Quantcast

So did anyone GET a Mac Air Book?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
Caitlin thought about it before settling on the midrange Macbook. The lack of performance and storage for the price killed it for her, I think. Nothing to do with the lack of drives.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
i played with one at the apple store. sure is thin. my iPhone is smaller, tho, and does basically all i need to do (except print) on the road... :D

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
My new Lenovo X61 sure is nice - tiny, with great battery life... and the battery can be replaced :monkeydance:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
That might be the stupidest thing I have ever seen in consumer electronics.

I wonder how many have already bought them and have not figured out that little tidbit.
Just keeping in tradition, iPod and iPhone are the same. Very user friendly :busted:

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Just keeping in tradition, iPod and iPhone are the same. Very user friendly :busted:
I have a harder time pegging the iPod for it. Of course it would be nice, but a portable device with a multi-day battery is a far cry from a laptop that's dead after a few hours. A lot of MP3 players require disassembly to swap a battery anyway.

I don't know many people who carry a replacement battery for their MP3 player. I'd say half of the laptop owners I know have a spare laptop battery, though.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I don't know many people who carry a replacement battery for their MP3 player. I'd say half of the laptop owners I know have a spare laptop battery, though.
Flash players are up to a day under ideal conditions, HDD players are less than. There are many flash players that use a single AAA. There are some companies that make DAP with Li-Ion you can swap too. Battery life playing video on any DAP is terrible, so if you like to watch stuff it would be great or lots of music playing for long multi-stop plane flights with HDD DAP (or large flash/SSD). Wifi and bluetooth useage will increase on DAP and decrease battery life.

For cell phones replaceable battery is the norm as it should be if you are away from home and using it all the time - making it all in one only makes the situation worse.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The macbook and macbook pro aren't that much thicker to be honest. You get tons more power for your money, replaceable battery, multitouch in the MBP etc.

I have no idea why anyone would buy an air?

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
Some of my clients travel a LOT. It was worth it for them for the ability to check mail, create/edit/present Powerpoints, and browse the web without the bulk. I think it's a great machine if you are on the road but it will never replace a full blown laptop (MacBook/Pro) or your desktop system.

I had to do a wireless user migration onto a system and it was no cakewalk. C'mon, it wanted 18 hours to transfer 15GB?! I ended up doing it manually via usb drive. They should have put a firewire port on that thing.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Some of my clients travel a LOT. It was worth it for them for the ability to check mail, create/edit/present Powerpoints, and browse the web without the bulk. I think it's a great machine if you are on the road but it will never replace a full blown laptop (MacBook/Pro) or your desktop system.

I had to do a wireless user migration onto a system and it was no cakewalk. C'mon, it wanted 18 hours to transfer 15GB?! I ended up doing it manually via usb drive. They should have put a firewire port on that thing.
I travel a lot. I mean an absurd amount on flights that usually net 10 000+ airmiles. There is no way I would spend that sort of change on a macbook air. My Macbook pro isn't much bigger (in fact same as the air as it's thickest point. I believe there is about a pound or a pound and a half difference in weight? It goes without saying that the MBP is much more powerful as well.

If you want small screen, you can get a mac book for much LESS and still have the same power. It's a pretty silly device to spend that sort of change on if you ask me.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I travel a lot. I mean an absurd amount on flights that usually net 10 000+ airmiles. There is no way I would spend that sort of change on a macbook air. My Macbook pro isn't much bigger (in fact same as the air as it's thickest point. I believe there is about a pound or a pound and a half difference in weight? It goes without saying that the MBP is much more powerful as well.

If you want small screen, you can get a mac book for much LESS and still have the same power. It's a pretty silly device to spend that sort of change on if you ask me.
Personal use paid with personal funds, I agree, that system is a no go in my book. However, these guys have funds up the ying yang and have to flex their laptop pen0s' at meetings.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Personal use paid with personal funds, I agree, that system is a no go in my book. However, these guys have funds up the ying yang and have to flex their laptop pen0s' at meetings.
Business funds on my end as well, not personal and not really personal use. I still wouldn't waste the money on it.

My MBP penis is way bigger than their macbook air penis. :busted:

spocomptonrider

sportin' the CROCS
Nov 30, 2007
spokanistan
I love apple but I think that the Air is kind of a scam. I mean come on, no disc drive 80 gig hard drive max non-replaceable battery. They do have some good ideas that I think will make it to future notebooks (solid state hard drive option...) but I think Apple is just trying to get people to stop buying dvds cds and such and only buy them from iTunes store. I like dvds plus they don't sell bike dvds on iTunes.
edit: I also find it somewhat amusing that my 3 year old powerbook g4 has nearly the same features and is only slightly bigger than the air.

giantrider89

Monkey
Oct 16, 2006
P-town, MN
so you mean to tell me there is no cd drive in the mac book air?
i would think that right there would be a big turn off......let alone the tiny hard drive, permanent battery, lack of usb and other such ports, and lack of cooling fans!!!

yuck :disgust1:

you've all been saying that they are so expensive.....how much are they?