Quantcast

So found something out last night

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
So I am sitting here with a couple hundred pieces of 30 06 brass, a pound of powder, and a box of hornady sst's in 150 grain when the guy who is teaching me reloading starts asking what I plan on doing with my 8mm.
So I tell him , use for target and a back up hunting rifle. Well we start looking into reloading dies, which spurs about four hours of different research.
Come to find out the factory loads I was using are only loaded to about 65% capacity for the 8mm due to only using a .323 projectile for both the .318 barrel and the .323 barrel.
More research to find out I do indeed have the bigger barrel, but because it is full length it the powder is done burning before the projectile leaves the barrel, making accuracy good only to about a six inch pattern at 150 yards.
So plan as of now is to take about 5 inches off the barrel length, finish off the two boxes of remmingtons I have and start custom loading a 200 grain round.
Turns out this is a really good weight to run a max load when shortening the barrel to 21 inches and is stated to be accurate to approximately 500 yards under a minute.
Going to be a fun project