Quantcast

So Black and Tan is bad?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
So apparently Ben & Jerry's new Black and Tan ice cream is causing an uproar in Ireland as the name harkens back to the British Army unit that went by Black and Tans.

But isn't a black and tan something that is served all over Ireland?

The ice cream itself is pretty freakin' good.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
well ya know people gotta sit around all day trying to find stuff that offends them so they can bitch about cause otherwise their live would be meaningless and fruitless without the joy of ruining other peoples lives.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
I think it is tasty. I also like a good black and tan.

If people are getting in an uproar over this, they have too much time on their hands...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
DRB said:
So apparently Ben & Jerry's new Black and Tan ice cream is causing an uproar in Ireland as the name harkens back to the British Army unit that went by Black and Tans.

:mad: no one pays attention my B&T rants.

black and tans are an american abomination, a desecration to the good product of Guinness. to add a BRITISH ale to an IRISH stout is unspeakable blasphemy, and no right-thinking, republic-dwelling mick would ever do that act of evil to his fine pint o black.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
narlus said:

black and tans are an american abomination, a desecration to the good product of Guinness. to add a BRITISH ale to an IRISH stout is unspeakable blasphemy, and no right-thinking, republic-dwelling mick would ever do that act of evil to his fine pint o black.
Good God. Who would pick an Irish stout over a British ale?? :confused: :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
DRB said:

The ice cream itself is pretty freakin' good.
Take it to the BnF forum yah frikkin' n00b. :rolleyes:

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
narlus said:

I have seen bunches of drunk Irish lads drinkin' black & tans in my life,
true the where living on our shores, so maybe the lack of sunshine in Ireland clouds there judgement...

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
MunkeeHucker said:
I have seen bunches of drunk Irish lads drinkin' black & tans in my life,
true the where living on our shores, so maybe the lack of sunshine in Ireland clouds there judgement...
i was in a fair number of pubs across the land, and never once saw anyone drinking one. if they even made one, it'd probably be a snakebite (w/ cider) as there was never any Bass on tap.

as for clouding judgement, any drivel emanating from a B&T fan needs to re-assess...

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
The funny thing is, I probably would have never heard of that ice cream if these asshats didn't whine about it. Good job morons.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Echo said:
The funny thing is, I probably would have never heard of that ice cream if these asshats didn't whine about it. Good job morons.
Someone posted a thread about it a couple of weeks ago which prompted me to get some.

Good stuff. :thumb:

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
Echo said:
And before the whining starts, I didn't move it. Shouldn't this actually have been moved to the political forum? :nope:
i was gonna mention the same thing.

btw, the whole famine thing still evokes strong memories...not sure i'd call it 'whining', but that's just me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Interesting, I have enjoyed B&T's in the past, many in so-called Irish pubs (in Mass and out here in Cali), and never knew it meant anything other than dark and light beer in the same glass.

Whatever, Britain and Ireland are pretty close to each other right? It's all foreign to this freedom-loving American. :D

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
DRB said:
In Ireland to call a product the Black and tans is akin to calling the same product the KKK and attempting selling it in Harlem NY.
Black and tans had a rather nasty history in parts of Ireland

The attitude of the Black and Tans is best summed up by one of their divisional commanders:
"If a police barracks is burned or if the barracks already occupied is not suitable, then the best house in the locality is to be commandeered, the occupants thrown into the gutter. Let them die there – the more the merrier.

Should the order ("Hands Up") not be immediately obeyed, shoot and shoot with effect. If the persons approaching (a patrol) carry their hands in their pockets, or are in any way suspicious-looking, shoot them down. You may make mistakes occasionally and innocent persons may be shot, but that cannot be helped, and you are bound to get the right parties some time. The more you shoot, the better I will like you, and I assure you no policeman will get into trouble for shooting any man."

Lt. Col. Smyth, June 1920
See also Wikipedia

Not really surprising they were a tad pissed at B&J's :clue:

beestiboy

Monkey
May 21, 2005
Merded, ca
I saw somewhere recently ( i thought on the Monkey) that the Irish refer to the drink as a half and half but it is with Guiness and Harps. Whatever im only part mick so it doesnt bother me call it what ever you like....damn it now im thirsty.