Quantcast

So due to a trail mishap...

...somebody gave me a Bontrager Jones AcX 26 x 2.2 tubeless tire to replace one damaged on the trail. I mounted it with a tube for the balance of the weekend, got a stem tonight, took the tube out and put the new stem and tire on.

Initial observations:

- With a little Ru-Glyde, mounting the tire on the 823 rim was easy without tools.
- Inflating the tire with a floor pump was easy.
- Just because the tire says it can be inflated to 60 PSIG, it doesn't mean it'll stay on the rim at something below that pressure.
- When the tire blows off the rim it makes a truly amazing bang.
- Even having been blown off the rim, the tire remains in good shape.

Not using sealant at this point, soapy water test says no leaks. We'll see what happens.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
I did that once at Snowshoe putting on a michelin mud tire once. Damn near blinded my ex-wife with shrapnel.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Last time I had a tire blow off the rim I was squeezing it to check the pressure. I didn't really hurt but made my fingers numb. With the shock of the loud bang I momentarily thought my fingers got blown off. Took a few minutes of staring at them to believe they were still attached.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Last time I had a tire blow off the rim I was squeezing it to check the pressure. I didn't really hurt but made my fingers numb. With the shock of the loud bang I momentarily thought my fingers got blown off. Took a few minutes of staring at them to believe they were still attached.
:rofl:

A co-worker of mine scared the hell out of one of the shop dogs doing that. The dog (a very big yellow lab) was asleep in the shop when the tire went bang. I was just walking into the work area from a side room and pretty nearly got leveled by him hauling ass out of there.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I have been thinking of trying tubeless for a while, but kept reading about problems with seating, with mounting and removal, with leakage, yada-ya. So far this has been a pretty straightforward.
Been running them for over a year now... stans rims with stans sealant they burped air one time, and that was from a botched landing while running 25psi. It really is the way to go. The ride is far better, and I cant remember the last time I had a puncture. BTW... They seat up fine, but I do have a compressor.

BTW last time I heard a tire blow off a rim at high pressure was a dude in front of me in a crit. We were cornering and his tire went off like a shotgun and sent him to the asphalt like a sack of colorful potatoes, right in front of me. I almost went down too, but got lucky when he slid clear.

Last edited: