Quantcast

So, About That New Bike Day...

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I'll post pics...it was a ladder to a four- five foot drop. Blind. I sped up to hit it, and my friend yelled STOP, but it was too late...i put on the brakes, but my front wheel went over, and then I did. Grabbed onto a tree mid flight which slowed me down, but still landed just on my right leg from quite a few feet up. I'll post pics asap, it was a very well built feature.
C'est la vie.
What's annoying is that I would have made it just fine if he hadn't of panicked.
(Just because he couldn’t have hit it doesn’t mean that I couldn’t.)

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Well, it might be better than initially thought, but I can't put any weight on it. Nothing broken or dislocated though, and there is very little pain, which is not typical with an acl. Maybe an MRI when I get home...but flying Frontier with crutches is going to SUCK on friday.

Last edited:

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I'll post pics...it was a ladder to a four- five foot drop. Blind. I sped up to hit it, and my friend yelled STOP, but it was too late...i put on the brakes, but my front wheel went over, and then I did. Grabbed onto a tree mid flight which slowed me down, but still landed just on my right leg from quite a few feet up. I'll post pics asap, it was a very well built feature.
C'est la vie.
What's annoying is that I would have made it just fine if he hadn't of panicked.
With friends like that...

Randomshot

Monkey
Mar 12, 2009
Ft. Collins
C'est la vie.
La vie
But really. Hope you have a speedy recovery. Well. As ACLs go.

Katz

Monkey
Jun 8, 2012
Arizona
I'll post pics...it was a ladder to a four- five foot drop. Blind. I sped up to hit it, and my friend yelled STOP, but it was too late...
I used to have a friend like that. He was delusional enough to think he was a good rider (he wasn't, still isn't), and always insisted getting in front of me and others in our circle, only to freak out at minor features and get in our way. Not cool. I don't ride with this individual any more.

Healing vibes....

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Damn son, hope you can have a speedy recovery. I used a knee-scooter in an airport and it was damn nice, but then again you rest your knee on it.

Interested to see the drop. I've done a lot of blind stuff and continue to, but a good buddy broke his neck doing that up in Bellingham this year and was damn lucky to not have any paralysis.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
Damn son, hope you can have a speedy recovery. I used a knee-scooter in an airport and it was damn nice, but then again you rest your knee on it.

Interested to see the drop. I've done a lot of blind stuff and continue to, but a good buddy broke his neck doing that up in Bellingham this year and was damn lucky to not have any paralysis.
I am actually damn thankful I didn’t break my neck or ribs, for real.
I will post when I can, but I need to but out the laptop for image hosting.

sundaydoug

Monkey
Jun 8, 2009
Riding trails blind is one thing, riding man-built features blind is another thing entirely. Bad idea.

Never hurts to stop and look. Sometimes hurts not to.

Healing vibes to the OP

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
I must clarify...the feature was the ONLY man made anything on 20 miles of trail that I rode there...there was no reason to think it wasn’t jut a rollover or something manageable. Completely out of character with everything else in the area.
Someone’s personal huck, just out there on the other trails.
It was simply unfortunate.
I don’t expect the feature to last long on the public property where it sits.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Damn. I blame Texas.

Looks like it'd be fun to ride, but that limestone is some jagged shit.

I remember one rock in Austin covered in this green slime and no matter how badly you wanted to ride it, everything would wash out on it.

Last edited:

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
Sucks about the huck to "oh fuck", and as someone who is just transitioning off of crutches from a bike related knee explosion, I sincerely hope its "just" a bad sprain and not a busted ACL. But if it is, I will offer this decidedly morbid "glass is half full of bourbon" anecdote: I recently had a tibial plateau fracture (TPF) and I ran into a guy at work who noticed my knee brace and informed me he had a TPF a few years ago himself. I was hoping to hear great things about the recovery, but he went on to tell me about how the screws holding things together can back out over time and that his TPF was a lot worse than the 2 ACL injuries he had previously. Point being, at least according to this guy, an ACL tear > TPF

How's that for a happy story? And btw, super sucks your bro called you off of that drop, as it looks like it'd be hard not to make it provided you go off of it with even a modicum of speed. As for Frontier, make sure to get proper shit mixed before stepping onto (or limping onto) the plane, and get a piss jug so you don't even have to get up to discharge all the scotch and soda.

Last edited: