Quantcast

So, How Hard Is It To ‘Long Shock’ my X2 Air?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Oury grips, they are at least 2.5mm more padded.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Why do you need 2.5mm?

Even if your 3:1 your talking about 7.5mm approx 1/3"...inflate your tires 5 psi..

If it's low add a smidge of air If your after a bit better position it's gonna change as soon as you load bike...
I can be an smartass sometimes, but this is a honest curiousity ??? Just honestly wondering.

Last edited:

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Because I am running a non mullet bike mullet, i want to maximize every single bit of potential crank arm clearance possibe. I already run 165, and I am in the tallest ride 9 setting, but I feel there is more to improve there with this mod.
And I like tinkering.
As I run a 27.5 in the rear, there is basically no chance of tire/ seat tube interference, so I figure "why not?"
Some dudes would kill for an extra 7.5mm, amirite?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Because I am running a non mullet bike mullet, i want to maximize every single bit of potential crank arm clearance possibe. I already run 165, and I am in the tallest ride 9 setting, but I feel there is more to improve there with this mod.
And I like tinkering.
As I run a 27.5 in the rear, there is basically no chance of tire/ seat tube interference, so I figure "why not?"
Some dudes would kill for an extra 7.5mm, amirite?
Yeah some would dig a bit extra .. lol

Cool, reason enough for my curiosity..that's awesome and yeah RM is home of the "gotta fu(k with it" cause it's there...Love this site...

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
And I like tinkering.
Sounds like you want to increase the i2i, not stroke? That may not be possibru.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Sounds like you want to increase the i2i, not stroke? That may not be possibru.
100%

Additionally, if you actually did the shock stroke change, and ran the suspension softer to actually use the travel, you would reduce your dynamic ride height.

Maintaining the same BB height under rider weight = not using the travel anyways

I am in the camp of “eccentric bushings” to increase i2i if you want higher and steeper geo

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
And no idea on a Fox, but if it was a Super Delux, they make all sorts of damper body kits with spacers, so you could order a 62.5 and get a 2.5mm spacer and have a longer 62.5 shock. I recently had to buy one because the damper body bleed screw rounds out so easy. The one I got was a 65 with 5mm spacer. I'm running it as 65, but in the future I could shorten it with the spacer (keeping the overall length) for a Smash GG setup.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Yes, you guys are correct, i-i. Maybe an imperial shock? I think i have 3-5mm to work with. First thing will be a 2.6 rear tire, and see if I can notice any difference.
Cool fact, in a fuck-you to everyone, Fox makes the metric-sized Marzocchi Bomber CR with imperial-sized internals.

807-64-023-KIT.jpg

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
Offset bushings don't work too well in that direction, they tend to rotate...
It might be better to get an old 240x74 shock, switch to another ride9 position and limit the stroke of the shock to what the frame can take

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
@marshalolson , do you know how to figure out what offset bushing will work on an Altitude? Rocky uses one proprietary bearing type thing on one end.

I just messaged these guys:

It the newer "roller bearing" style (google it)?
Those are, to my knowledge, mostly 8x30mm.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
@marshalolson , do you know how to figure out what offset bushing will work on an Altitude? Rocky uses one proprietary bearing type thing on one end.

I just messaged these guys:

IIRC I had those. They only work for shortening the i2i, not lengthening it. As @Happymtb.fr mentioned, they will spin with every hit and bump a little until they land in the shortest i2i position.