Quantcast

So can Lance pretty much be assured he's got #7 in the bag?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
There isn't a lot of TdF left to go and the other teams seem to be content to be racing for 2nd place.

Can he keep the Yellow from now to Paris?

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
This is only my 3rd TDF that I have followed and I am far from an avid road biker.

However, unlike years past where at this point at every stage he was putting more and more time on his closest rivals, this year his rivals are looking stronger as the tour goes on. I am not sure they can catch him, or who knows how much Lance can really turn it up if he is challenged, but I think we are far from toasting a 7th at this point.

That being said

Go LANCE!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Pretty much impossible for his rivals to make up the needed time unless Lance has a really bad day or a crash. I've been really impressed with Basso, like Sherwin/Ligget kept saying last night, Le Tour would be a whole lot more interesting if Basso concentrated on the tour instead of going after the Giro too.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I dunno... I think it's between him and basso, and basso has looked very strong the last few stages. He does make me nervous, but I think Discovery is a much stronger team than is CSC (despite Discovery's occasional disappearances). I think Lance will win it, but to say it's in the bag is a little premature, especially with a TT stage late in the race. Fortunately for Lance, it's an individual TT.

Ulrich is a great rider, no doubt about it... but he just can't get it done when it counts, and it seems like T-Mobile is terribly coached/managed. The TDF is about one person, your team "captain". Decide who that guy is before the the tour starts, and focus everything on him. If you want to make a push for the green jersey in the first few stages, fine, whatever... but after the first week or so, you'd better be catering all your team's efforts towards your main guy.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
agreed with Westy. but it's really too soon to call. lots of variables, including the ITT. after #6, i didn't think he'd have a chance for #7. this will be his most impressive win (if he wins), in my opinion.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
jacksonpt said:
I dunno... I think it's between him and basso, and basso has looked very strong the last few stages. He does make me nervous, but I think Discovery is a much stronger team than is CSC (despite Discovery's occasional disappearances). I think Lance will win it, but to say it's in the bag is a little premature, especially with a TT stage late in the race. Fortunately for Lance, it's an individual TT.

Ulrich is a great rider, no doubt about it... but he just can't get it done when it counts, and it seems like T-Mobile is terribly coached/managed. The TDF is about one person, your team "captain". Decide who that guy is before the the tour starts, and focus everything on him. If you want to make a push for the green jersey in the first few stages, fine, whatever... but after the first week or so, you'd better be catering all your team's efforts towards your main guy.
When does it end ya'll? I mean lets put it to rest right now. There are no challengers. NONE. There weren't when the tour started and there are definately not any now.

Its not between Lance and Basso. There isn't sh!t Basso, Ullrich et al can do about Lance winning this tour. I'm pretty sure there wasn't ever an opportunity to do anything about it this year. Its between Lance and fate. Only injury or illness is going to stop Lance from winning. He isn't going to crack to no amount of attacking by any or all of the pretenders/contenders. He has proven this over and over again the last two years. They give their best and its not good enough.

Discovery still only has had one slip up and that was Stage 8. What happened this past Saturday was a quick destruction of ALL the teams not just Discovery. And even that backfired because it isolated the other leaders from their teams, letting Lance dispose of them at his leisure. Also that let George back off and take it easy the rest of the day which inevitably helped him Sunday.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Let's see what happens tomorrow. If he makes it through that with the yellow intact, he should be okay unless he wrecks or something. But you can bet your ass that T-mobile reads the papers, maybe they will learn something. They have to realize that tomorrow is the last chance to get him.

J

JRB

Echo said:
Let's see what happens tomorrow. If he makes it through that with the yellow intact, he should be okay unless he wrecks or something. But you can bet your ass that T-mobile reads the papers, maybe they will learn something. They have to realize that tomorrow is the last chance to get him.
They'll be too busy shoving them in the front of their jerseys.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
When does it end ya'll? I mean lets put it to rest right now. There are no challengers. NONE. There weren't when the tour started and there are definately not any now.

Its not between Lance and Basso. There isn't sh!t Basso, Ullrich et al can do about Lance winning this tour. I'm pretty sure there wasn't ever an opportunity to do anything about it this year. Its between Lance and fate. Only injury or illness is going to stop Lance from winning. He isn't going to crack to no amount of attacking by any or all of the pretenders/contenders. He has proven this over and over again the last two years. They give their best and its not good enough.

Discovery still only has had one slip up and that was Stage 8. What happened this past Saturday was a quick destruction of ALL the teams not just Discovery. And even that backfired because it isolated the other leaders from their teams, letting Lance dispose of them at his leisure. Also that let George back off and take it easy the rest of the day which inevitably helped him Sunday.
Do you kiss a lance poster before you go to bed each night, he is soo dreamy. :love: :love:

:dancing:

Lance pretty much has it in the bag but there are 1000 Kilometers to go and bad things can happen: crashes, saddle sores, meteor showers, explosive diarrhea, etc....

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
Do you kiss a lance poster before you go to bed each night, he is soo dreamy. :love: :love:

:dancing:

Lance pretty much has it in the bag but there are 1000 Kilometers to go and bad things can happen: crashes, saddle sores, meteor showers, explosive diarrhea, etc....
No but I'm pretty sure that ya'll are humping the altar of wishful thinking. :blah:

BUT none of the things that can happen to him involve any of his competitors unless one of them snaps and physically attack him. But then that scary a$$ padrnos would probably beat them down Eastern Bloc style.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
DRB said:

Its not between Lance and Basso. There isn't sh!t Basso, Ullrich et al can do about Lance winning this tour. .

Got to agree. Every time Basso, vink, or Ullrich attack they lose time. Disco/Lance isn't going to be allow an attack that makes a break again.

Lance, despite rumors of his dimise, is still a better cyclist than any other on the tour. Unless he crashes or gets seriously ill, it's all wrapped up. They aren't going to beat him on the mountains, it's almost impossible to pick up serious time in the flats, and they can't beat him in a time trial. Really it's not about the minutes as it is about neutralizing every attack so far, and ther aren't many chances left.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
It's never over 'til it's over. Lance is clearly the strongest and the smartest, showing lots of patience and poise. (It must be killing him that he has not yet won a road stage, no question he wanted to put the smackdown on a couple of those mountain stages.) He has the best prep, the best tactics, and the unquestioned support of the best team in the race. But he has also had an amazing string of good luck over the last 6 - 7 years and anything can happen. He will not be beaten, but he could still lose.

I think T-mobile is being very stupid. As is they've got too many egos working against each other. What's up with Kloden and Ullrich driving the pace to bring back Vino? In six years they have not learned that they need one leader, and that Ullrich might not be the guy. IMO the only one with the explosiveness to get away from Lance is Vino, but the others won't work for him so he never has enough in the tank to stay away. Kloden has potential, but not this year, and Ullrich's style of slowly turning the screws will never work against Lance. I could see this working: Vino is protected, sitting in with his team and saving his strength. Ullrich and Kloden launch constant attacks. Then when (if?) Lance is isolated and on the rivet, Vino goes. If he's fresh he might be able to stay away and get some time. That's the only scenario that I see working in a fair fight against France Livestrong.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
OGRipper said:
It's never over 'til it's over. Lance is clearly the strongest and the smartest, showing lots of patience and poise. (It must be killing him that he has not yet won a road stage, no question he wanted to put the smackdown on a couple of those mountain stages.) He has the best prep, the best tactics, and the unquestioned support of the best team in the race. But he has also had an amazing string of good luck over the last 6 - 7 years and anything can happen. He will not be beaten, but he could still lose.

I think T-mobile is being very stupid. As is they've got too many egos working against each other. What's up with Kloden and Ullrich driving the pace to bring back Vino? In six years they have not learned that they need one leader, and that Ullrich might not be the guy. IMO the only one with the explosiveness to get away from Lance is Vino, but the others won't work for him so he never has enough in the tank to stay away. Kloden has potential, but not this year, and Ullrich's style of slowly turning the screws will never work against Lance. I could see this working: Vino is protected, sitting in with his team and saving his strength. Ullrich and Kloden launch constant attacks. Then when (if?) Lance is isolated and on the rivet, Vino goes. If he's fresh he might be able to stay away and get some time. That's the only scenario that I see working in a fair fight against France Livestrong.

Here is the only plan I see working. If Ullrich, Vino, and Kloden draw straws, the winner sucks wheel all the way in the stage and doesn't take any pulls. Then on the HC climb that person makes a break, after resting all day, they might have a hair of a chance. Riding someone's wheel up a mountain doesn't give you the type of rest it does on the flats, so the advantage would be slight, and Lance is still likely to haul them in.

The other plan would be to attack all stage long, on every remaining stage, and hope for a miracle, a broken chain or something.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
OGRipper said:
I think T-mobile is being very stupid. As is they've got too many egos working against each other. What's up with Kloden and Ullrich driving the pace to bring back Vino?
From the horse's mouth:

T-Mobile directeur sportif Mario Kummer has played down suggestions that the team made a mess of their tactics yesterday. When asked why Klöden and Ullrich chased Vinokourov down when he attacked, he explained what was behind the reasoning. "The situation was that nobody reacted behind so we decided to put on the tempo. That's how this situation came about."

Viewers and commentators were perplexed by the sight of his own team bringing Vino back on both the Port-de-Pailhères and the final climb of Ax 3 Domaines. Kummer justified it by saying he was on an off day. "Vino's performances were excellent before, but he didn't have the legs like, say, at the Galibier, where he had a super day. As the others didn't react, we had to. Alexandre was out to tickle the others a bit, but unfortunately it didn't work."

Today's plan is to be aggressive again. "The riders are feeling good this morning. We'll see how it goes later on on the road. It will be crucial to attack at the right time today, as it's a long and hard stage. If you go too early, you might not have the breath to finish."

Will you wait until the final climb? "We'll see"

F.O.G

Monkey
Feb 8, 2005
Monterey, CA
Is it just me or are the days that the Disco team seems to dissappear the days that Lance shows his individual strength. The next day the team is right there putting the hurt team style on his rivals. I think it's got to be a stratagy to make the others attack when they "think" theres a weakness, but Lance keeps up and holds time.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Reactor said:
Here is the only plan I see working. If Ullrich, Vino, and Kloden draw straws, the winner sucks wheel all the way in the stage and doesn't take any pulls. Then on the HC climb that person makes a break, after resting all day, they might have a hair of a chance. Riding someone's wheel up a mountain doesn't give you the type of rest it does on the flats, so the advantage would be slight, and Lance is still likely to haul them in.
Well yeah except that for six years they have tried to do that with Ullrich as the protected rider and he NEVER has the explosiveness needed to get away from Lance. Vino is only one with an attack strong enough to get away, but he needs to be relatively fresh to actually stay away. Plus after 6 years Lance is not afraid of Ullrich in the mountains whearas Vino has shown the ability to close the deal. I dunno, it's all e-spec but what they've been doing so far isn't enough...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
F.O.G said:
Is it just me or are the days that the Disco team seems to dissappear the days that Lance shows his individual strength. The next day the team is right there putting the hurt team style on his rivals. I think it's got to be a stratagy to make the others attack when they "think" theres a weakness, but Lance keeps up and holds time.
This whole "disappear"/ Weak team thing is getting blown way out of proportion. The only time they disappeared was Stage 8. There was no reason for them to have gotten blown off on that climb and that pace.

As for Saturday and Sunday.... the reality was the attacks that were launched basically killed ALL the teams with only their main guy surviving and sometimes not even those main guys survived.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i had it cut off. it's a loop sided mullet :)

and being as cool as me is a year round thing, don't forget it

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
washingtonpost.com
Rivals Not Sure They Can Catch Armstrong
By JEROME PUGMIRE
The Associated Press
Tuesday, July 19, 2005; 8:43 AM

PAU, France -- Ivan Basso is just 2 minutes, 46 seconds behind Lance Armstrong at the Tour de France. As far as the Italian rider is concerned, the race is over.

"It's not possible to beat him," the second-place Basso said Monday as riders rested in Pau. "I have done all I can."

Armstrong holds a significant advantage over his closest challengers, who are running out of time with the race ending Sunday.

With a time trial on the penultimate day _ Armstrong's specialty _ Basso needs to make huge time gains in the four stages before that for an improbable comeback. Basso's Team CSC director, Bjarne Riis, also seemed resigned to finishing no higher than second.

"He has class, strength and talent," Riis said of Armstrong. "It's not easy to beat someone like that."

Armstrong looked good after Monday's day off, sticking with his closest rivals in the first portion of Tuesday's 16th stage. Ahead of them, a breakaway group of riders lower down in the standings led the way over the big climbs.

The 112.2-mile stage from Mourenx to Pau is the last tough mountain route of the Tour, before riders head through the Massif Central area of France on their way to the finish in Paris.

Armstrong's team director, Johan Bruyneel, was cautious about Tuesday's trek, which features the Col de Marie-Blanque, a category 1 climb, and the Col d'Aubisque, a harder ascent that doesn't have a rating. It snakes up for 10 miles at a 7 percent gradient.

"It's a difficult stage. The last climb is tough, and pretty far from the finish," Bruyneel said. "We need to be careful and keep an eye on the team. Everyone can have a bad day. We need to protect Lance and let the race work for us."

The Discovery Channel riders have had two bad days so far during the Tour. However, Armstrong didn't lose any time to his rivals either time.

"We have a decent lead with a big time trial to come," Bruyneel said. "For the moment, it's enough _ 2:46 on Basso and more on the next guys. Maybe we can take a little more advantage. But it doesn't matter if it's 30 seconds, all that matters is to win."

Jan Ullrich, the 1997 Tour winner who was once seen as Armstrong's biggest threat, trails by 5:58 and Alexandre Vinokourov of Kazakhstan is behind by 9:38.

"I've said it before. I have never considered Vinokourov as a contender to win the Tour," Bruyneel said, adding that he was "an interesting rider" who could be a useful addition to the team once Armstrong steps down.

Bruyneel wanted to recruit Basso after next year's Tour, but missed out on the chance. Team CSC announced Monday that the Italian has signed a new contract, tying him to Riis until 2009.

"It's a shame, he would have been a good leader for our team," Bruyneel said. "He is one of the best guys, especially what he is showing now. He will probably finish on the podium, that says a lot about him."

Armstrong didn't meet with reporters Monday. He warmed up with teammates on a training ride, led by George Hincapie _ winner of his first ever individual Tour stage on Sunday in a thrilling solo ride on this year's toughest mountain stage.

Hincapie has been touted by Armstrong as a possible team leader next season, but Bruyneel said he has yet to decide.

"It all depends what we expect and how high we put our goals," Bruyneel said. "When Lance is gone, do we focus everything on the Tour and be happy with someone who is top five? If that is the case, then George could do it."

Following Tuesday's mountain stage is a flat route from Pau to Revel, which is a potential hazard as sprinters will be jostling for position.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
N8 said:
"It's not possible to beat him," the second-place Basso said Monday as riders rested in Pau. "I have done all I can."
You know it's pretty much over when they start talking like losers. I always hated to see people talking like a race is over before they're standing at the finish line.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The way GC riders gain time on their competitors is through mountain stages and time trials. Today was the last mountain stage, which Lance did not lose any time. And Lance won't be losing time during a time trial.

Barring injury, illness, or a crash, Lance should be riding into Paris in Yellow.

Lance is like rooting for Tiger, considering he has NO weaknesses. I think next year's Tour will be much more interesting. Take Ivan Basso. He is an excellent climber but a weak TTer. How will he fair against Jan Ullrich, a very competent climber but a better TTer?

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Today worked out very well for team Disco. With Evans in the break, the other teams had to do all the work and Disco could just sit in. Good to see Pereiro get a win after working so hard on Sunday only to come in second to Hincapie.

There is plenty of sketchy riding still to be done, but as long as Lance stays upright and doesn't get sick he is looking good for #7.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
sanjuro said:
The way GC riders gain time on their competitors is through mountain stages and time trials. Today was the last mountain stage, which Lance did not lose any time. And Lance won't be losing time during a time trial.

Barring injury, illness, or a crash, Lance should be riding into Paris in Yellow.

Lance is like rooting for Tiger, considering he has NO weaknesses. I think next year's Tour will be much more interesting. Take Ivan Basso. He is an excellent climber but a weak TTer. How will he fair against Jan Ullrich, a very competent climber but a better TTer?
I doubt Ullrich will even race next year. He said himself that a tour win without Lance, isn't really a win.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Sherpa said:
I doubt Ullrich will even race next year. He said himself that a tour win without Lance, isn't really a win.
Another reason why Jan could not win it again. Do you think other NBA teams think winning the championship was worthless because Michael Jordan retired?

Winning the TdF is no mean feat, whether the greatest rider is racing it or not.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Maybe but I dunno, there are so many asterisks next to Ullrich's name that I would be surprised if he really cares. If he doesn't race next year it will be because he knows he probably can't win, not some BS about the quality of the win. I like Jan and what he has brought to the race but I don't think he can beat Basso. He is obviously a great rider but sadly he will go down in history as a rider with a lot of unrealized potential.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
OGRipper said:
I like Jan and what he has brought to the race but I don't think he can beat Basso. He is obviously a great rider but sadly he will go down in history as a rider with a lot of unrealized potential.
I agree, I like Jan as well, but I honestly do not agree with the unrealized potential part. Everybody says that.
I just see a guy who gives 100% every year in the tour, and this year he is just not as strong as Lance or Basso.
Ullrich is big tough bear. Look at his face, he gives it everything out there.
He is a just a big dude who cannot match the accelerations on the steep pitches of the top 2 guys in the world. Nothing wrong with that, and he seems to know his place as well. But I don't buy that whole argument about him not trying hard enough.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
sanjuro said:
Another reason why Jan could not win it again. Do you think other NBA teams think winning the championship was worthless because Michael Jordan retired?

Winning the TdF is no mean feat, whether the greatest rider is racing it or not.
actually i read just yesterday that he might and that even without la a win is a win.

J

JRB

Jan is a tough guy. Kind of like Tyler, but apparently less stupid.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
I think Jan gives it 100% in the tour. BUT I think that he doesn't give it 100% in his preparation for the tour. He does not take care of himself. He was sick practically the first few months of this year. Previous years it is his weight. He needs to devote himself completely to winning the tour. His home in Switzerland is no good for winter. While he is doing whatever it is he does, those in warmer climates are building base miles out the ying yang.

As for him racing next year, of course he will. The only problem he will have will be Basso. Who will have another year of experience and another year of working on his TT under his belt. Which will make him tough to beat. IF they keep him out of the Giro, then I'd take early money on him to win next year. Plus he as the advantage of a sponsor that is similar to Discovery/Postal that doesn't need a lot of early season races from him but a big splash in the Tour.

And the love affair folks have with Vino.... I don't care what anyone says that guy is NOT a tour rider. He is way too undisciplined and attack happy to win a 3 week tour. He has got to be able to control his efforts, which he can't now.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
DRB said:
As for him racing next year, of course he will. The only problem he will have will be Basso. Who will have another year of experience and another year of working on his TT under his belt. Which will make him tough to beat.
Basso and Ullrich better both hope Cadel and Rasmussen don't figure out how to TT...