Quantcast

So apparently it's cruel to run a dog while riding a bike...

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I took my dog (German Shep) out for a run last night, like I do almost every night. It keeps him from going ballistic in the house at night. On the way home this dude proceeds to scream profanities from his truck window about how I am going to kill my dog by running him while I am on a bicycle. So, of course, I gave him my opinion politely. I just thought it was hilarious this guy was so pissed about running a dog. The whole trip is maybe 3 miles and a majority of the time he is pulling me and he gets all excited when I get the bike out of the garage. I am pretty sure he enjoys it a lot more than just walking.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Aren't his dogs huskies (or a similar breed)?

Those dogs need to be worked, or else they will start destroying stuff.
That's the funny part. My dog gets all crazy if he doesn't get enough exercise and I know some of the guys on here trail ride with their dogs. It was nutty how pissed this guy was at me for no reason other than running with the dog on a bike. Plus, I just usually ride my DH bike and cruise. The dog is usually never going faster than a trot the the whole time.

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
My dog loves going for runs with me. He'll sit on the chairlifts beside me, then run along behind/beside me on the descent. Easiest way to excercise him.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I took my dog (German Shep) out for a run last night, like I do almost every night. It keeps him from going ballistic in the house at night. On the way home this dude proceeds to scream profanities from his truck window about how I am going to kill my dog by running him while I am on a bicycle. So, of course, I gave him my opinion politely. I just thought it was hilarious this guy was so pissed about running a dog. The whole trip is maybe 3 miles and a majority of the time he is pulling me and he gets all excited when I get the bike out of the garage. I am pretty sure he enjoys it a lot more than just walking.
Should have asked him to open his murse to see his ankle biter lap dog...

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
my puppy is only 4 months and already enjoys short rides with me. i'm wary to take her on anything longer than 1.5 miles or so as her growth plates are still so fragile right now but when she's full grown i plan on some epic rides w/ her to include some shuttle runs. screw that douchebag!

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I do the same thing with my dog for the exact same reason. He goes ballistic if he doesn't get worked and loves me being able to keep up with his pace no matter how fast he wants to go. Any one that thinks that is cruel needs to get their head examined.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Interesting - I do the same thing almost on a daily basis with my Shepherd mix. Most of the ride he's pulling me along.
Yup...most of time he is pulling me. I can tell when he gets really tired because he puts his ears all the way back and his tail is super low and he lags big time.

Sometimes I think he just gets lazy because he'll act tired and then as soon as he sees another dog he instantly perks up and starts pulling again.

I started riding my bike with him because I don't have enough time/energy to run with him. I can jog/run on the same route I take him with the bike, but it doesn't seem to work him enough. I walk him to work on obedience, but for exercise it seems pointless for the dog. I will get back from a 3-4 mile walk with him and he is bouncing off the walls again after he rests for 30 minutes.

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
Yea I have had the same thing happen to me a few times.I have a 4 yo Border Collie that loves the bike rides, he will pull me at like 20 mph for over a mile before he slows down , then we ride at like 15mph for another mile then just kinda cruise for like another mile, after like 10 min he could do it all over again too.Some people just have no idea how to take care of working dogs.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Some people just have no idea how to take care of working dogs.
His logic I guess for yelling at me it seems like was that the dog was panting really hard. I thought that was hilarious. I think the most ironic part is that the dog loves to go out and gets excited when I get the bike. He seems to enjoy it more than just walking. He also goes nuts when my roomate gets her skateboard and takes him out.

chance199

Monkey
May 23, 2009
Port Orchard, WA
Yea I have had the same thing happen to me a few times.I have a 4 yo Border Collie that loves the bike rides, he will pull me at like 20 mph for over a mile before he slows down , then we ride at like 15mph for another mile then just kinda cruise for like another mile, after like 10 min he could do it all over again too.Some people just have no idea how to take care of working dogs.
i know!
i have a 2yo Border collie, all he does is run, he pulls me the whole time. ill be tired and done but he'll keep going

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
I have a lazy Alaskan Malamute, that will pull me for a couple miles with no problem. As long as it is below 70 degrees, the colder the more energy. She gets excited to see the harness and can't wait to go play. I am probably even worse for hooking her leash to the waist strap on my pack and letting her pull me up the mountain while climbing at 13,000' to go skiing. Somebody report me for dog abuse already.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
I had a lady tell me she was going to turn me into the Humane Society. My dog was good up to about 20 miles. She went with me on every ride.

trailrider1

Monkey
Jun 2, 2009
my black lab bear, loves going on rides around the niehborhood with me. she dosent need a leash but she runs next to me.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
Got 4 of the GSPs, they live in kennels but when they go hunting (once a week in season) they will sprint through bushes and **** we wouldnt even walk through for mayb 4 hours before getting tired. (and for a GSP, id like to say ours are out of shape)

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
My dog loves going for runs with me. He'll sit on the chairlifts beside me, then run along behind/beside me on the descent. Easiest way to excercise him.
No ****. What resort lets you do this? My pointer mix does great on trail rides but I've been debating bringing him with me to DH because I figured he'd have been stuck running up the mountain under the lift. So is he chill on the lift? Do you just hold the collar and hope for the best or is there some system.

Last edited:

JustMtnB44

Monkey
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I can't believe someone would yell at someone else for exercising their dog. Is that how lazy this country has become? All of my neighbors never exercise their dogs and they just bark frequently since they are bored out of their minds.

funny. i always thought that not exercising my dogs was cruel.
I agree.

No ****. What resort lets you do this? My pointer mix does great on trail rides but I've been debating bringing him with me to DH because I figured he'd have been stuck running up the mountain under the lift. So is he chill on the lift? Do you just hold the collar and hope for the best or is there some system.
Timberline will let you do that no problem. In fact when I was there a few weeks ago there was a couple with XC bikes behind me with a dog that rode the lift up with them and seemed to do just fine. JR the park operator has a dog that will run up the mountain under the lift and then all the way down again on the DH trails several times a day. The dog is really good about it too and knows when to get out of your way, and handles the steeps just fine.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
Just out of curiosity do you put him in a harness when you run him?

gonefirefightin

free wieners
If some a hole stopped me and tried pulling that crap with me he would have gotten a foul mouthed ear full and sent home even more retarded than when he left the house.

what a friggin moron.

The only way you could possibly damage a dog by running is if it was on asphalt for long periods of time.

I run the living snot out of mine and still will hardly tire. but I also need to, they get rented out during the hunting season for good moeny and I expect them to do good work, plus the pooches love it.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
If some a hole stopped me and tried pulling that crap with me he would have gotten a foul mouthed ear full and sent home even more retarded than when he left the house.

what a friggin moron.

The only way you could possibly damage a dog by running is if it was on asphalt for long periods of time.

I run the living snot out of mine and still will hardly tire. but I also need to, they get rented out during the hunting season for good moeny and I expect them to do good work, plus the pooches love it.
:clapping:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Just out of curiosity do you put him in a harness when you run him?
No, I don't have a harness for him, I have just been using his collar. I try not to let him pull me and pedal enough to keep slack in the leash. He is pretty good about keeping pace with me and I just have to correct him when he starts to get distracted with other dogs, cats, birds, etc. I have thought about getting a harness as well as a pack so I can weigh him down a little.

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
I do the same thing with my hyper ass boxer. He needs the exercise. He pulls me around a little loop in the hood out here. he goes as fast as he can. We go 8 blocks, three times. it's great because he knows the turns and just hauls ass. If i didn't get him out for that 10 minutes every other day, i'd feel like such a d!ck. I shouldn't even own a dog if i can't get him out for exercise at least every other day.
It gets sketchy sometimes though. He pulls so fast that i have to ride my back brake a bit to slow us down. Kinda sketch when he sees another dog once in a while because he'll head their direction while we're going pretty damn fast.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My dog has no endurance. I take him running and after two miles he is done, I drop him off at home so I can finish my run. He is more of a sprinter, for 3 minutes he is the fastest thing on 4 legs then it is nap time. He was never a good trail dog but is easy for me to exercise him. Just a few minutes playing in the back yard and he is good.

Last edited:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
checking in to agree with everyone else.
i would have told him to eat a dick.
i took jack (husky/shepherd/mutt) out last weekend all over town he has never been so happy.

Spudzie

Monkey
Dec 13, 2001
Hebron, ohio
I have a siberian husky that pulls me on my bike, an i hear people telling me all the time that either i'm lazy or thats cruel. n She loves it an freaks out when she sees the bike. An as said in a earlier post i never keep her at more then a trot.

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
My dog has no endurance. I take him running and after two miles he is done, I drop him off at home so I can finish my run. He is more of a sprinter, for 3 minutes he is the fastest thing on 4 legs then it is nap time. He was never a good trail dog but is easy for me to exercise him. Just a few minutes playing in the back yard and he is good.
My dog is about the same when it comes to running trails. He will tow me around the neighborhood for a good 30 minutes non stop but as soon as I take him on the trail, he follows for about 5 then finds the nicest shadiest tree to lay down beneath.