Quantcast

So guys......what is "business casual" dress???

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
I'm stuck LOL....

I have a new job that I'm starting Wednesday at a credit union. I've never worked anywhere yet where they required you to dress up. When I went to the interview as I always do for interviews I wear a nicer (like mens fitted with measurements) long sleeve dress shirt (like one you'd wear under a suit jacket), nicer pants (like Prom/homecomming dress pants) and a tie and dress type shoes.

I went in for a second interview for a different position and I was told at my first interview that what I was wearing was fine but that I could dress down (like a short sleeve shirt with a tie and less-dress type pants) so I wore something different the second time around and they said all I needed was a tie at that point. That was just kahiki pants and a button up shirt :)

So my question is........what type of pants pass in this case? I don't want to spend alot of $$$ on clothes but don't want to look like I don't get the "business casual" look is. I'm guessing pants like Dockers would work? Would pants like Dickie's work (NOT the giant baggy one's kids wear but the more normal ones)?

In shirts I'm guessing there's clothes that aren't as "fancy" as I refer to them that you can still put a tie onto? I don't like or want the fitted one like I wore to the interview if I don't have to wear something like that......but just curious as most of you guys probably have had different jobs than I have that required you to dress up a little :)

Just some thoughts/ideas on all this?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Dockers and Dickies are fine.

Hit up an outlet mall and you can get some good quality khakis from various stores for like $20 each.

Personally, I think the short sleeve button down shirt with a tie is a terrible look. :D

fuzzynutz

Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
Chicagoland
Business casual means you don't need to wear a suit, but you need to be presentable. Meaning, I would cross dickies off the list. All you need is collared shirts, any kind, don't need to be custom tailored to you, unless you've got the money. Nice pants, like ironed khakis, slacks, anything really as long as its clean and not denim. Dress shoes, black or brown. You don't need tuxedo shoes, or some fancy wingtips, but just something nice and classy. Then all you need is a belt to match the shoes and you're set. Oh, and in your case a tie. enjoy.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you could get away with dickies work, but i wouldn't recommend it. Dockers are the way to go and they are decently comfortable. I'd also go with a collared button down shirt. Once you work there for a while you'll have a better feel as to what is and is not acceptable. You'll probably even be able to get away with a 2/3 button collared polo style shirt. OH an important thing to remember: brown belt with brown shoes, black belt with black shoes (same applies for socks). Another VERY important thing so you don't look like an ass: brown shoes do NOT go with black pants. should be obvious but you'd be surprised.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
Dockers and Dickies are fine.

Hit up an outlet mall and you can get some good quality khakis from various stores for like $20 each.
I was going to say......my dress up pants (LOL Fancy pants) were like $60 or $70+ I can't remember but I can't imagine having to dress that nice to work at a credit union. I wear that stuff to weddings and what not..........don't want to have an outfit of that stuff for work.

I hear you on the outlet stores. $20-25 each is about my budget. It's not like I have to do much in them but stand and walk around the place. It's not physical work.

I'll see what I can find today and tomorrow (Dickies I don't mind because I can wear them anyways) but the shirts and ties.....can't wear them everyday as clothes to go out shopping in or concerts or dinner.

Shoe wise.......since you have to stand and what not if you get a decent pair of black shoes (say you just have black pants......make it easy) that match that should be fine? I have dress shoes but they are uncomfortable as....well you know. I wore some Etnies? newer looking black shoes and they said nothing. Could I just pick up a better pair of that type of shoe to wear or should I find some sort of Sketchers style of stuff?

I just want to put this point out for the record. My family never made me dress up, so I had 18 years of wearing whatever I had. We didn't do any church things, never went, never went anywhere formal at all. When I was in school I went to a few dances where I had to dress up but it was always foreign to me. I just told the guy what I needed and he did the rest. After school got out the only times I've had to dress up was for a wedding or job interview. SO.....I want to appologize ahead of time for asking some questions that probably the majority of guys have had to do for years and years to my non existant dress code standards.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
I Are Baboon said:
Personally, I think the short sleeve button down shirt with a tie is a terrible look. :D
:stupid:

Can you find a pair of comfortable low-key dress shoes? I find my dress shoes are more comfortable to stand in all day than the other shoes I own.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
jonKranked said:
OH an important thing to remember: brown belt with brown shoes, black belt with black shoes (same applies for socks). Another VERY important thing so you don't look like an ass: brown shoes do NOT go with black pants. should be obvious but you'd be surprised.
LOL I would have guess that.......but I can see how some guys (or people in general) could be challenged by that.

My girlfriend tells me I'm not matching half the time but I have enough common sense to know that some colors don't go together. But that's something I didn't even think about :)

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
I Are Baboon said:
What's wrong with this type of Dickies for business casual? :confused: (not that I own any myself...)

What's funny is I never owned a pair either. My bro grew out of like 3-4 pairs of pants and 2 pairs of shorts so I said hey I'll take them. They were all in excellent shape so I had no reason not to take them.

They are my choice of pants/shorts now because they aren't my typical basketball shorts that I wear everywhere. The pants aren't too bad but when I was thinking of "docker" style pants they came to mind because they don't look that trashy or anything. Plus they're semi-cheap! :)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ok first off....

Be careful, dress down for the banking industry typically means "No Tie." That means you are still wearing a long sleeve dress shirt, a polo type golf shirt MIGHT be acceptable. I would start off with a long sleeve shirt and see what everyone else is wearing. Secondly "Dockers" are often considered too casual, especially Khaki's.

That being said, I have to dress Business Casual. I feel comfortable wearing a polo shirt and or Khaki's on Fridays or if we will be out of the office during the day. For the most part I wear a long sleeve shirt, no tie and slacks.

Now where the majority of my "good finds" have come Costco/Sams/BJ wholesale in recent years. My last trip to Costco I came across nice Perry Ellis slacks for $22. I bought every color they had in my size.

Check out

http://www.menswearhouse.com for some examples and tweak to your liking and budget.

Good luck and welcome to the real world. It rather sucks, but being able to go ride bikes after and play on RM during the day makes it all ok.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Do you have any places that sell name brands at discounts? Around me, we've got TJ Maxx and Burlington Coat Factory. Both places sell name brand stuff at half the price, sometimes less, of what other places sell them for. I do as much shopping at these places as possible. Sometimes you've gotta really look for stuff you like in your size, but it pays off in the long run.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
dunno if you have them out there, but I find a lot of good stuff at Kohl's. In terms of shoes, I have a pair of low cut (4 eye) Doc Martens that I wear most everyday, kinda pricey, but long lasting and damn comfy.

a pretty good rule of thumb regarding dress: if you're questioning whether or not its dressy enough, don't wear it.

Like i said previously, once you have been working there a week or so you will have a much better idea of what is/is not acceptable, so don't stock up on clothes until then.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I think Dickies are fine, as long as they are not too baggy or ghetto-looking.

Business casual is not about looking good, bad, or stylish. It is just looking just professional enough.

Button shirts and golf shirts, tucked in; and slacks of any type is good enough.

I knew a guy who wore white short sleeved button shirts every day at work. He looked horrible, but it was business casual appropriate.

EDIT: If you look like a schmuck, you got it.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ridemonkey said:
Please...no pleats. A basic flat front chino, and a cotton button shirt is the way to go for business casual.

Although pleats aren't as fashionable for saying trying to impress the ladies, they are still fine for business casual. Also don't forget what business casual is for the banking industry is going to be a little more up tight, then say the software industry. Bankers are an uptight bunch.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
jonKranked said:
dunno if you have them out there, but I find a lot of good stuff at Kohl's. In terms of shoes, I have a pair of low cut (4 eye) Doc Martens that I wear most everyday, kinda pricey, but long lasting and damn comfy.

a pretty good rule of thumb regarding dress: if you're questioning whether or not its dressy enough, don't wear it.

Like i said previously, once you have been working there a week or so you will have a much better idea of what is/is not acceptable, so don't stock up on clothes until then.
Well I'm not directly close to some of the bigger outlet style places but we have a few I can find here in town that have this sorta stuff.

From observing the one guy I think he just had on docker'ish looking pants.....a short sleeve shirt and a tie. I think those cotton type shirts are what I was thinking of.....not the polyester (it almost is like silk) one that I currently have.

I hear ya on not spending tons of $$$ on it until a week or so into it. I don't need 10 different things of each but would like maybe the same color pants........but different colored shirts that go well with 2-3 different styles of ties. As long as I work there and fit their "standard" for dress I don't care what I have really.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
one thing i've learned is that you don't need quite as many pants as you do shirts. its easier to wear pants a few times w/o washing than it is shirts. plus pants are more generic, while shirts are more noticable.

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Spunger said:
Well I'm not directly close to some of the bigger outlet style places but we have a few I can find here in town that have this sorta stuff.

From observing the one guy I think he just had on docker'ish looking pants.....a short sleeve shirt and a tie.
damn, short sleeves and a tie is just retarted and not business casual. That is just ugly.

Spunger said:
.but different colored shirts that go well with 2-3 different styles of ties.

Do you have to wear a tie or not?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
jonKranked said:
one thing i've learned is that you don't need quite as many pants as you do shirts. its easier to wear pants a few times w/o washing than it is shirts. plus pants are more generic, while shirts are more noticable.

My work shirts out number my work slacks 2:1 easily. Also I get my shirts laundered (because they are a pain in the arse to iron). However I wash/iron my own pants. Another tip is, there is no such thing as wrinkle free. You need to iron or launder your shiznat.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
MTB_Rob_NC said:
damn, short sleeves and a tie is just retarted and not business casual. That is just ugly.
LOL I know.......It reminds me of that movie "Office Space" He didn't look too bad but I don't know enough to know what looks good/doesn't. I sweat like a mad-man at times so I was thinking a short sleeve would be better but........I'll re-consider it if it looks too funny :)

MTB_Rob_NC said:
Yeah it sucks :( For one I have to find a site to show me how to tie the damm things but that is how they want the men to dress (all like....2 or 3 of them). The women all were wearing fancy suit type outfits and during my interview she told me "the men have it easier in the dress department than we do" but when do men not have it easier?

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
MTB_Rob_NC said:

My work shirts out number my work slacks 2:1 easily. Also I get my shirts laundered (because they are a pain in the arse to iron). However I wash/iron my own pants. Another tip is, there is no such thing as wrinkle free. You need to iron or launder your shiznat.
By "Launder" you mean dry clean?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
MTB_Rob_NC said:

i'm about 3:1 on shirts to pants. :rofl:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Spunger said:
Yeah it sucks :( For one I have to find a site to show me how to tie the damm things but that is how they want the men to dress (all like....2 or 3 of them).
Ok not a problem, ties are actually not that big of a deal, and honestly it just means you can have less shirts now, because you just kinda rotate the shirt/tie/pant thing more often if that makes sense? You can wear your white shirt with the blue tie on Monday, then again on Wed with a different tie. Got it?

I reiterrate you CANNOT wear a tie with a short sleeve shirt

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
My place is business casual. Basically Khakis, a button up shirt with a collar, and some nice shoes will get you by, tie is usually optional. I typically buy the types of shirts that are made to wear untucked (i.e. straight cut at the bottom. That was I can get away with having my shirt hanging out. And I wear some shoes that are like half tennis shoes and half dress shoes. I'm pushing the envelope of business casual.

Oh and as above... with my work clothes, my shirts out number my pants about 5:1... not a week goes by where at least 1 pair of pants doesn't gets a 2nd rotation.

Spunger

Feb 19, 2003
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Ok not a problem, ties are actually not that big of a deal, and honestly it just means you can have less shirts now, because you just kinda rotate the shirt/tie/pant thing more often if that makes sense? You can wear your white shirt with the blue tie on Monday, then again on Wed with a different tie. Got it?

I reiterrate you CANNOT wear a tie with a short sleeve shirt
Got it :) I figured you can rotate shirts/ties so you don't need as many of each. I get the pants deal too, 2-3 pairs and that should be plenty.

I should get a picture of this kid if I can. I know that short sleeve dress shirts exsisted but I never saw anyone wear them. The 2 times I've had to go into there he was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I don't think besides the "golf" style shirt I have I have anything short sleeve.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
MTB_Rob_NC said:

No doubt.
Leave that for the fat TV detectives.
That just screams, "I am trying to dress up, but I really suck at it."

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Spunger said:
By "Launder" you mean dry clean?
Yes and no..

You take them to a "Dry Cleaner" but you get them laundered. Which means they wash and press them (the amount of starch to your liking, I get "light starch"). "Dry Cleaning" is much more expensive, and what you would do to like a silk/linen other fancy fabrics.

Plan to pay $1.25-$2 per shirt for "laudered."

If that is out of your budget you better get yourself an ironing board, good iron and a can of starch and learn how to do it on some shirts you dont like, because you are bound to mess them up.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
MTB_Rob_NC said:
Although pleats aren't as fashionable for saying trying to impress the ladies, they are still fine for business casual. Also don't forget what business casual is for the banking industry is going to be a little more up tight, then say the software industry. Bankers are an uptight bunch.
Didn't say pleats aren't appropriate, it's just a somewhat dated look. They're no more dressy than a flat front, just not that current (or flattering).

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
Why is it such a big deal to dress professionally if you wish to be taken seriously as a professional? My employer is a business casual shop with emphasis on the "casual", but I dress in a suit/shirt/tie every day...even on all but one of the "Jeans Fridays". Why would someone wear a suit to work when it is not mandatory? Regardless of the dress code, wherever I've worked, the most successful 10% of the employees were(with a scant few exceptions) the ones who dressed the most professionally day in and day out. I guess given my druthers, ceteris parabis, I would just as soon identify myself with them. Anyhow, as others may attest, every girl crazy 'bout a sharp-dressed man whether it be at work or afterwards over drinks at happy hour.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
golgiaparatus said:
That was I can get away with having my shirt hanging out.
Just FYI, shirt hanging out is generally not considered "business casual" especially if they're leaning towards the more formal side of "casual" (i.e. ties). No matter what the cut of your shirt is.

(that's not directed towards you, golgi, I'm sure you know what's appropriate for your office)

I'm not sure what the big deal about ironing is. I wash my own shirts and make sure to be quick about pulling them out of the drier, and hang them immediately. That eliminates most ironing - they rarely have a crease or a wrinkle. But I've ironed plenty of shirts and slacks and have never damaged anything. It's a hot surface. If you leave it on cloth too long, it will burn. Thus, err on the side of not leaving it on long enough and go back to hit it again until you know how long you need to leave it there for.

BTW, what's the deal with starch? I've never starched my clothes, what's to gain? It makes the fabric stiffer, right? Just to resist wrinkling?

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Ridemonkey said:
Didn't say pleats aren't appropriate, it's just a somewhat dated look. They're no more dressy than a flat front, just not that current (or flattering).

Didnt you see him mention short sleeve shirt and tie? I am thinking pleats/flat front conversation is the second day of class! :rofl:

Seriously though, lately I have been finding really nice quality pants for a lot less cash and they still have the little pleats by the pockets. I mean I am not on the cutting edge of fashion, but they arent ...

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
binary visions said:
I'm not sure what the big deal about ironing is. I wash my own shirts and make sure to be quick about pulling them out of the drier, and hang them immediately. That eliminates most ironing - they rarely have a crease or a wrinkle. But I've ironed plenty of shirts and slacks and have never damaged anything. It's a hot surface. If you leave it on cloth too long, it will burn. Thus, err on the side of not leaving it on long enough and go back to hit it again until you know how long you need to leave it there for.
I dunno, being in a town that is the second largest banking center other then NYC, you definitly notice the dudes that think you can't tell the difference between a shirt that has actually been laundered/ironed or just hung out to dry. I am not saying its a huge deal, but I am not the only one I have ever heard say... "Hey if you actually stand closer to the iron those wrinkles come out" (YES thats a joke).

binary visions said:
BTW, what's the deal with starch? I've never starched my clothes, what's to gain? It makes the fabric stiffer, right? Just to resist wrinkling?
I dunno exactly, just kinda makes the shirt look nicer longer.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
binary visions said:
I hate starch, and I believe it is for either the ultra-slick look or for sweat bastards.

I have been wearing shirts with that resist wrinkling.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
I have my shirts medium starched at the dry cleaners because it makes them look nicer and fresher for a greater percentage of the workday, especially if the shirt I'm wearing is not a button-down. Too much starch is a little uncomfortable and too little shows minimal lasting effect. Nothing quite like a crisp shirt to so spiff up a workplace that already has "sloppy" and "slob" covered.

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
binary visions said:
Just FYI, shirt hanging out is generally not considered "business casual" especially if they're leaning towards the more formal side of "casual" (i.e. ties). No matter what the cut of your shirt is.

(that's not directed towards you, golgi, I'm sure you know what's appropriate for your office)

Well, (A) I am in the art department... so I get away with more than say the sales department can... they all wear ties and tucked in sirtys... and (B) I run the art department, so that gives me an extended amount of freedom.

Still I push the envelope because I like to be comfortable AND I like to go home and not have to change in or out or 'work' clothes.

Starch: I know it makes the collars and cuffs of your shirt stand out against the weight of a jacket better. Looks snazzy. I have ultra dress clothes that are starched. Makes me feel like I am wearing cardboard, plus its hard to roll up the sleeves if you get hot. I dont likey.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
When I go to a bank, I expect to see slacks, shirt, and tie. You're handling my money - you should look professional. Suck it up and dress up. It feels good to wear nice clothes to work. Even though I don't have to wear a tie to work I still do and I feel more professional because of it (even when I am posting on mesage boards instead of working).

Besides - it is a common notion that your clothes project a lot about you to your superiors and coworkers. Don't you want to project professionalism at work?