Quantcast

So how does one get on a race team?

mplutodh1

Monkey
Nov 27, 2002
Sammamish, WA
Exactly, you need to be a student. And Drew, some changes are coming next year, not just open to anyone who's a student, I need more commitment.

To get on a team, show up to the races, talk to all of the teams you see around, make friends, talk to fellow racers in your categories or from your home town, start one if you aren't asked to join one.

Originally posted by TurkeyJerkey
With in resson one had a decent bike & lot of passion
Start your own... That's always a good option.

Just make sure you got a race resume and some cover letters.

PsychO! Mike helped us get started on that process - I'm sure lots of us here can give you input as well.

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
TJ, you should go for a ride with some of the local teams here, once they see your speed, you will be picked up quick! Ill never forget the night we went riding and you had the maglight taped to your helmet and schooled us all with our fancy lights ahahah:cool:

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
sometimes it takes a good resume, sometimes it's just knowing someone else that's already on a team.

are you looking to get on a team because of the friendships and comaradery(sp?) or are you just looking to get hooked up on a deal of some kind?

derekpearson

Monkey
Jan 25, 2004
where have you been riding and who do ride with. oh and what kind of trail you doing.... (if any) :p
Actually I havent had much time on my bike lately, Photography is keeping my weekends busy and Im in Redmond now during the week :( Im free friday morning tho? wanna go ride cap forest??

D

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
well hard to say really.... i just love to ride as fast as i can and then try going faster....most of the time with my eyes open...

I dont know much about race teams except race cars... but iam a team player.
as for a resume i have a great one....has nothing to do with Mt. biking tho...

i just what to ride with pepole who push me and then push me some more.... speed and control yet flow! As for "getting hooked up on a deal of some kind?" as you put it not really! sure you want to give me a better rig then i have now, hell yeah i will take it. heh a better rig then there would really be no stopping me..

Velocity Girl's Bike Beotch! <------- i take it that is the team your on? what class (or) kind of rides do you do! and do you like keep score on all your races? :devil:

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by MMike
Might want to back up here....

Are you talking a really competitive factory team, or just a laid back local grass roots team?
well not laid back like camel pack filled with Beer... Yet Not like 7 days week traveling.....well then again!!!! heh sure laid back factory.... i dont care... i just love that feeling when your on a trail and you know someone is in front of you, then you just see there back tire go around a turn.... that's when iam in the moment! i just love to ride!

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by derekpearson
Actually I havent had much time on my bike lately, Photography is keeping my weekends busy and Im in Redmond now during the week :( Im free friday morning tho? wanna go ride cap forest??

D

Photography is keeping my weekends busy <------- Sweet dude your the man with that there film box. you take sweet pics

i have never seen such crazy, trippy,funky, dark yet fuzzy with a slight tint of WoW in a pic before..... that is where your at man oh and you can take pics of me any time you want...just kinda let me know where and when you snap it cause.... jumping out of bushes makes me loose all DH Mt. biking skills... and it never feels good.. :dead:

As for riding on fri.... hmmm yeah....well we will see how the work thing goes on thursady.... might be able too...Steve said he was thinking about it on Fri also... we shall see

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by ChainWhip
Start your own... That's always a good option.

Just make sure you got a race resume and some cover letters.

PsychO! Mike helped us get started on that process - I'm sure lots of us here can give you input as well.
WoW thanks man......

starting my own hmmm.....

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by PsychO!1
Team TurkJerk!!!!
i dont know about that.....i think i can do better then that...i mean really now.... needs to be more.....................more something other then that!.
thanks for keeping my dreams alive brother!!!!

i dont know about that.....i think i can do better then that...i mean really now.... needs to be more.....................more something other then that!.
thanks for keeping my dreams alive brother!!!!
Cool, whatever you do....have fun with it. Don't take it all serious. If you can't hve fun with it, you'll just end hating it.

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by PsychO!1
Your not fun....that's why I hate you. ;) :D

Actaully it's cause your a Playa'

now now boys and girls no need for getting in a hissy fit.... and i dont care who started it!!!!! i take it you guys have a life of hell having to ride your bikes as much as you do.... heh some pepole!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta

Velocity Girl's Bike Beotch! <------- i take it that is the team your on? what class (or) kind of rides do you do! and do you like keep score on all your races? :devil:

LOL!!! You might be able to call that his team, since he is my beotch and all ;)

WoW thanks man......

starting my own hmmm.....
To echo some of the others' advice here, it helps to go out and find ppl from some of the teams to ride with. Get to know some of the members of the teams - ride w/ them.

You may find a spot on a team or you may find others that want to form a team (like we did over a year and a half ago).

But don't rule out starting your own thing... I think you'll find that ppl out at the races and the scene are less contentious than what you might read/see here on the PNW forum.

I find most racers to be super-helpful and friendly.

Like Derek says, get out to the races and rip it up!

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by ChainWhip
To echo some of the others' advice here, it helps to go out and find ppl from some of the teams to ride with. Get to know some of the members of the teams - ride w/ them.

You may find a spot on a team or you may find others that want to form a team (like we did over a year and a half ago).

But don't rule out starting your own thing... I think you'll find that ppl out at the races and the scene are less contentious than what you might read/see here on the PNW forum.

I find most racers to be super-helpful and friendly.

Like Derek says, get out to the races and rip it up!

"sniff..sniff.....sniffle......
can you feel the love"

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001
Originally posted by Velocity Girl
LOL!!! You might be able to call that his team, since he is my beotch and all ;)
ALL HAIL VELOCITY GIRL!

Velocity Girl is my Queen, and I am, her humble loyal Beotch.

TurkeyJerkey

Chimp
Aug 8, 2002
WA
Originally posted by DHRacer

hmmmm DHRacer you dont say much when your offline as soon as your online all hell breaks loose..... so i guess circle K is a hahahaha funny on me then is it?:angry:

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
hmmmm DHRacer you dont say much when your offline as soon as your online all hell breaks loose..... so i guess circle K is a hahahaha funny on me then is it?:angry:
Hey TerkeyJerky,

Word to the wise stay away from this guy. He is an azzhole.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
Seriously though come by and say high or hang out....we all joke around. The Circle K thing was a funny to me and I can explain it to you if you didn't get it at Beacon......once you hang out around the races you will see we are mostly harmless....except Oly....he can be mean (No, not really he is a cool guy.) Chainwhip is a nice guy to if you don't feed him Mexican food the night before a race. ;)

PS that is me riding in that picture....slow and steady.

Rhino "the Sport class Caboose" from WA

Originally posted by RhinofromWA
Seriously though come by and say high or hang out....we all joke around. The Circle K thing was a funny to me and I can explain it to you if you didn't get it at Beacon......once you hang out around the races you will see we are mostly harmless....except Oly....he can be mean (No, not really he is a cool guy.) Chainwhip is a nice guy to if you don't feed him Mexican food the night before a race. ;)

PS that is me riding in that picture....slow and steady.

Rhino "the Sport class Caboose" from WA
Gawd... I had BajaFresh yesterday... *moan*

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You should just ride independent for some WIMs and check it out. It's tougher to do solo, bike parts break, lotta lonely road miles, no sharing hotel costs. But if you dig it, and meet some people you'll fit right in eventually, and alot of things will get easier.

i wanted to race and petitioned all these guys but they wouldn't go for my stipulations that i get my own personal helicopter for road trips and shuttles and my own personal Asian massage expert for after the races. Hmmph whatever, if they want greatness, you gotta pay. Makes sense to me.....:rolleyes: :cool:

DHRacer

The Rev
Oct 8, 2001

awww, come on little buddy, turn that frown upside down.:D

man, one thing you'll need to learn, whether it's here on RM or at the races... we all give each other a ration a $hit... it's just our way of letting each other know we care (yeah, that's it... care):monkey: