Quantcast

so how many monkeys would consider this a mountain bike?

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007

apparently now it has avid ultimates and a fox f29

unfortunately this is what mountain biking (apparently) is coming to here in blohio. who can spend the most money, have the lightest bike, and have it look best in their living room. :disgust1:

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
Well... once they put the missing parts back on, I'd consider it a mountain bike if it sees dirt and doesn't collapse on itself.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It is not what you ride but where and how you ride it. I have been ultimately shamed multiple times by superior riders on cyclocross and XC bikes with super long stems disturbingly narrow tires.

Sounds like an excuse to nail fat chicks doesn't it.

rogue22

Chimp
Dec 2, 2007
It is not what you ride but where and how you ride it. I have been ultimately shamed multiple times by superior riders on cyclocross and XC bikes with super long stems disturbingly narrow tires.

Sounds like an excuse to nail fat chicks doesn't it.
oh thats not the issue, I used to ride a long stemmed skinny tire xc bike but no fat chicks.:twitch:
Does it change anything to mention this rider is among the old gaurd in the local mtb organization that refuses to build any challenging trails or acknowledge any other forms of mtb other than xc race?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Why would you have a carbon frame and put bar ends on it? Heck...they could save more weight by putting a Thompson post on and a lighter stem with a carbon bar and getting rid of the bash guard.

idiots...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So do you consider that worse than the guy that bought a Foes Fly from my LBS, then had it painted to match his Escalade? He had a lot of money and had never ridden before, but the build was sick and cost a little over $6k. Looked great mounted on the new roof rack, too.

I'm with Manimal on that, though. My 230+ frame would make that bike cry :D

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I could never ride that thing on our technical New England trails.

Then again, I use a 30+ pound long travel bike to make up for my lack of skill.

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
That's all you needed to say, right there.

Seriously, there are several nice carbon frames on the market, for XC use. Here in Arizona they would last all of ten minutes on the rock, the first trip on Desert Classic, Haws, or McDowell comp loops would do some serious damage.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
You act like there's something wrong with the owner of that bike only being interested in XC race-style riding... How is that somehow not the same level of lameness as all the kids that swing from Sam Hill's nuts and don't even own a bike that can be pedaled on flat ground?

Except for the Tune saddle all of the stuff on that bike is perfectly fine for xc racing, even on gasp technical trails.

Mountainbiking is broader than your personal definition, and people don't have to see eye to eye on bikes, trails, or riding partners...

I blame the media

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I wish I had a nickel for every hater thread. "Everyone who doesn't ride exactly like me is gay!" :rolleyes:

If you want more challenging trails, get involved, and start building them.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I wish I had a nickel for every hater thread. "Everyone who doesn't ride exactly like me is gay!" :rolleyes:

If you want more challenging trails, get involved, and start building them.
:imstupid:

Echo here's a toast for your bold but correct statements...

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
If that frame is what I think it is - it was part of a mountain biker group buy and was only about 600 bucks or so. With a chain it definitely looks like a mountain bike to me - and one that someone could pedal very fast at that.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Its a Mail Order frame..... I have seen this frame before. It is made over seas from a company that makes a lot of Carbon parts. The funny thing is this company makes some parts you see with other vendors names on it here in the US.

Nebraska

Chimp
Apr 26, 2004
Voluntown CT
To each his own on what he/she rides...

XC is no longer my cup of tea...was for years...

One question I'd have for the guy, who built it...

Why the bash ring and no Big Ring?
So you're paying for the carbon so it’s light, I assume to ride fast...
you should have the eggs to turn over the big ring and skills to protect it...

As for hating the guy for organizing trail work…try organizing

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Why the bash ring and no Big Ring?
So you're paying for the carbon so it’s light, I assume to ride fast...
you should have the eggs to turn over the big ring and skills to protect it...
Note no small ring either. I'm guessing it is a single speed.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I don't know the OP or anything about him but this post really annoys me.

Stop hating and celebrate the fact that cyclists reflect the diversity of society as a whole. How boring would it be if we all agreed on what and where to ride?

How about looking at how much you have in common, as opposed to how much you are different?

Not only that, but how about giving the guy props for being part of the "old guard" in an mtb organization? He is probably part of the reason you have ANYTHING to ride legally. If you don't agree with his approach, why not get involved and engage in an intelligent debate? Attend some meetings, draft some proposals, talk to local officials, etc. You know, actually do some work and put in some effort.

Rant over.

:disgust1:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I thought it was funny (and sad) when I got my ass handed to me by a 50 year old dude on an 80's steel Stumpjumper. So much for my youth and technology savvy bike :rofl:

Remember, kids: It's not about the ride, it's about the ride. -JSG

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
Haha, that is kind of how I felt when riding with you!

I'd rock that bike, as long as I could fit on it properly. Looks light and it probably flies up and down trails.

Needs gears and a chain though.

Would you call this a mountain bike?

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
The most skilled rider I have ever met continues to ride a 1989 Bridgestone full rigid. He is in his mid 50s and has no interest getting a a more "modern" mountain bike. He doesn't soak up rock gardens with plushness & speed. He masters them with experience, skill and 1.2" tires. :)

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
Why would you have a carbon frame and put bar ends on it? Heck...they could save more weight by putting a Thompson post on and a lighter stem with a carbon bar and getting rid of the bash guard.

idiots...
youngins :disgust:

I'd ride that bike round here where the trails are pretty tame. Why not. I have a 5 - 6 inch travel bike for other riding.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Haha, that is kind of how I felt when riding with you!

You were the freak riding the rigid singlespeed. I was rocking every possible modern conveinience available for a bike, short of disks. Vee brakes rule.