Quantcast

So close, yet so far...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I put the drop crown on the Monster and she's all bolted up tight on the Scream and ready to go. I just need one thing in order to ride 'er on Saturday-

either a fuggin' 20mm through axle wheel

-or-

'01 QR20+ hub endcaps that will allow me to use my Super T's wheel on my Monster

Any suggestions from the peanut gallery? :confused:

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by jncarpenter
....strangely enough, I have a QR20+ hub that works just fine with my monster T (2002). Is it just a spacing issue? If so maybe some washers......?:)
No. When you take the QR20+ hub apart to install the through axle, you have to install the end caps of the hub- the part that protects the bearings from dirt- on either side of hub and secure them in place with the set screw that pushes an o-ring against the axle. The axle fits easily in the bearings, but I can't get the hub end caps to fit. There is too much friction between them and the axle to push them onto it.

Does that make sense?

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I'd just get some sandpaper and gently sand those end-caps until the axle will fit thru. Sounds like it might be a bit tedious, but so's not riding.;)

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by DßR
I'd just get some sandpaper and gently sand those end-caps until the axle will fit thru. Sounds like it might be a bit tedious, but so's not riding.;)
I'd considered that but the o-ring/set screw is what is causing the problem and I can't very well file that down. I don't want to just take it out because then my hub bearings wouldn't be protected from gore. There is a very slight ridge a little bit beyond the threaded end of the axle that the o-ring gets hung up on every time. I'd even considered using 800gr sandpaper on the axle, but don't want to mess up the tight tolerances between inner bearing race and axle. This just sucks. :mad:

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
grease it? Kinda like a King upper bearing race is near-impossible to get over the steerer tube when it's new; a little grease helps slide the O-ring.....

....you could sand down the O-ring, odd as it sounds, some 220g would probably take off enough rubber....

The basic problem is that you have a hub that had an axle already "permanently" installed, right? Those are the 1999/2000 ones (not '01) and they weren't really "intended" for use with a normal 20mm axle, so some ghetto-rigging is a necessity...

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
Originally posted by DßR
grease it? Kinda like a King upper bearing race is near-impossible to get over the steerer tube when it's new; a little grease helps slide the O-ring.....

....you could sand down the O-ring, odd as it sounds, some 220g would probably take off enough rubber....

The basic problem is that you have a hub that had an axle already "permanently" installed, right? Those are the 1999/2000 ones (not '01) and they weren't really "intended" for use with a normal 20mm axle, so some ghetto-rigging is a necessity...

I just got the skinny from Zokes Tech- I'm screwed. The '02 and later QR20+ hubs will work with a through axle but the '01 and earlier do not and subject gettoriggers to bearing-collapsing ejection risk. Effed again. :angry: