Quantcast

So about that SRAM stuff....

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Well, after 3 days of racing and a couple of longer rides, here are my initial thoughts on the Rival stuff. For starters, I'll say it's been great so far.

Building it up, the stuff went right together, however, it's a bit tricky to get the shifter cable started because it takes a sharp upward bend. Feeding the brake cable in, however, I found to be easier than Shimano. Another note on the cable routing: the shift housing takes a sharp bend when exiting the shifter, though I'm not sure if it will cause any problems, it just made routing along the bar a bit more difficult because of the housing pulling on the electrical tape. The cassette has an interesting cutout on some of the cogs, where it looks like a whole tooth is missing; the splines for the freehub have excess material removed. Everything else went together like standard road attire.

Out on the road, the shifting Rival's(har har :monkeydance: ) Shimano's offerings. The action is definitely more clickity-clackity(a la Campy). The double-tap took very little time to get used to. You move the lever over and you'll hear a click, (at which time a slight bit of cable is realeased, though not enough to initiate a shift) then you can either release to upshift(release cable), or push further to downshift up to 3 gears(pull on the cable). It kind of threw me for a trip because for one downshift you'll hear 2 clicks, unlike Shimano where there is only one. Like I said before, the action of the rear derailleur is on par with Shimano's offerings. Forcing shifts out of corners in the crit, it didn't wimper nor did it didn't skip once(if it actually wimpered I might have been worried :monkey: ).

The front derailleur, however, SRAM does lose a bit(well, I'm cheating, I have Raceface cranks and a 105 chain). Of course it may be an adjustment or equipment usage, but it doesn't shift under power as well as Dura-Ace or Ultegra. Also(I think Inbred pointed it out in another thread) it seems like you need to push the lever quite a ways to initiate an upshift. I remember reading in Cyclingnews or elsewhere that there were no FD trim adjustments to eliminate rubbing. For the small ring, it does have one when for you're in 39x11, but not one for the big ring(though it isn't needed).

The ergonomics of the hoods feel great. The hoods themselves are a bit shorter than Shimano's. I found the shift levers to be best operated by my middle finger. A cool little thing is the shift levers can be pulled back toward the bar independent of the brake lever. I've played with it, and think it will come in handy when sprinting in the drops, when you can put your hand around the lever and the bar, then upshift by a slight twist of the wrist :thumb: .

Speaking of brakes, these stand out as quite powerful. They're very solid, and adding to that I think is the fact that the lever only moves in only one plane(like Campy).

Overall, I'm very happy with this stuff, and time will tell how the longevity is. Fin

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
Maybe I have longish fingers, but don't notice an excessive throw. It takes some getting used to, but I like the shifting pretty well. I agree that the calipers do more stopping than any I have ridden.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
The front shifting is really, really bad. Inconsitencies in lever feel and a lack of trim really drag it down. I had an athlete of mine running it on her bike this season and neither she nor I could come to terms with it.

She is back on the comfortable familiarity of Dura Ace now...

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
<snip>

The front derailleur, however, SRAM does lose a bit(well, I'm cheating, I have Raceface cranks and a 105 chain). Of course it may be an adjustment or equipment usage, but it doesn't shift under power as well as Dura-Ace or Ultegra. Also(I think Inbred pointed it out in another thread) it seems like you need to push the lever quite a ways to initiate an upshift. I remember reading in Cyclingnews or elsewhere that there were no FD trim adjustments to eliminate rubbing. For the small ring, it does have one when for you're in 39x11, but not one for the big ring(though it isn't needed).
I feel like some of this leaves us holding the bag on first Gen. A little from a new offering I hear about.

Some other tidbits: “The left hand shifter offers a trim function for the front derailleur to allow the chain running smoothly in extreme positions.

Force and Rival shifters: Shift position 1 and 2 is for the small chainring. Shift position 3 is for the large chainring. Red shifter: Shift position 1 is for the small chainring. Shift position 2 and 3 is for the large chainring.”

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Force and Rival shifters: Shift position 1 and 2 is for the small chainring. Shift position 3 is for the large chainring. Red shifter: Shift position 1 is for the small chainring. Shift position 2 and 3 is for the large chainring.”
Red shifter?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
bumping down...do a google search. you'll likely find SRAM's .pdf (hosted on another site) that gives specs compared to Force and Rival.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
She is back on the comfortable familiarity of Dura Ace now...
Just putting the two groupsets next to each other makes that obvious... dura-ace is a work of art, the force/rival setups look to me like fairly thrown together alternatives (sram's mountain lineup looks like it's had more effort put into it).

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
SRAM Corp. Recalls Bicycle Brake Caliper Sets Due to Crash Hazard

WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed.
Name of product: SRAM Force Road Brake Caliper Sets

Units: About 5,400 units

Importer: SRAM Corp., of Chicago, Ill.

Hazard: The brake caliper sets could break and detach from the bicycle’s fork or frame. This could cause the rider to lose control and crash.

Incidents/Injuries: None reported.

Description: The recall involves the SRAM Force Road Brake Calipers sets sold as aftermarket components. The brake caliper sets have “SRAM Force” and some have a date or production code embossed on the unit.

In Recall
Date code (Day/Month/Year) 01JUN06 Dates between 01JUN06 and 25DEC06
No date code ------------ All sold between July 2006 through March 2007 ---------------
Production Code 35T61234567 Codes beginning with 35T6 through 51T6

The SRAM brake caliper sets may have also been installed on the following makes and models of bicycles: Specialized (S-Works Tarmac SL, S-Works Roubaix); Trek (Project One Madone models); Fuji (Fuji SL1); Scott USA (Addict R3); Bianchi (Bianchi 928 SL); Kuota (Kuota KOM, Kuota KREDO, Kuota KEBEL); Orbea (Orca, Aqua, Loboular, Opal, Arin, Aqua Dama, Dama Race and Diva); Kestrel (Evoke SL/Force, RT700/Force), Titus (Vuelo, Solera) and Sampson (Diablo).

Sold at: Specialty bicycle retailers nationwide sold individual brake caliper sets from July 2006 through January 2007 for about $270 and bicycles which included these sets through March 2007 for between $3,000 and $7,300.

Manufactured in: Taiwan

Remedy: Consumers should stop using bicycles equipped with these brake caliper sets immediately and contact their bicycle retailer for a free replacement.

Consumer Contact: For additional information, contact SRAM at (800) 346-2928 between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. CT Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s Web site at www.sram.com

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07153.html

auntie bob

Chimp
Jan 28, 2006
good lord these brakes won't stop braking! I mean, they do stop braking, since they're broken.

:monkey:

do they break while braking? Or are they already broken?

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
This was the CPSC recall, which came a couple of months later than the Sram/Bicycle Retailer recalls. I am pretty sure they were all out of Sram's stock by March. It could have been the very beginning though. Good to see the government agencies are on top of things.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I thought it was old news, too, but it does cover brakes sold up through March 2007, and the recall was dated April 10th.
I remember the first being the ti pivot bolts breaking upon installation. This recall doesn't seem to specify how exactly these are breaking.

Well at least I have Rival... :p