my shoulder on that one. Just another time I woke up in a hospital.
I think some of that is flat out negligent and waiting for savvy lawyer to come along (possibly the one that rented) and just rip them a new one. When you go to rent a bike at a park and they don't actually have springs to tune it to your weight, you'll be overpowering the damping if you are heavier and if lighter, it'll be a jackhammer that will bounce all over the place and make you lose control. This is one reason I'm a fan of air-shocks/forks, for setting up for stuff like this. So they basically rented you a fork that hydro-locks on any kind of sudden impact, like any rough terrain which isn't a smooth dirt jump, probably transferring that force to the crown/steerer/stanchion interface, which over time developed a crack and failed.

IMO, if you are renting a park bike you need to put suspension and brakes on it that will work and maintain that shit. No one gives a F about the handlebars, cranks, seatpost, seat, etc., but the goddamn suspension and brakes better work.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I think some of that is flat out negligent and waiting for savvy lawyer to come along (possibly the one that rented) and just rip them a new one. When you go to rent a bike at a park and they don't actually have springs to tune it to your weight, you'll be overpowering the damping if you are heavier and if lighter, it'll be a jackhammer that will bounce all over the place and make you lose control. This is one reason I'm a fan of air-shocks/forks, for setting up for stuff like this. So they basically rented you a fork that hydro-locks on any kind of sudden impact, like any rough terrain which isn't a smooth dirt jump, probably transferring that force to the crown/steerer/stanchion interface, which over time developed a crack and failed.

IMO, if you are renting a park bike you need to put suspension and brakes on it that will work and maintain that shit. No one gives a F about the handlebars, cranks, seatpost, seat, etc., but the goddamn suspension and brakes better work.
Yeah. That fork famously snapped. It was a bad Marz product and my rental bike wasn’t the only one that cracked like that.
Whatever. I survived and my life wasn’t radically altered. I signed a waiver. I knew what I did was risky. I’m alive. I’m not worried about shaking down Whistler’s bike rental for a few ducats. The value of the story is worth it.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I survived and my life wasn’t radically altered. I signed a waiver.
These days I write on the waiver that they have not set the bike up for my weight and that the springs are wrong. I remember demoing skis and they wouldn't set it higher than 8 or something. Sure enough, ski popped off in chute when I was skiing NORMALLY and I skid head-down like 500 feet on a double black. They gave me skis that wouldn't work on the entire mountain, even though I told them what level I was. No where did it say "don't ski all of the mountain" on the waiver or setup. So these days I write their negligence/inability to make the equipment safe on the "waiver". Drives them nuts. "You can't do that!". "I just did".

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
These days I write on the waiver that they have not set the bike up for my weight and that the springs are wrong. I remember demoing skis and they wouldn't set it higher than 8 or something. Sure enough, ski popped off in chute when I was skiing NORMALLY and I skid head-down like 500 feet on a double black. They gave me skis that wouldn't work on the entire mountain, even though I told them what level I was. No where did it say "don't ski all of the mountain" on the waiver or setup. So these days I write their negligence/inability to make the equipment safe on the "waiver". Drives them nuts. "You can't do that!". "I just did".
Legally, I don’t think any waiver can waive negligence regardless of what you write or don’t write on it. I recall something about this in a law class from many years ago.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Legally, I don’t think any waiver can waive negligence regardless of what you write or don’t write on it. I recall something about this in a law class from many years ago.
I'm just adding to the evidence. ;)

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
the first time i took a rental bike for a run was also the last. i was bottoming it out maybe every 50 feet, and this wasn't on difficult terrain. took one run, gave it back.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the first time i took a rental bike for a run was also the last. i was bottoming it out maybe every 50 feet, and this wasn't on difficult terrain. took one run, gave it back.
When I rented a coil sprung bike at Winter Park with the @6thElement s I swear I clipped a pedal while just pedaling along seated on flat ground.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
If he's going to be a triathlete all Monkey's should be aware to not follow or let him follow too closely while riding.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
So it looks like I am getting a Stryker Triathalon model knee replacement.
Titanium.
Let the jokes commence.
I have a friend at Stryker in another division. Want me to see if we can get you some bonus ti polish or aftermarket pig ass-valves or something?