Quantcast

so called "worlds" ...I hope no one shows up

douglas

Chocolate Milk Doug
May 15, 2002
Shut up and Ride
24 Hour$ of Adrenalin announced the date for the "solo world championships". The venue is Conyers, GA. Which I found ironic, since it seemed that last year when 24HoA was there Stuart was reported to have burned some bridges with the locals. But it gets better. The date? October 7th. The 24 Hours of Moab is October 14th. 24 HoA has put every top solo rider in a tough spot. Many top riders already have Moab on the schedule. Will they change that now in light of the "worlds"?

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Well, I think the course blows and if I were to travel all the way to Moab, there are a dozen 'world-class' trails I would rather ride.

Maybe if they held the event on one of the trails Moab is famous for, it would be cool, but why would you go there only to ride some trail 10 miles south of town that is nothing like the typical Moab trails.

Now, 24 hours of Porcupine Rim, Portal, maybe Amasa Back(though I don't know how you'd make this a loop) or even Slickrock could be fun. Granted I think one time around slickrock is enough for anyone.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Echo said:
Quit trying to make the thread about you, whiner.

:oink: :agree:

As much of an assmunch Sturat is I might consider doing the event. I have a few friends who do it and I might have a free ride and pit support.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
peter6061 said:
Well, I think the course blows and if I were to travel all the way to Moab, there are a dozen 'world-class' trails I would rather ride.

Maybe if they held the event on one of the trails Moab is famous for, it would be cool, but why would you go there only to ride some trail 10 miles south of town that is nothing like the typical Moab trails.

Now, 24 hours of Porcupine Rim, Portal, maybe Amasa Back(though I don't know how you'd make this a loop) or even Slickrock could be fun. Granted I think one time around slickrock is enough for anyone.
24 at moab is what you make of it. There are definitely better trails in Moab, but you also have to consider do you want thousands of people riding on those trails for 24 hours?? Thats a lot of damage .. i would think. Its a great way to wrap up a season .. and there are some technical sections .. as long as you dont wuss out and walk down em :)

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
mcgowanc said:
24 at moab is what you make of it. There are definitely better trails in Moab, but you also have to consider do you want thousands of people riding on those trails for 24 hours?? Thats a lot of damage .. i would think. Its a great way to wrap up a season .. and there are some technical sections .. as long as you dont wuss out and walk down em :)
Rode it back in '99. I don't remember any 'walking' sections, but to each his own. I guess my issue is more that if you advertise a race that's going to be in Moab and play off the fame that the local scene has cultured in mountain biker's heads, the trail needs to deliver or at least resmble what one would expect coming to this mountain bike mecca, and this one does not.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
peter6061 said:
Rode it back in '99. I don't remember any 'walking' sections, but to each his own. I guess my issue is more that if you advertise a race that's going to be in Moab and play off the fame that the local scene has cultured in mountain biker's heads, the trail needs to deliver or at least resmble what one would expect coming to this mountain bike mecca, and this one does not.
I believe the course has changed a bit ... I am not sure what year. There are def a few spots that 80-90% of people walk... ;0
and 1 spot if you find the sweet spot you can ride .. otherwise you drop it (about 8 - 10 feet) or walk it... If you never had to get off your bike - I am prettty sure you have not ridden the current course.
I have not done a ton of different 24 hour races, however Moab has by far the most technical sections of any. Not an easy race to solo -

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
I think you may want to try some of the East coast 24 hour courses before you start thinking Moab is technical. I grew up out west in AZ and love technical riding, but after moving here a few years back, I can honestly say, wet roots and rocks at 2am at Snowshoe are much more of a hazardous techy bit than a short section you can walk if you want.

Can anyone else who has raced Moab in the last few years back up any of this? I remember a kind of 'cliff' area being pretty much the most tech section of the Moab course, but it was still rideable on a hardtail. Sure there were guys there on 'freeride' bikes jumping off stuff, but there were multiple lines to ride down. Sorry if this is getting off track, but I saw many teams fly in specifically for the race and leave right after. And I have to wonder why people would go all the way there to ride a 'POS' trail and not ride the good stuff the town and it's surrounding area is known for.

I know a guy here locally who races the race every year but hasn't ever ridden any of the other trails there. Why would someone do that? And trust me, I've asked him, he's all about the 24 hour race and training, it's not about having fun.

mcgowanc

Monkey
Jan 22, 2004
Boulder CO
peter6061 said:
I think you may want to try some of the East coast 24 hour courses before you start thinking Moab is technical. I grew up out west in AZ and love technical riding, but after moving here a few years back, I can honestly say, wet roots and rocks at 2am at Snowshoe are much more of a hazardous techy bit than a short section you can walk if you want.

Can anyone else who has raced Moab in the last few years back up any of this? I remember a kind of 'cliff' area being pretty much the most tech section of the Moab course, but it was still rideable on a hardtail. Sure there were guys there on 'freeride' bikes jumping off stuff, but there were multiple lines to ride down. Sorry if this is getting off track, but I saw many teams fly in specifically for the race and leave right after. And I have to wonder why people would go all the way there to ride a 'POS' trail and not ride the good stuff the town and it's surrounding area is known for.

I know a guy here locally who races the race every year but hasn't ever ridden any of the other trails there. Why would someone do that? And trust me, I've asked him, he's all about the 24 hour race and training, it's not about having fun.
I lived on the east coast for a couple of years. I totally agree that roots and trees are technical.. but it is also amazing how much softer forest ground is when u fall... :/ I am not saying that the 24 Moab race course is the best riding in moab - I am simply stating that - there are plenty of technical sections .. Not you mention the views are fairly fantastic :)

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I raced the 2004 WSC in whistler and it was AWESOME. Over priced but awesome. I qualified and prepaid in 2005 but had to bail. I knew very early and emailed Stuart and he said we be able to work something out ever though their policy was no refunds even though he posted on MTBR that, that wasn’t their policy. But after 6 months of emails nothing was resolved and I told him to forget.
I’m now sad because I’d like to go to GA (nice cheap trip) and race there BUT I will not because I disagree with the way Stuart handles his business.
There was a thread recently on MTBR about who has the right to claim ‘worlds’ since it’s not a recognized cat by UCI, and I believe the consensus is which ever race Eatough is attending because no matter how you look at it 6 times the tough guys have tried to beat him and everyone has failed.