Quantcast

So.. How do I get a bike to New Zealand?

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
So for you guys that don't pay attention, I'm leaving to spend 4 months in New Zealand in 2 weeks. At first I was planning on just buying a beater bike when I get down there, but I think if I could keep the price down checking a bike with the airline it would be worth it to have one of my own bikes down there.

Does anyone have any experience flying long distance with a bike? I'm thinking I can fit almost everything I need in my pack and carry that on, then pack my bike in a bike box and pack everything else around my bike.

I haven't decided what bike I'm taking either. It'll either be my road bike or my hardtail.

I'll be flying US Airways CLT to LAX then Qantas Airlines LAX to ALK.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't know what hardtail you have, but it would probably be more useful there...because if you really wanted, you could buy some slicks and have a dual purpose ride. You could probably break it down into a checked duffel and a carry on. Either that, or just box it up and ship it. Maybe box it up and have your parents send it after you get there.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Fedex. I say it every time someone fly's with a bike. DO NOT entrust it to an airline. The argument will be made that Fedex/UPS loaders are just as bad, to which I say 1. Bullsh*t, and 2. You'll have much better luck getting paid for anything in the event it gets damaged from a shipper vs. an airline, especially since your changing airlines mid-flight. Qantas might treat you better but a US carrier is going to declare bankruptcy just to avoid paying you.

Last edited:

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
It's my slalom bike, so its basically a cross between a dirt jumper and a trail bike. And I have small block 8s on it so that's probably close enough to slicks for me.

And I thought about shipping it, but I think it's more expensive, especially going to the south pacific. Plus I like the idea of being able to ride my bike away from the airport.

SloMoJo

Monkey
Dec 17, 2002
New England
You'll figure it out.

It's kinda like asking ...
"I just won the lottery ..what should I buy first."

Just get over there and post up how much our feeble life's back here suck.
Thanks ahead of time. ;)

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
International flights avoiding US carriers generally aren't too expensive with a bike. Your flight within the US is the problem.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
If it's a dual suspension bike you can break it down and fit everything in a couple large suitcases that are within the airline guidelines. Most you'd pay would be the fee for an extra bag if you need it. This is what I did for a trip to the Alps last year and it was pretty smooth. You just need to make sure you have access to the tools you'll need to get it back together.

Raingauge

Monkey
Apr 3, 2008
Canadia
I lived and worked in Perth, Australia for a few months and took my DH bike with me in a Dakine suitcase. On the way down I checked it with the airline and it wasn't a problem. On international flights from Canada bikes are free. I had a ton of sh!t with me because the kids and now ex-wife came along for the trip.

For the way home we sent everything nonessential as unaccompanied baggage. We dropped it off at the airport a few days before we left and picked it up at customs here in Canada a few days after we got home. It was worth the hassle of not having to cart it through the airports and was only slightly more money than paying extra baggage fees.

Going to Aus we had $500 bucks in excess baggage and coming home the unaccompanied baggage fee was around $700. I could have cared less because the company was picking up the entire tab for the trip. I only rode my bike a few times but it was worth it.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
If you have a trail bike fully - bring it. Most of the trails in NZ deserve some rear end action to get best from them.

I've had good experiences boxing the bike and pre-clearing/paying before I rock up to check in. Its when you get there over limit that the butt hurt starts.

On reading this thread back to myself I've realised its full of inuendo but this is not intentional. Must do some self analysis. :D

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
If you have a trail bike fully - bring it. Most of the trails in NZ deserve some rear end action to get best from them.

I've had good experiences boxing the bike and pre-clearing/paying before I rock up to check in. Its when you get there over limit that the butt hurt starts.

On reading this thread back to myself I've realised its full of inuendo but this is not intentional. Must do some self analysis. :D
hehehe "rear end action" :weee:

My only fully is my DH bike and even though it has a single crown fork its still a 40lb dh rig and sucks to pedal. Is there a good bike shop in Auckland that has used bikes? I don't know anyone from the area.

Demomonkey

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
Auckland New Zealand
hehehe "rear end action" :weee:

My only fully is my DH bike and even though it has a single crown fork its still a 40lb dh rig and sucks to pedal. Is there a good bike shop in Auckland that has used bikes? I don't know anyone from the area.
If you're heading to Qtown you can rent some pretty good bikes. Trail and DH. In AKL most shops are pretty lame but RNR Sports on K Road (CBD fringe) sell 2nd hand bikes as does Cycle Xpress in Panmure which is a bit out of the way.

Like Whoops suggested, trademe is agood place to find a bike, not much on there now though. Good luck.

Straya

Monkey
Jul 11, 2008
Straya
Vorb.

or

Sack up and substitute "vital" baggage allowance for bike box and sort things like clothing, gear and toiletries out once you get there.

All you need are some boardies, singlet and pair of jandals anyway and you can wear them on the plane eh bro?

Rockland

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2003
Left hand path
I recently flew with my trail bike ( US Airways ). I broke down the bike completely, including taking the swingarm off. My first checked bag was a suitcase that contained layers of clothes surrounding the frame, fork & parts. Watched the weight of this one and came in just under 50 lbs. I put my wheels and bike shoes in a 26"x26"x10" reinforced cardboard box. This was checked as a second bag. My riding pack was a carry-on and contained my helmet. As long as you pack smart, this is the cheapest way.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
I could maybe squeeze the frame it under 62" total. The dimensions I just took are 40"x17"x7" So I'd have to squeeze off 2 inches somewhere I could maybe get away with 39x16.5x6.5 but I wouldn't know until I break it down and try to pack it.

The golf bag looks like a good idea but I'd have to check the dimensions.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I don't understand? Can you take some pictures or possibly do a storyboard in MS Paint to help me understand whats going on. It usually take me up to 5 or 6 pages to fully grasp what most of you are going on about in a thread.