Quantcast

so, how bad is the front country on weekends?

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
I'm thinking about coming to the firestone race with 3-4 guys from the 909, and while I'm in the area try to hit up tunnel/coldsprings. It looks like that's only really doable on sunday for us however (unless we skip race practice which would be silly).

I know the situation up there is a bit tense, so is it a mistake to try and ride that weekend? if not, is there anybody doing the firestone dh and not the xc who wants to show us around and get in a couple shuttle runs?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
It's not bad. I shuttled Tunnel on a Sun. twice and saw only a handful of people mid-day. I hear Cold Springs is crowded, though.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Just wear a cowbell and stop for the uppity hikers...Kill 'em with kindness. Do not let them stop you from having fun, then they win!

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
Lower CS is particularly bad. When you drop down off the fire road (whether you take the illustrious WC section or the fast straightaway) make a left when you come to a fork and you'll go down the less crowded and IMO more fun way. San Ysidro is probably worse I would say since there's more possibility of encountering a horse and it can be a bit higher speed and tighter in spots.

Chances are I might be working enough of the weekend I won't be able to devote a whole day to race, but I would be more than willing to try and squeeze in a shuttle.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
yeah, i'm gonna need a guide or a good map. is the trail system unusually complicated, or is it one of those "park at the top, ride to the bottom" sorts of deals?

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
It's pretty much park at the top, ride down, but you could get confused which way to go in a few places.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tunnel Trail
Here's a map for where tunnel is (look for the boulders parrallel to the road, at the trailhead). In the interactive map, you can see the boulders to the right of where I drew the blue line.

Interactive Map:
http://www.google.com/local?f=q&hl=en&q=Santa+Barbara,+CA&t=h&ll=34.495491,-119.698523&spn=0.00225,0.005407
Here is the trail (i'm not sure why the blue line got so blurry):

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cold Springs
Interactive Map:Trailhead: http://www.google.com/local?f=q&hl=en&q=Santa+Barbara,+CA&t=h&ll=34.488625,-119.670553&spn=0.002118,0.005407

The trail (I couldn't find the bottom section of trail where it comes out):

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
Tunnel ends above the mission, so theres is about a mile or 2 or road. It's all downhill.

Cold Springs ends in Montecito on a narrow asphault road.

I am bad with street names though. Maybe someone can give you a google local link to the end of the trails - your car.

bomberboy11

Monkey
Jul 15, 2005
At a computer...duh
That isn't anywhere near where Cold Springs is...

Skatetokil, I wrote up some detailed directions for San Ysidro and Cold Springs a few weeks ago, so PM me your email address and I'll send them to you along with a quick one for Tunnel as well.